Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Do ES/SES and CRC affect user experience in real time?  (Read 1629 times)

N0STIE

• Reg Member
Do ES/SES and CRC affect user experience in real time?
« on: April 29, 2016, 10:09:52 PM »

Everyone talks about these errors here, I have always been wondering whether they affect user experience in real time. For example I used to get about 700-800 ES per day without G.INP while ago, most of them were appearing between 6pm-11pm and loads of CRCs as well but I have never experienced any disconnections or anything like that. Let's say I am browsing the internet and downloading at 8pm in the evening and getting 40-60 ES while doing so. Will the websites open slower and will the download speed be lower? Don't get mixed up that websites will open slower, because I am downloading. What I mean is will it be slower when the errors appear at the same time?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 10:22:06 PM by N0STIE »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: Do ES/SES and CRC affect user experience in real time?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 08:17:38 AM »

In my experience if its just a few CRC no.  Generally speaking a reasonable rule of thumb I apply is that SES is service affecting ES, is not providing the amount of CRC per second is small (single digits).

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 10:39:01 AM »

As chrys said...  you are unlikely to notice a few CRCs.

Re E/Secs - depends on the amount.  If its the odd one, then you are unlikely to notice it.
However if its a cluster together then you could. Ive noticed E/Secs before, the connection will become laggy and some web pages may take a tiny bit longer to load. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 05:29:52 PM »

The reason I am asking is because I noticed most web pages load a little bit slower at evenings when probably most errors appear. The time between mouse click and DNS response is longer. Websites react much faster in the morning and even at 2-3pm. What may be the case?

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 10:04:44 AM »

It might be that the Internet or your ISP is just generally busy in the evenings.  Next time, out of interest try pings to your DNS server to see if the response time is worse, or you're losing replies.  Generally I wouldn't expect errors to have this effect unless they're really bad.  Say you error rate is one every 5 seconds, enough for BT to flag your line as bad and needing to slow down - that's only one error in hundreds or thousands of packets.

anything