Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Aluminium Telephone Cables - Expected Lifetime?  (Read 8567 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: Aluminium Telephone Cables - Expected Lifetime?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 05:02:22 PM »

I'm not convinced there's any will or plan to replace aluminium cable proactively.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 06:01:02 PM »

@Dave2150 I think the long term thinking is to do gfast from existing cabs first then push it further out into the network, hopefully they do that pretty quickly.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Dave2150

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 05:07:14 PM »

I'm not convinced there's any will or plan to replace aluminium cable proactively.

Hopefully G.Fast will mean BT will have to replace some aluminium - as I assume the higher frequencies of G.Fast will exasperate aluminium's affect on the signals etc.

@ Ronsky - I do hope more information is shared soon - at least in the trial press releases we saw Fibre being installed at the DP's - so we know that's in BT's toolkit.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 06:32:09 PM »

Hopefully G.Fast will mean BT will have to replace some aluminium - as I assume the higher frequencies of G.Fast will exasperate aluminium's affect on the signals etc.

That would mean a change in their position to date, which seems to be that your phone line is what it is, and that you can only get the broadband quality that your phone line supports.   Unless there are precedents for BT (or BTW or OR) upgrading cabling to allow it to support new broadband standards, does anyone know of any?

Anecdotally it seems to be difficult to get BT to even agree that existing line quality necessarily has to be maintained, let alone improved.  I've seen several posts on Plusnet from people who've been told their reduction in speed is because their line has "degraded" and that this isn't a fault that will be addressed.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 07:42:17 PM »

I know my old adsl line had this

1840m 0.2 copper
1410m 0.6 copper
360m 0.6 copper

However that doesnt add up as the line length was 3.9km from exchange to pole.

Also my engineer told me last year I have some ali at end of run for 50m or so which is missing from the above data.
Pages: 1 [2]