Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: One Drive!  (Read 3450 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
One Drive!
« on: May 01, 2016, 03:22:38 PM »

I had my first experience of using One Drive to upload files to a Microsoft site re a question I had about non installing updates.

Took ages (squared ::)). What are others' experiences? Have they got round the slowness somehow?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: One Drive!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 03:40:24 PM »

I've just dragged a 130MB file to my one drive and it took about 4 minutes to upload, I do have an upload speed of 6.5Mbps. I also use cloud backup and it never utilises the entire bandwidth.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 05:58:31 PM »

Are you FTTC? I am not, so my upload is a lot slower than yours, and the folder and contents were 29MB.

Iain

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 07:49:52 PM »

One Drive is great if you have a Windows phone, it keeps a copy of any pictures you take so you always have a back of them. Alas I changed phones last month, but its the feature I miss the most. It works pretty quickly for me, but then I do have FTTC and am very close to the cabinet and exchange!

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 08:06:05 PM »

You can probably get a Onedrive app for your new phone

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 09:17:12 PM »

Are you FTTC? I am not, so my upload is a lot slower than yours, and the folder and contents were 29MB.

It's hardly one drives fault if you have a slow upload, any sort of upload will suffer. Yes as I said I have an upload of 6.5 Mbps,  so cleary not adsl  ;)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 01:13:40 AM »

I used to use OneDrive and I did find uploads sometimes slow. I use Windows and Mac and the mac client is rubbish.  So I now pay for Dropbox Pro and I have no issues with it.

I guess it's whatever your needs are, but I've not heard now of any issues with OneDrive.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 07:38:30 AM »

I have never used OneDrive but I use Google Drive all the time, it is great but I have had to adapt my usage due to my very slow net connection at home.

If I upload a file without controlling the bandwidth then it saturates my connection (typically 0.9 mbps bandwidth!) resulting in other members of the family getting time-out errors, bad requests etc and much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

So now I have to bandwidth limit my uploads, I have done this using CloudSync on my Synology NAS but there are lots of different ways.

In a downwards direction GoogleDrive is very fast in my experience.

Chunks

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 09:19:32 AM »

When I was on adsl I had the same problem as Chunkers,  my cloud backup would saturate the upstream.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 09:50:04 PM »

@Ronski and Clunckers

Did the upload saturation happen if you uploaded to any site or just onedrive?

I noticed when I was on dsl with Pipex I didnt have any issues with uploading and downloading until near the end. Then whenever I tried to upload something my downloads would crawl.

I wondered if its something Pipex did as it hadnt happened before that point, and after it happened all the time. I then left Pipex for Be and my uploads worked properly again.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 06:29:28 AM »

It was only Cloudplan that I  remember,  but that was the only upload that was big enough to cause problems,  this was when I was on Adsl.