Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VDSL2 - Two Bonded Circuits  (Read 2149 times)

iMx

VDSL2 - Two Bonded Circuits
« on: April 28, 2016, 12:45:39 PM »

I'm quite glad actually, as I have 2 lines that I bond over L2 tunnels, 1 had G.INP the other had crazy interleaving.  At least both have crazy interleaving now :)

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
Re: VDSL2 - Two Bonded Circuits
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 12:49:57 PM »

How do you bond two VDSL2 lines mate?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 12:30:37 PM by kitz »

iMx

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 12:55:41 PM »

Couple of ways, can do the basic round-robin maintaining session affinity where required (i.e HTTPS), but then you obviously preset 2 IPs to the internet.

Preferred way, 1 OpenBSD firewall at home, 1 the in the DC.  Each DSL line in its own routing domain, so multiple discrete default routes are possible, then run 2 OpenVPN Layer 2 tunnels between the 2 OpenBSD boxes, trunk them to one interface at both ends, bridge the interface/trunk at the DC end, to then pass the /27 from the DC to the firewall at home.

I think my preferred way is more or less what Zeroshell does, but I prefer OpenBSD for my routers/firewalls :)

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 01:38:46 PM »

So basically I can do this with any two VDSL2 lines from any provider? What sort of pings do you get? Any speedtests?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 12:31:00 PM by kitz »

iMx

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 08:15:54 AM »

You can, although similar latency will clearly help if using the VPN bonding method, not quite so much of an issue if you're just round-robin-ing over the 2 lines. 

Round robin over 2 lines will more or less give you full line rate of both lines, if the destination supports multiple IPs for the session without breaking but you can be sensibl with policy based routing to only push some traffic over 1 line/IP, the trunking/bonding method you end up with about 80% and I see about 4-5ms latency increase as the dedicated bonding box peers well with my ISP.  Then just a few up/down scripts to remove the OpenVPN L2 interfaces from the trunk as/when the VPN health checks time out, to control fail over fail back

A&A, ISP I use, also allow you to control the routing of your IPs over the lines, so you can bond from their end if you wish.  The advantage with VPN bonding, is that it doesn't require anything from the ISP, you can get extra IPs from the host you're using from.

Apologies for the topic digression.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 04:29:41 PM »

Apologies for the topic digression.

I've split these posts off the original thread so that you and DN can continue the discussion, if you so wish.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.