Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Technicolor TG799vn v2 ECI or Huawei?  (Read 2454 times)

sof006

• Reg Member
Technicolor TG799vn v2 ECI or Huawei?
« on: August 16, 2017, 10:56:54 PM »

Hey guys, sort of new here (sort of)...

I've been lurking around for sometime and have been curious to find the best VDSL2 modem to use on my line. I am connected to a ECI exchange and I have been swapping between a HG612 Openreach modem and using the internal modem on the DSL-AC68U. I have recently acquired a TG799vn v2 VDSL2 router/modem combo box but I am wondering what chipset it uses, I can see that one site suggests maybe broadcom but cannot seem to find solid evidence. Basically my question is, will it work without causing errors on my ECI exchange.

Psychomech

• Just arrived
Re: Technicolor TG799vn v2 ECI or Huawei?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 11:54:34 PM »

Definitely a broadcom chipset in the technicolor.  I found it gave similar results to the HG612 when I used it on my ECI exchange.  I found that my Homehub 5A would sync 3-4Mbps faster on my line.

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 10:17:54 AM »

Definitely a broadcom chipset in the technicolor.  I found it gave similar results to the HG612 when I used it on my ECI exchange.  I found that my Homehub 5A would sync 3-4Mbps faster on my line.

I decided to purchase a TP-Link Archer VR200 AC750 VDSL2 Router/Modem combo mentioned in this thread http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14436.0 as it appears to be the best choice for me, not bothered about WiFi speeds from it as i'll be using it in modem mode and using a AC68U as a router.

The TP Link appears to be using a Lantiq chipset which is a match for the one in the ECI exchange that i'm hooked up to.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 01:56:48 PM »

Being a match makes absolutely no difference. I found Broadcom chipsets perform much better than Lantiq on my ECI cab. The Mediatek chipset in the DSL-AC68U was the worst of them all.
Every line is different. Find what suits your line best, matching vendor chipset or not.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 03:03:36 PM »

Being a match makes absolutely no difference. I found Broadcom chipsets perform much better than Lantiq on my ECI cab. The Mediatek chipset in the DSL-AC68U was the worst of them all.
Every line is different. Find what suits your line best, matching vendor chipset or not.

At least by default the MediaTek is the worst, but with tweaked settings I'm actually having success with it at the moment (tests and results to be concluded next week).

Broadcom funnily enough I had more CRC errors and ES than I did when I used a router/modem with a Lantiq/Infineon chipset (connected to an ECI DSLAM). But thing is every line will most likely perform differently. Broadcom may work better on one line compared to another line.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 05:50:51 PM »

I haven't used it as a modem on a long time, but I've been following your thread with interest.
I've always kept it handy due to its ability to override the DSLAM.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

anything