Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC speed/profile declining over time  (Read 1673 times)

Jon555

FTTC speed/profile declining over time
« on: April 29, 2016, 11:52:30 AM »

I know, what a surprise, however it would be nice if it can be improved somehow. I've mostly used the same HG612 modem for my Infinity connection (for about the last year with the B030SP08 WebGUI firmware) and the speed keeps slowly trickling downwards. I wondered if anyone has any suggestions to pick it back up (or things I might get BT to do, plus how)?

When originally installed I got a 30.1Mbps connection and it's now down to circa 22Mbps.
The first Profile information I have (from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/) said the IP profile for my line was 28.71Mbps and it's currently on 21.66 (via 25.37 and 23.12).

I've attached the output of:
  xdslcmd info --stats
  xdslcmd info --pbParams
  xdslcmd info --QLN
  xdslcmd info --Hlog
  xdslcmd info --SNR
  xdslcmd info --Bits
concatenated into one file (in the order given above) in case it's any help.

I'm pretty much out of my assorted BT contracts (line rental, Infinity, etc.) but presumably changing to someone else still gets me the same connection (and BT engineers controlling it) unless I go to Virgin, which I don't want to.

One other question is whether getting another modem would help, is there a noticeably better product out there? Finally if anyone has an ISP for Infinity they think is better than BT without being very expensive I'd like to know. Do note nether of these is the main question, which is how to fix what I have, so answers to that are the main thing I'd appreciate.

Thanks!

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: FTTC speed/profile declining over time
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 12:14:53 PM »

DLM has capped your line due to disconnections. These disconnections are possibly due to some line fault, which you will need an Openreach technician visit to resolve. However there may be other reasons, including problems in your extension wiring. If the problems are due to your extension wiring, you may be charged for a technician to visit to the tune of about 130 quid.

Was your connection installed by an Openreach technician or was it a self-install?

Jon555

Re: FTTC speed/profile declining over time
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 12:28:08 PM »

It was done by an OpenReach technician, although I had to explain transmission line theory and how to fix it when his initial attempt didn't get the expected speed. (A previous BT genius had wired the upstairs extension as a separate connection to the master, so I had a T, which probably contributed to crap ADSL speeds for a few years.) The wiring is currently just into the house master socket and straight to the infinity socket with no other connections.

(Edit) P.S. I called and an Engineer will be around on Tue. I wondered if some of the handy power cuts we've had contributed, as they do like having 3-4 in a single day (not that often, but they do come in groups), usually the next one coming just as soon as I start fixing the NAS.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 12:31:53 PM by Jon555 »

anything