Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lost G.INP, interleave started, sync speed lost - can't contact modem over http  (Read 7003 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

@blue166.

I'm in the same boat as you.  Have stable line and not normally interleaved.

Normally sync at 80Mbps with plenty to spare.   Now down to 75592.  Pings now 20ms.
Im sitting and waiting for DLM to hopefully remove it within the next few days.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

PhilipD

• Reg Member

Hi

I have never been interleaved until now. Ping gone from 8ms to 16ms. Speed from 75 down to 69. Upload seems normal.

Can't say I am happy about this as my connection has been fast path for 2 and a half years. Am I going to have to complain to BT or wait? Or try switching ECI modems off.

I am on an ECI cab.

Exactly the same here, line switched to G-INP on ECI cabinet some weeks ago and all was good.  Never been interleaved before, no change in obtainable speed or sync speed, no problems with re-syncs or errors but still a few days ago the line dropped, resync'd and now on interleave, pings are up to > 20 ms, were 12 ms before.

Are they removing G-INP again from ECI cabs, and it's put us on interleaved in place of a DLM reset?

Regards

Phil

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

@Philip - yep :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

blue166

My BT wholesale performance is now saying this after re running the test.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 69.7 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 Mbps-72.19 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 72.19 Mbps

- Now before this was..

Download speedachieved during the test was - 75.43.Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 Mbps-77.43 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbps

I am a little worried now.. :(

PhilipD

• Reg Member

Hi

@Philip - yep :(

I've noticed my SNR is now down to 6.5 from around 9db (still sync'd at 80/20 just), is this normal with interleave because it is using the extra margin to carry error correction?  Just wondering now if it might be cross talk from a new connection knocking the SNR down causing more errors then a switch to interleave.

I don't like ADSL/VDSL technologies.  It was the same on ADSL2+, went for a good few years at one speed, then one day hit by sudden cross talk knocking my speed down, but I was still paying the same price.  So now perhaps starting to see the same thing happen with VDSL as more people join up.

Regards

Phil

blue166

Right,

My line looks to have been returned to fast path profile over night.

Download speed achieved during the test was - 75.25 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 Mbps-77.43 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbps

Why did OpenReach not return profiles to previous when G.INP was turned off though?

Dray

• Kitizen

Maybe they didn't have a record of what lines were set to before G.INP, so they set the lines to a safe value that wouldn't start causing disconnections all over the place and left it to DLM to figure out the best line profile for each line individually.

WWWombat

• Kitizen

I've noticed my SNR is now down to 6.5 from around 9db (still sync'd at 80/20 just), is this normal with interleave because it is using the extra margin to carry error correction?  Just wondering now if it might be cross talk from a new connection knocking the SNR down causing more errors then a switch to interleave.

The error correction will indeed grab some of the capacity of your line - perhaps equivalent to 10% of your sync speed - in your case around 8Mbps.

If your sync speed is below the full package speed, then the use of FEC will be visible as a drop in sync speed.

If your sync speed is at the full package speed, then it will indeed be visible as a reduction in SNRM. I've never really studied the actual amount of impact so it is hard to judge scale ... my best guess would be a reduction of around 2dB.

I don't like ADSL/VDSL technologies.  It was the same on ADSL2+, went for a good few years at one speed, then one day hit by sudden cross talk knocking my speed down, but I was still paying the same price.  So now perhaps starting to see the same thing happen with VDSL as more people join up.
Yup - the vulnerability to crosstalk is a bad side of VDSL2.

PhilipD

• Reg Member

Hi

The error correction will indeed grab some of the capacity of your line - perhaps equivalent to 10% of your sync speed - in your case around 8Mbps.

Yes that looks like what I'm seeing.  On fast path my SNR was around ~9db, so I had full 80/20 sync, on interleave that SNR has dropped to 6.5db, which just about gets me to 80/20 still.  So looks like around a 2-3db loss. Damn annoying if that has only happened because they turned on G.INP, then turned it off again which defaulted to interleave!

Regards

Phil

mlmclaren

• Reg Member

I seriously think a lot of complaints regarding BT's inept management of connections needs to be submitted to industry watchdogs...

It seems pretty clear to me that they don't know WTH they're doing.... I understand G.INP having capability issues with certian combinations of kit and DSLAM's but seriously they don't seem to take enough care when managing lines once changes are made.

They have made such a mess of they're profiling system that even there own Broadband Engineers don't know what to expect when they're working on lines, ISP's are getting stressed with calls from people complaining about speed decreases or ping increases....

If they are going to remove a line from G.INP then it 'needs' to go back to fast path and then it works its way stable 'if required'

Currently it looks like the DLM systems at BT have been disabled across the whole estate of DSLAM's.... people on Huawei DSLAM's still stuck on Interleaving after their G.INP lines where reset by engineers visits fixing faults... its an absolute disgrace.

My line lost its upstream G.INP a couple of weeks ago for no reason and thats left my line worse off, I'm just lucky I got my G.INP back after my engineer reset before BT commited itself to another Spring of G.INP nonesense and p...ing of its customers.

The moral of the story right now is don't get an engineer out, just leave it alone, all an engineer will do is get confused, do a line pair swap and probably leave you worse off.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:21:54 PM by mlmclaren »
Pages: 1 [2]