Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Error seconds out of control?  (Read 8657 times)

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
Error seconds out of control?
« on: April 28, 2016, 11:11:10 AM »

I am getting more error seconds today than I did yesterday, that was due to me getting my snr to 0 so what's causing it?

Does it look like a problem?

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Error seconds out of control?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 11:26:50 AM »

Is this the line you lost G.INP on?

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 11:28:06 AM »

It's a new line that never had g.inp.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 11:31:34 AM »

I can't see any reason why it should be continuing to rack up the E/Sec as the SNRm seems stable.

The really odd thing is that I would have expected DLM to take action after yesterday and although there is still time, it does seem weird that you still appear to be on open profile.    Openreach are obviously messing with g.inp and there is something strange going on, but no-one seems to be telling much. 

One thing I would suggest is that you said you had a power cut yesterday.   It is not unknown for some routers to have a hissy after power cuts.  Powercuts can sometimes affect the bit loading table ... bit swap often goes crazy after power surges and power cuts.   One modem I used to have was notorious for it, and I think a few people have also noticed that it can happen on theirs too.
May be an idea to power everything down for about 1/2 hour (dont need to leave it this long, just a suggestion to avoid DLM - but leave it at least a couple of mins), then switch back on and hopefully get a fresh BAT to see if that helps.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 02:53:28 PM »

Think they've banded me  :'(

I'll try your suggestion though.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 04:34:31 PM »

Just a view of my traffic lights on DSLWS.

Do I have the record for error seconds?

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 05:13:00 PM »

The ES's are caused by CRC's, so take a look at that graph... You will see the big burst yesterday, when SNRM was 0. However, you will also see lots of bursts that are semi-regular: around once per hour (but only roughly), and for around 10-15 minutes.

The ES graph only samples once per hour, so you don't see the same granularity as you do on the CRC graph (once per minute).

Figuring out what happens with that kind of pattern will probably help solve the root cause.

But, look more closely at the CRC graph, and you will see a general "fuzziness" down near the X-axis, between all the obvious peaks. Those CRC's keep happening constantly, at a low level, but they are almost hidden by the height of the peak.

Think they've banded me  :'(

From the speed & SNRM values, it does look that way. But any DLM intervention (if that is what it was) hasn't changed the INP or delay values - strange.

Equally strange is that, since the resync, you are getting a lot of downstream FECs. By hovering over the "XTR" box at the top, I can see (from "R=6") that FEC has been activated downstream without Interleaving (as that graph still shows a constant D=1).

So, even though you are getting a lot of FECs since the resync, and the height of the CRC peaks has decreased, you are still getting some CRCs at a fairly constant rate - so the slope of the ES graph hasn't changed.

If DLM did intervene, it did so in a funny way (by banding alone) that allowed FEC's to be turned on (but less effectively, without the interleaving), and it has had little outcome on the real issue - all those ES's. It would be interesting to see if there is any packet loss, and if that has changed from earlier.

and although there is still time, it does seem weird that you still appear to be on open profile.    Openreach are obviously messing with g.inp and there is something strange going on, but no-one seems to be telling much.

It's almost like they've broken it, since pausing the ECI rollout...

The really odd thing is that I would have expected DLM to take action after yesterday

[...]

One thing I would suggest is that you said you had a power cut yesterday.

If the power cut was widespread enough, perhaps DLM discounted the day as a wide-area event.

Just a view of my traffic lights on DSLWS.

Do I have the record for error seconds?

An enviable record indeed!

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 05:25:39 PM »

Just a update on the Plusnet side of things

The fault location they have is CI which I was told is a configuration issue so it may be that they have messed up DLM on ECI at the moment  ???

I'll put today's failed GEA Test up to decipher.

In the meantime i'm turning of my HG612 for awhile like kitz suggested.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 05:35:53 PM »

The GEA line test is very impressive. It answers a lot of questions

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 06:15:10 PM »

S.Stephenson's CRC graph has three distinct quiet periods in 3 hours marked as blue X
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:20:39 PM by NewtronStar »

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 06:37:04 PM »

What could cause something like that?

I'm going to turn the modem back on when I get home so hopefully the problem will have disappeared.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 06:48:54 PM »

Just don't know yet there are short times when no CRC's are being generated and had a look again on a 4 hour period and see regular square wave times of high CRC's

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 07:05:39 PM »

Set the HG612 off again and the crcs are even worse  :'(

Well BT are coming at 8am-1pm tomorrow so hopefully it'll be an easy fix.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:08:12 PM by S.Stephenson »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 07:13:34 PM »

This is just my musing . . . and it is really just directed towards Special Operative N*Star.

I am wondering if an all night power down, along with the disconnection of the modem - filter link cable, would be beneficial?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 07:25:24 PM »

Just some additional information about the circumstances of the events leading up to the 0db snr.

Power cut was initiated by a lightning strike that was quite close, none of my modems went down or were damaged as they are under the protection of a UPS, I manually initiated the re-syncs while there was no power.

Also the resync today at 13:33 was caused by a massive crc burst I wasn't even using the Internet at the time either as I wasn't home.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:35:41 PM by S.Stephenson »
Pages: [1] 2 3