Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Error seconds out of control?  (Read 8656 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Error seconds out of control?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 07:35:23 PM »

This is just my musing . . . and it is really just directed towards Special Operative N*Star.

I am wondering if an all night power down, along with the disconnection of the modem - filter link cable, would be beneficial?  :-\

Have seen the square wave effect on the SNRm quite a few times and an overnight power down cured it but have never seen this effect on CRC's worth a try

edit: But they have an engineer booked for tomorrow so that will deffo relax that MSAN
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:43:57 PM by NewtronStar »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 10:32:40 PM »

I'll put today's failed GEA Test up to decipher.

First thing I noted was the two "rate assessment" results of 'very good' up and just 'reasonable' down. I recall an ISP forum report of a similar assessment for ADSL.

Second was that, by the profiles, you aren't banded after all.

Third, back up to the top, that the test failure could immediately point at the ES and SES problems.

Fourth, back down to the bottom, that the profiles remained with error protection off.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 10:36:04 PM »

Also the resync today at 13:33 was caused by a massive crc burst I wasn't even using the Internet at the time either as I wasn't home.

Cause or effect?

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 10:41:35 PM »

Massive crc burst which caused multiple SES which seems to have initiated a RDI 1 resync.

I'm actually surprised that DLM isn't hammering me again today as the ES are still in the red by a significant amount.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:47:04 PM by S.Stephenson »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 11:08:02 PM »

I'm actually surprised that DLM isn't hammering me again today as the ES are still in the red by a significant amount.

Caused by the open profile affect the DLM gathers your stats and then applies the results onto your line in 48 hours

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 11:11:40 PM »

Power cut was initiated by a lightning strike that was quite close, none of my modems went down or were damaged as they are under the protection of a UPS, I manually initiated the re-syncs while there was no power.

The above should be carefully explained to the Openreach technician, tomorrow. You could, perhaps, ask if it is possible that the SSFP and NTE5/A were damaged in the above event. With an understanding technician, you may have a new NTE5/A and SSFP fitted and then, after all other investigations are completed, a "circuit recalc" (to use the Openreach terminology).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 12:36:06 PM »

Massive crc burst which caused multiple SES which seems to have initiated a RDI 1 resync.

I asked because, in MDWS, the CRC count gets included after the resync, not before. The sample at 13:31 shows nothing, but the sample at 13:33 shows the resulting speed from the resync, the resulting SNRM, and the CRCs together. The granularity isn't enough to tell the chicken from the egg.

As DLM doesn't seem to have instigated anything (and it ought not react to something as fast as a CRC burst within the last minute), we should assume the RDI means the DSLAM detected something wrong inbound from you (ie an upstream fault).

I wonder ...

If the lightning strike has caused a similar problem to *all* lines in the cabinet, perhaps the "wide area event" detection continues to prohibit DLM intervention.

I'm looking forward to hearing what the engineer says...

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 03:43:16 PM »

If the lightning strike has caused a similar problem to *all* lines in the cabinet, perhaps the "wide area event" detection continues to prohibit DLM intervention.

You have a valid point.

afaik "Wide Area Event" was for the MTBR calculation.
However reading again it does say "OR  >50% of users with uptime experiencing errors && >10% of users with uptime experienced a resync." so there is the possibility that it could also affect MTBE.

I'm also interested in what the engineer finds.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 06:12:23 PM »

Looking like a no show, especially since I've had no messages and appointment was 8am-1pm.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2016, 07:17:20 PM »

Your line could do with a bit interleaving you are five times over the DLM ES limit with 15599 have never seen this amount of errored seconds on MDWS with a FTTC line before absolute crazy.

May be in the wee small hours you will get some error protection activated

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2016, 08:34:24 PM »

I'd imagine it would make the line more stable but even if it did the line would be vastly underperforming.

I'll have to see what the Openreach technician says tomorrow.

Does the pattern of CRCs give anyone an idea of what it could be?

Also if this patten continues I'll have more error seconds then there are seconds  :D

Also why are the upload FECs still alright considering that the download is knackered?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:45:53 PM by S.Stephenson »

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2016, 09:48:09 PM »

I swapped my modems around and at first it seemed to have stopped the problem but it's looking worse now  ???

I'm stumped I've done everything I can personally do i'll just have to hope the technician knows what the problem is.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2016, 11:36:40 PM »

After the no show of engineer have you been able find out when they will visit your premises ?

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2016, 11:44:40 PM »

After the no show of engineer have you been able find out when they will visit your premises ?

Tomorrow 8am-1pm hopefully.

According to Plusnet Openreach cancelled the appointment today for no reason...

Looks like I'm heading for 10x over the ES threshold I'm expecting to get hammered into the ground soon by DLM.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2016, 11:50:47 PM »

If the engineer shows up tomorrow and finds a fault then fixes it you won't be hammered if they reset the DLM
Pages: 1 [2] 3