Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Second Line Wiring Query  (Read 2104 times)

vic0239

• Reg Member
Second Line Wiring Query
« on: May 03, 2016, 02:28:57 PM »

I am considering getting a second line and just wanted clarification as to how it would be provisioned before going ahead.

Originally my master socket was downstairs in the hall, but it was moved to my “office”, where my computer equipment is located, some years ago when I first got broadband. Two runs of cable were used, one to extend the incoming line upstairs and the other to reconnect the extensions back downstairs. These each have 4 pairs. The cable from the street junction box has 4 pairs although only one pair has been crimped for the line extension.

So can I assume that the new line will just make use of a second pair and I’ll have to inform the installer of the extension and the need to crimp a further pair? What will happen at the existing master socket? Will the pair for the new line just be brought out and a second master socket installed? Or is there a type of SSFP with an additional RJ45/11 socket perhaps?

Many thanks.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Second Line Wiring Query
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 06:29:54 PM »

Assuming that you want the second circuit to also be available in your office, a new NTE5/A would be provided adjacent to the pre-existing one. That would then be fitted with its own SSFP.

Depending upon the complexity of the existing wiring (in the eyes of the installer), there will be more than one way of getting the new circuit to your office. I would expect that another pair from the incoming service feed would be used.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

vic0239

• Reg Member
Re: Second Line Wiring Query
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 06:46:04 PM »

Many thanks b*cat for confirming my supposition.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

anything