Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FEC ES spikes same time each night?  (Read 1633 times)

cefacat1

• Just arrived
FEC ES spikes same time each night?
« on: May 25, 2016, 10:04:56 AM »

Hi Guys,

I have an ADSL line which has been showing a significant spike in FEC and ES over night - commencing at 9pm precisely and ceasing at 5am.

SNR does not show any real variance between those times, generally moves between 6 and 7 dB. Line is otherwise stable and doesn't re-synch.

I'm thinking there is an electrical noise issue caused by something on a time switch but there are no appliances in use on a timer. I would also have thought that SNRM would have been impacted as well in this case?

The stats are on MDWS under cefacat1 if anyone would care to have a look...the 4 day view of FEC in particular shows the pattern quite well. Please ignore the 24th as a power failure ruined the run. Murphy's law in action!  :)

I'd be grateful for any insight.

It's an ADSL1 connection on a long line but has been very stable for a number of years. This behaviour has only recently started over the last week or so.

Thanks,
Mike

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: FEC ES spikes same time each night?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 10:19:53 AM »

Considering the time of year it looks to me like it could be a street light might be a problem as it starts about the time they would come on and stops when they would go off - dusk-dawn. Or if no street lights it cold be another light somewhere.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

cefacat1

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 10:33:18 AM »

Thanks Stuart,

My apologies, I should have said that I'm from downunder in Aus - so it's winter down here! Street lights are on from about 5ish of an evening now.

It could possibly be someone's security light that only comes on late I suppose - I might have to go for a walk around and see what I can find.

I guess I'm a little surprised that it doesn't impact the SNRM - I was under the impression that noise generally showed up in that as well. I'm still learning...and have a long way to go!

The usability of the line isn't too bad (at least up to the point I go to bed!)- it's more a curiosity thing to see if I can track down the source.

Cheers,
Mike

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 11:07:10 AM »

Apologies Mike, I suspect 90%+ of contributors here are UK or maybe Europe based so its a natural assumption.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

anything