Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: HG612 - Access GUI Over WAN  (Read 21897 times)

SignedAdam

Re: HG612 - Access GUI Over WAN
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2016, 11:51:20 PM »

@kitzuser87430 - Please could you be more clear on the steps you taken,

1) Untick bindings. (Where, What Tab, Basic - WAN - port 1 and 2) ??

2) Set 2nd LAN subnet on router (along with required firewall rules) (Again, where and what do we imput in to 2ed lan subnet, what firewall settings do we enter, do we enter them over telnet)

I would like a full brake down on what to do, just listing little bits of info is not going to help n00bs or people just getting in to networking like me,

thanks
I'm a geek on his own

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2016, 07:18:56 AM »

We're getting there slowly - it's not like anyone knows exactly what to do, so it's one step at a time.

Your questions:

1) Yes
2) I thought you already had the firewall rules

As far as I can see there's no reason to have a 2nd subnet, the modem just has to be in a different subnet to your local LAN otherwise the router won't look in the WAN, it will only look in your LAN.

Interestingly the pfsense documentation says here https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Accessing_modem_from_inside_firewall
Now NAT needs to be configured to translate traffic destined to the modem to the new interface. This is necessary so the modem sees the traffic sourced from an IP on its local subnet. Without this NAT, it would be necessary to configure a route on the modem so it knows how to reach the internal subnet. With some modems this isn't possible, and in most cases it's easier to NAT the traffic so routing isn't a concern.
So it looks like that static route that hhkb mentioned could be a requirement after all.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2016, 07:26:14 AM »

Dray selective quoting never helps.

I checked the page and there is this snippet you left out.

Note: The modem's management IP must be on a different IP subnet than the internal network.

no static route is needed because the modem already knows how to route the packets via the subnet mask.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2016, 07:28:44 AM »

So the modem only needs 1 IP address ?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2016, 07:33:02 AM »

So basically the modem has a lan ip on the lan interface.  All traffic over that subnet will go over that port, but we dont want to use that port because it requires an extra cable.

To solve the problem we use a second subnet and bind it to the other interface, the modem will route all packets to that subnet over that interface because we assigned a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.  Static routes are used to route packets outside of the subnet.

On the router it can access the modem without any routing because it has a ip assigned to  the right port also with a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask, however we need to route packets that come from the normal lan subnet e.g. from a pc.

Thats what the iptables command is for, it diverts packets from the normal lan subnet to the correct interface.  This only needs to be done on the router, not the modem.  Because the modem see's the source ip as the new subnet already.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2016, 07:39:40 AM »

If we untick the WAN binding for LAN1 then we don't have to use LAN2 at all, also if the modem is configured as solely being in a separate subnet, then we don't have to assign 2 subnets to it, so the settings should survive a reboot of the modem?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2016, 09:52:58 AM »

try it and see if you think its that simple dray.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2016, 10:12:28 AM »

Unfortunately I have another router in the way so it goes modem-->HH5-->pfSense-->LAN

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2016, 10:18:24 AM »

my assumption is if you unbind the wan, then surely it will stop functioning as a modem?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2016, 10:21:24 AM »

I tried that and it continues to work as a modem and stats are available on LAN2. If I connect LAN1 to my LAN instead then stats are available on LAN1.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2016, 12:02:26 PM »

so you tried it now? you said you couldnt try it.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2016, 12:15:32 PM »

I tried the modem out with the unticking of the WAN LAN ports binding, but I haven't tried the crazy routing to get the stats over LAN1  :comp:

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2016, 12:17:33 PM »

ok thanks, maybe Adam can try what you saying.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2016, 12:31:03 PM »

Unfortunately I have another router in the way so it goes modem-->HH5-->pfSense-->LAN

Why have you got the HH5 before your firewall ?.

My set up HG612 Modem in Bridge Wan not bound to either LAN1 or LAN2 > 'Smootwall' hardware firewall >LAN .
LAN2 on HG612  is connected to my LAN via a link cable.
No problem in getting stats. :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2016, 12:35:24 PM »

Why have you got the HH5 before your firewall ?.
So I can get BT Wifi
My set up HG612 Modem in Bridge Wan not bound to either LAN1 or LAN2 > 'Smootwall' hardware firewall >LAN .
LAN2 on HG612  is connected to my LAN via a link cable.
No problem in getting stats. :)
This thread is about getting stats through LAN1  ???
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

anything