Computer Software > Linux

Synaptic Update Folder.

(1/3) > >>

tickmike:
 I want to share updates to all my machines and only downloading once.

On a test machine I have re-installed PCLinOs and MiniMe Dual boot.

This time I have only one "swap" and one "home" folder.
I've made an extra partition   "/usr/local" and hope to share that on this computer first ( with the other os) then Via my network to other pclinux computers.
In the new partition I have made a folder "synaptic_updates"  .
So I shall have       "/usr/local/synaptic_updates"  .
Synaptic has its own download folder   /var/cache/apt/archives (this has a folder called "partial" and a file called "lock")

I could do with some advice please on how to go about this, The links etc.
Ps I have 'synaptic' set to save it's files.

roseway:
I've never tried to do that sort of thing, but maybe this helps. It refers to Debian packages of course, but I think the rpm port of Apt works in exactly the same way.

tickmike:

--- Quote from: roseway on March 31, 2008, 10:43:16 PM ---I've never tried to do that sort of thing, but maybe this helps. It refers to Debian packages of course, but I think the rpm port of Apt works in exactly the same way.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the link but it made me more confused  :'( (It does not take much to do that  ;) )

In simple terms I want to link my new folder (  synaptic_updates  ) to (  archives )
/var/cache/apt/archives    to    /usr/local/synaptic_updates
I have not done links before.
So my first step, I want to join those two folder together, like they are one folder (if that's possible ! ) .

Edit. I can see if I right click in my new folder -->create new-->link to location (url)  or  application   or device  ???

roseway:
Oh I see, I misunderstood the question. Delete the synaptic_updates folder, then as root type:

ln -s /var/cache/apt/archives /usr/local/synaptic_updates

It was a mistake to try to link a real directory to another one (it can be done but it's more complicated). The ln command simply creates a symbolic link in one directory pointing at another, and the end result is that the archive directory appears to be mirrored in /usr/local/

tickmike:

--- Quote from: roseway on April 01, 2008, 07:19:11 AM ---Oh I see, I misunderstood the question. Delete the synaptic_updates folder, then as root type:

ln -s /var/cache/apt/archives /usr/local/synaptic_updates

It was a mistake to try to link a real directory to another one (it can be done but it's more complicated). The ln command simply creates a symbolic link in one directory pointing at another, and the end result is that the archive directory appears to be mirrored in /usr/local/

--- End quote ---

Hello Eric, Thanks, I will try that later tonight.
From my first post...."Synaptic has its own download folder   /var/cache/apt/archives (this has a folder called "partial" and a file called "lock")"
What do I do with the two  important items (in blue) which are need to make synaptic work.?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version