Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Synaptic Update Folder.  (Read 9373 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Synaptic Update Folder.
« on: March 31, 2008, 09:30:40 PM »

I want to share updates to all my machines and only downloading once.

On a test machine I have re-installed PCLinOs and MiniMe Dual boot.

This time I have only one "swap" and one "home" folder.
I've made an extra partition   "/usr/local" and hope to share that on this computer first ( with the other os) then Via my network to other pclinux computers.
In the new partition I have made a folder "synaptic_updates"  .
So I shall have       "/usr/local/synaptic_updates"  .
Synaptic has its own download folder   /var/cache/apt/archives (this has a folder called "partial" and a file called "lock")

I could do with some advice please on how to go about this, The links etc.
Ps I have 'synaptic' set to save it's files.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:35:39 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Synaptic Update Folder.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 10:43:16 PM »

I've never tried to do that sort of thing, but maybe this helps. It refers to Debian packages of course, but I think the rpm port of Apt works in exactly the same way.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 11:33:42 PM »

I've never tried to do that sort of thing, but maybe this helps. It refers to Debian packages of course, but I think the rpm port of Apt works in exactly the same way.

Thanks for the link but it made me more confused  :'( (It does not take much to do that  ;) )

In simple terms I want to link my new folder (  synaptic_updates  ) to (  archives )
/var/cache/apt/archives    to    /usr/local/synaptic_updates
I have not done links before.
So my first step, I want to join those two folder together, like they are one folder (if that's possible ! ) .

Edit. I can see if I right click in my new folder -->create new-->link to location (url)  or  application   or device  ???
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:45:31 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 07:19:11 AM »

Oh I see, I misunderstood the question. Delete the synaptic_updates folder, then as root type:

ln -s /var/cache/apt/archives /usr/local/synaptic_updates

It was a mistake to try to link a real directory to another one (it can be done but it's more complicated). The ln command simply creates a symbolic link in one directory pointing at another, and the end result is that the archive directory appears to be mirrored in /usr/local/

Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 11:19:50 AM »

Oh I see, I misunderstood the question. Delete the synaptic_updates folder, then as root type:

ln -s /var/cache/apt/archives /usr/local/synaptic_updates

It was a mistake to try to link a real directory to another one (it can be done but it's more complicated). The ln command simply creates a symbolic link in one directory pointing at another, and the end result is that the archive directory appears to be mirrored in /usr/local/

Hello Eric, Thanks, I will try that later tonight.
From my first post...."Synaptic has its own download folder   /var/cache/apt/archives (this has a folder called "partial" and a file called "lock")"
What do I do with the two  important items (in blue) which are need to make synaptic work.?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 11:40:26 AM »

I don't think the lock file is a problem. It exists to ensure that only one package manager can have access to the directory at any one time.

I don't really know what the 'partial' directory is for, but I imagine that it's something to do with package installations which haven't completed for some reason. I guess you'll have to watch out for such occurrences and clear them on the PC concerned before using the package manager on any other PC.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »

I don't think the lock file is a problem. It exists to ensure that only one package manager can have access to the directory at any one time.

I don't really know what the 'partial' directory is for, but I imagine that it's something to do with package installations which haven't completed for some reason. I guess you'll have to watch out for such occurrences and clear them on the PC concerned before using the package manager on any other PC.

I know the other week when I moved some old files out to trash, I moved the two items out by mistake and synaptic would not work.
Could I just try moving the two items into the new folder or would I have to set some other symlinks up ?.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 12:39:26 PM »

If you're creating a symlink as I suggested then there isn't a new folder to move them into. The symlink will include everything in the original, including those items.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 02:26:49 PM »

I finally got back to this last night,  ;D
What I want is a way to keep my remote computers around my network, synaptic updates in sync. with the main computer where I have downloaded the updates.
eg.   /var/cache/apt/archives

I have tried
"Unison"  could not get it to work.
"Komparator"   sort of worked, but not what I wanted.
"grsync"  no good for a network.

Do you know of any file synchronisation tools that will work over a network.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 09:20:44 PM »

grsync will do the job. It works fine over a local network, but not over the internet.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 12:44:53 AM »

grsync will do the job. It works fine over a local network, but not over the internet.

This is one I was trying last night, I get this error when I try to access over the network..

ssh: smb: Name or service not known

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(600) [sender=3.0.0]

Does not understand the smb: (samba) connection to the remote computer.

Local = /var/cache/apt/archives/
Remote = smb://office/archives/

ssh:  (first line of error)  ?    do I need to install something ?.

Edit.....
It works well on two test folders on the local machine.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 01:17:11 AM by tickmike »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 07:23:51 AM »

I've never used rsync myself, so I don't understand the syntax, but I get the impression that you need to share the directory on the Windows machine which is being synced with and then address it as hostname:sharename. But I'm very likely completely wrong.

ssh is Secure Shell, a secure data transport system. Maybe you need to install that on both machines.
  Eric