Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Re-wiring an extension (for broadband)  (Read 5081 times)

hercules

Re: Re-wiring an extension (for broadband)
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 09:04:10 AM »

I've been thinking about this and have a follow-up question...

At the moment I'm intending to follow the advice above i.e. install a filtered faceplate on the master socket, then run a Cat 5e to the extension with data over one pair and telephone over another pair, and then have the home hub and second phone & bell plugged into the extension.

However, I was wondering whether it would be possible to plug the home hub into the filtered faceplate at the master socket, and then in the extension cable run the actual network connection from the hub ethernet output socket over two pairs, and the telephone over another pair. So that would obviously mean that the extension would need an RJ45 output for connecting into the computer that is next to the extension. And of course there would still be the BT socket for the phone and bell (and potentially, if it proves necessary, also the bell wire). The practical advantage of doing this is that the home hub would provider Wi-Fi access in the area around the master socket, and that would in fact be quite useful!

I think the question reduces to whether there would be an issue with running a network connection and phone line over a single Cat 5e cable. I hope that makes sense!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:18:53 AM by hercules »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 09:36:02 AM »

I think the question reduces to whether there would be an issue with running a network connection and phone line over a single Cat 5e cable. I hope that makes sense!
Yes, that would work, although note 2 pairs would only give you 100Mbps (fast) ethernet - you need 4 pairs for 1Gbps.

hercules

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 10:14:03 AM »

Great, thanks. Fast ethernet is perfectly sufficient as the link will only ever be used to extend my Dad's soon-to-arrive BT Infinity connection, and that is expected to be up to 50Mbps.

hercules

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 09:15:58 AM »

One last question to help me avoid blowing up Dad's wiring at the weekend  :)

I am wondering about the connection between the 'A' and 'B' on the data line from this ADSL faceplate and the BT socket. This Kitz page mentions the AB connectors, but it doesn't specify which pins they should join to on a BT socket.

This page suggests the following:

For more pictures, read my section on wiring the NTE5, but take notice that on the NTE5 above, you can see six terminals on the face plate.

Some may have 1-6, some have 2-5 (as 1 and 6 do not do anything anyway, and ADSL faceplates usually come with 2-5 and AB (not the BT AB connectors) the AB connectors on the ADSL faceplates are used for extensions as terminals 2 and 5 are, they are for if you choose to have ADSL and VOICE or just VOICE services on your extensions or not.

When using an ADSL faceplate, I will point out that when using the AB connectors for extensions instead of 2 and 5 connectors, the wire you would place in 2 connects to B, and the wire you connect to 5, connects to A.

So, 'A' goes to pin 5, and 'B' goes to pin 2. Is that correct?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 12:00:16 PM »

Assuming that you are going for option 1 rather than extend the Ethernet, it would be preferable to have an RJ11 socket for the Hub to plug in to rather than a phone socket, that way you can plug in directly rather than via a filter or converter. In which case the A & B need to be connected to 3 & 4 in the RJ11 socket. If you do use a phone socket, then connect to 2 & 5.  Polarity doesn't matter at all in either case.

hercules

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 03:57:00 PM »

Very helpful as ever. Thank you.
Pages: 1 [2]