Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Re-wiring an extension (for broadband)  (Read 5085 times)

hercules

Re-wiring an extension (for broadband)
« on: April 26, 2016, 12:58:52 PM »

Hi,

I'm going to have a go at re-wiring my Dad's extension, and not being an expert on telephone matters, would welcome comments on my proposed wiring plan.

The simplifed background is as follows:
- My Dad runs a broadband connection, phone, and external bell from an extension in an upstairs office
- A switch allows the extension phone and external bell to be turned off (but also disconnects the Home Hub)
- There used to be a separate second phone line off the extension point but that has been unused for years
- The distance from the master socket to the extension socket is quite long (probably 40m to 50m)
- The cables are old (nearly 40 years), run mostly outside, and over the years had joins added along them

I am intending to do the following:
- Replace the extension cable (while removing the various joins) between the master socket and extension socket
- Use Cat5e cable for the extension cable (instead of BT CW1308) so the line can in future be used for data only
- Use the two phone sockets in a way that I can turn off one (for the phone/bell) but leave the other on (broadband)

As a result of doing the above I expect the broadband performance to improve (from better/cleaner wiring), while also allowing a way to separate out (and therefore turn on/off) the phone and bell combination from the Home Hub.

I have attached a picture of my proposed wiring plan. I would welcome any comments. In particular I do not know whether I can simply joins the pins between the two sockets on the extension faceplate. It makes logical sense to me but I realise it might not be sensible, safe, etc. Any other comments would also be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Hercules

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Re-wiring an extension (for broadband)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 02:20:26 PM »

Personally, I would replace the master socket with a filtered faceplate, run the the phone wiring pretty much as it is but convert socket 2 to an RJ11 socket wired back to the data extension terminals in the master purely for the hub to connect to. Connect the bell and extension phone to socket 1 and move the switch to in between the master and socket1 if that all makes sense.

hercules

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 02:52:41 PM »

Thanks for the comments licquorice. As I don't know much about phone wiring can I ask why you suggest that?

Also, are you saying that I would need to run two separate cables between the master and slave, i.e. one for the phone signal, and another for data? If so, my initial response would be that for various practical reasons it would be preferable to have just a single cable joining the master and slave, although I will think about that some more.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 02:58:52 PM »

Your proposed diagram would mean that you would be ' star wired' which would be a possible major source of interference and speed drop for your broadband signal. As you only need 3 wires for the phone and 2 for the broadband, you could utilise one cable. One pair for the data, and 2 for the phone.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 03:12:28 PM »

Terrible drawing but you should be able to get the gist of it.

npr

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 03:46:49 PM »

I would put a inline adsl filter (or two for extra filtering) on the bell. Then you don't need wire No3 and you can use the double pole switch on wires 2 & 5  this will keep things in balance.

I'm assuming the phone doesn't need the bell wire, most modern ones don't.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 03:59:15 PM »

Does the bell use a separate power supply or is it totally driven by the signal from BT?

I'm assuming the phone doesn't need the bell wire, most modern ones don't.
If it does you just stick an ADSL filter in locally on the end of that phones lead.  ;)

PS I'd probably do it as described by licquorice. But using local adsl filters to recreate the bell signal, so only 2 pairs.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 04:03:42 PM by HPsauce »

hercules

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 04:17:52 PM »

Thank you for the further answers. And thanks licquorice for the diagram - it makes sense.

I'm guessing from afar that the bell has its own power. It's pretty big (designed to be heard at the end of the garden). Also, it's probably from the late 1970s (so might therefore need pin 3?)

So, to recap, if a buy a filtered faceplate for the master socket, I would connect one pair of wires in the extension cable to the IDC connectors on pins 2 and 5 (and additionally another wire to the IDC connector on pin 3 if needed).

I'm less clear about connecting the data line. And am I right in understanding that there would also be a separate set of IDC connectors behind the faceplate for the RJ11 data line, and I would connect another pair of wires to those IDC connectors?

Then I can fit another filtered faceplate at the extension socket (or use plug-in dangly filters etc.) and wire up as appropraite.

Apologies if these questions are a bit too obvious but your help is much appreciated  :)

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 04:23:28 PM »

I very much doubt the bell will be powered, it will just operate to the BT ringing current.

Yes there are 2 unfiltered IDC connections for a data extension to a remote router.

You don't need a filtered faceplate at the extensions, just an ordinary faceplate. Normally you wouldn't need any filters anywhere, but as others have posted, you can use a filter to generate the ring wire removing the need for the 3rd wire in the telephony portion of the cable.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 04:28:41 PM by licquorice »

hercules

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 04:29:50 PM »

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 04:34:25 PM »

hercules

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 05:14:42 PM »

That one looks good. I see that it has IDC connections for the modem pair of the extension cable so I can wire those directly into the socket. But it doesn't look like it has any IDC connections for the phone line, so would that mean I would in effect need to split off a pair of wires from the extension cable into a BT431A plug that I would connect into the front of the faceplate?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 05:26:59 PM »

It should have the connections as in the picture in reply #8 for the extension. There should be 3 sets of connections. A & B for the incoming BT line, data extension IDC connectors on the backplate and phone extension IDC connectors on the removable faceplate.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 05:35:09 PM »

Actually, looking at it again, it is just the middle portion rather than the whole socket. If your current master is an NTE5, you can just plug the existing faceplate with the extension wiring into it. Otherwise the 6way device might be better.

hercules

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 07:02:59 PM »

Ah, ok. I didn't notice the picture of the faceplate in your post 8. That looks good.

Thanks again. :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:28:16 PM by hercules »
Pages: [1] 2