Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VDSL Speed - issues or not?  (Read 2479 times)

MrHomer

• Just arrived
VDSL Speed - issues or not?
« on: May 04, 2016, 06:27:07 PM »

Afternoon all

I'm a newb here so bear with! Been on VDSL for a bit now but moved to a new property, I used to sync at 80/20 but I'm a little further from the cabinet now.

I've had problems with speed for a while and I think I have had a few resyncs. Up until this evening I was using an ECI modem but I've just received a HG612 and unlocked it to get hold of stats (I'm on Sky - stuff their hub)

I have an engineer booked for tomorrow, as previous to this I am sync'd at 27.4 which is low... now I have some proper stats I was hoping somebody may be able to confirm my suspicions that the line isn't right?

I'm on mydslstats under MrHomer, I've noticed that while I'm on G.INP however I am interleaved. My attain rate is quite high as well, but sync is comparatively crap.

https://www.mydslwebstats.co.uk/Container.htm

Any advice is welcome, and I hope I can contribute to this forum, I know plenty about most things other than xDSL

Cheers! ^_^

oh and wholesale has me down for the following:

FTTC Range A (Clean)   55.5   42.7   11.9   7.8   --   Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)   41.7   22.4   9.6   5   --   Available

Dave2150

• Reg Member
Re: VDSL Speed - issues or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 06:31:03 PM »

Looks like you've been banded to 27.4Mbit. The engineer tomorrow should be able to do a DLM reset, causing your SNR to revert to 6DB and your sync to be alot closer to your attainable rate, most likely 32-34Mbit. Your line looks very similar to mine, have a look at my stats (Dave2150) for a rough idea what your line should look like.

MrHomer

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 07:10:58 PM »

Thanks Dave, I was thinking along those lines tbh. Hopefully we get a helpful OR engineer tomorrow.

MrHomer

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 10:13:45 AM »

One other thing I've noticed this morning, error seconds is up to 107 on upstream... something else to worry about? Bitswaps are at 46k on downstream, 550 upstream and 76k FEC errors on downstream

MrHomer

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 06:26:27 AM »

So OR visited yesterday, couldn't find anything on the line and apparently our 'ac balance' is 70 although I am unsure what this is, but he says it is good.

He has said our cab is a real mess, so I guess this won't be helping much either.

DLM reset and sync slightly higher which is fine but I think the errors are a little high but I don't know?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 10:47:26 PM »

MrHomer since your line has now gone onto the G.INP profile the CRC's errors have decreased by 90% errored seconds of 50 is looking good but you need a good 24 hours worth of downloaded stats to see how those errors look

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 04:06:11 PM »

MrHomer since your line has now gone onto the G.INP profile the CRC's errors have decreased by 90% errored seconds of 50 is looking good but you need a good 24 hours worth of downloaded stats to see how those errors look

He's on interleaving mate.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 03:08:13 PM »

The DLM reset dropped the line back from G.INP to an interleaved profile, but this was changed fairly swiftly - faster than the regular 2 days. This looks to have been a deliberate action, caused by the error rate.

G.INP was activated again, though we are still seeing some CRCs and errored seconds (which means retransmission doesn't always succeed). That suggests there is definitely some noise on there.

However, the kind of rate the errored seconds are being seen - 40 per 24 hours - isn't a problem.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 09:34:08 PM »

He's on interleaving mate.

That is why MDWS was invented to see users real-time stats rather than just looking at one snapshot of line stats which is probably  old & irrelevant to when the next data was taken.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:38:16 PM by NewtronStar »