Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: VDSL2 speed and distance to cabinet  (Read 13011 times)

N0STIE

• Reg Member
VDSL2 speed and distance to cabinet
« on: April 25, 2016, 10:37:24 PM »

Hi,

I was recently wondering why I can only get 45mbps while my line works at its full potential after DLM reset even tho the cabinet which I am connected to is 2 roads away (not too sure it is my cabinet but I noticed PCP box with number 14 painted on it just 15 metres away from the FTTC cabinet. As far as I know the PCP box can't be farer than 50 metres away from FTTC one. Note that the BT checker says I am connected to cabinet 14 on Stanley exchange so knowing that PCP can't be farer than 50m from FTTC cab, this is most likely the cabinet I am connected to.

Then checked the distance between my house and the FTTC cabinet using google maps (I know bad method :D) and it gives me distance around 400-450 metres, and according to VDSL2 (FTTC) Speed vs. Distance graph, I should be getting attainable of approx 70mbps.

There is also an other local FTTC cabinet and PCP next to it few roads away, which according to google maps is about 650-700m away from my house so thereotically should be getting ~45mbps just about what I am getting right now. But still the PCP box with number 14 is too far away from the other cabinet ~approx 500m straight line.

I am attaching some screens that may help getting the right distance if I am wrong. Sadly never asked an engineer what my loop line length is. My attenuation is 22.8 dB (used to be 22.0 dB last year). I am really confused to which cabinet I am connected.

I hope it is understable what I wrote, not a mess or nonsense ??? Thanks guys!

Red cross is my house and 6 Clanfield Road is where the FTTC cabinet is, just in front of the house. The PCP is maximum 10-15 metres away from FTTC cabinet.

Here is the distance from my house to the other FTTC cabinet (650-700m) according to google maps. PCP is just next to it (don't know number painted on it, need to check, but definitely it is not 14).

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:49:11 PM by N0STIE »

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
Re: VDSL2 speed and distance to cabinet
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 10:55:22 PM »

My line is 330 metres.... it's now only capale of 65mb...

My line estimates are

Unfortunatly a combination of crosstalk, aluminium section of cable and 'supected' REIN reduced speeds from more than 80000kbps...

Do you have any DSL stats fo your line??

Downstream attenuation would be the figure I'm looking for!

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 10:59:52 PM »

Sadly, it is only what I got as I changed routers recently. I remember my maximum FTTC Range A (Clean) was between 44mbps and 32mbps with attenuation of 22 dB, then it raised to 51 and 38. Upload has also raised.

I am not worried, just a bit wondering, but at the other hand it would be nice to have at least 60/9.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 11:02:26 PM by N0STIE »

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 11:02:20 PM »

It is the cabinet that is closest to you, look up cabinet 14 on codelookup and it shows you the postcodes it serves.

It is most likely a case of the line being indirect.

Looking at it my best estimation would be that your line goes down Hasfield road and then all the way round mentmore crescent.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 11:09:03 PM by S.Stephenson »

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 11:16:57 PM »

It is most likely a case of the line being indirect.

My previous address was like that, the direct length was -200m but due to it going the opposit way it became around 370m

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 11:17:23 PM »

There is quiet few Clanfield Roads (where the closest FTTC and PCP are), no mention of the other further away cabinet. Does P14 refers to a number of cabinet?

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 11:21:53 PM »

Yes if you click that it should spit out a post code.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 11:32:49 PM »

It doesn't actually, no matter what I click on, P14 or the road, there are still plenty of them.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 11:37:41 PM »

You are definitely the connected to Cabinet 14, your line length will most likely be due to a an indirect route.

To get a rough estimate of line length you can get a GEA service test done, my ISO Plusnet sorted it via live chat easily.

GEA test gave me an estimate of 380m which is probably within the margin of error, as a engineer told me routing shows that my line length to the pole outside the house is 298m, so 350m at a push.

The reason there are multiple listings for a street is because the street has more that one postcode.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 11:43:33 PM »

I'll speak to BT live chat tomorrow, will see what they can do.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 11:47:33 PM »

FYI I gave up trying to get one from BT via live chat as they were useless.

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 11:58:38 PM »

Use this link... https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact/c/4665

It's the one that BT Care Twitter gave me and seems to get me through to someone Uk or Ireland based, and not someone with a ridiculous name.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 08:15:53 AM »

This is a better link to contact from a forum https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4950

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 12:46:28 PM »

I was recently wondering why I can only get 45mbps while my line works at its full potential after DLM reset even tho the cabinet which I am connected to is 2 roads away (not too sure it is my cabinet but I noticed PCP box with number 14 painted on it just 15 metres away from the FTTC cabinet. As far as I know the PCP box can't be farer than 50 metres away from FTTC one. Note that the BT checker says I am connected to cabinet 14 on Stanley exchange so knowing that PCP can't be farer than 50m from FTTC cab, this is most likely the cabinet I am connected to.

Using your images, I agree that you appear to be connected to PCP 14, and this appears to be sited on Stalisfield Avenue, here: https://goo.gl/maps/9JTwjb4LgAz
It certainly *says* it is cab 14.

The FTTC cabinet itself appears to be on the junction of Elkstone and Clanfield, here: https://goo.gl/maps/fFbWaRWowWG2

Using Google's own distance measuring tool, the FTTC cabinet appears to be 58m away from the PCP (BT allows up to 100m, but prefers less than 50m); this distance will need to be included in the length of your line, as the VDSL2 signal will be attenuating across all that distance to PCP 14, and then back again. And that distance on the tie-pairs will allow for some impact from crosstalk too.

Then checked the distance between my house and the FTTC cabinet using google maps (I know bad method :D) and it gives me distance around 400-450 metres, and according to VDSL2 (FTTC) Speed vs. Distance graph, I should be getting attainable of approx 70mbps.

The distance measuring tool estimates a total of 570m, if you start from the FTTC cabinet and run to the PCP, with the copper then returning from the PCP via Clanfield back to you, or 590m if it runs via Swallowhurst. The minimum appears to be just over 500m if it runs via Marshfield and the footpath - if BT routed that way.

TBB's own speed-vs-distance estimations (admittedly pessimistic) would have you down for 35-38Mbps at those distances.

Distance, of course, isn't everything. Thinner copper can result in the performance of a longer, standard gauge, line. As would aluminium in place of copper. But it is much harder to judge whether those apply.

My attenuation is 22.8 dB (used to be 22.0 dB last year).

This is a much better measure to use to figure out performance than raw distance. However, I don't think we've managed to put together a decent "attenuation vs distance" or even "attenuation vs speed" table.

When you look at other lines on MDWS with a similar attenuation, there seem to be a lot of lines with speeds in the 40's. A couple in the 60's admittedly, but most are in the 40's.

There is quiet few Clanfield Roads (where the closest FTTC and PCP are), no mention of the other further away cabinet.

Unfortunately, Codelook make a guess about the road name in those tables. It uses a part of the postcode - the centroid, the geographic centre of the postcode - and works out which road is closest. It will be right in some cases, and wrong in others.

Once you have clicked on the cabinet link (eg P14), then the map shows you all the postcodes served by that cab. For P14, it certainly looks like your street is well and truly part of P14. The other cab you considered looks to be P20; the map of all its postcodes seems to include areas north of your street.

N0STIE

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 09:40:42 PM »

I have checked the other cabinet's number, it is indeed 20.

By the way great summary WWW! I now understand why I am getting such speed being close to cabinet!
Pages: [1] 2