Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Comparing stats on mydslwebstats.co.uk  (Read 4589 times)

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
Comparing stats on mydslwebstats.co.uk
« on: April 25, 2016, 12:52:06 PM »

I've been comparing stats on mydslwebstats.co.uk for lines with similar attenuation.

For example:
daveesh1

dwilson75

Why does daveesh1's line start to slope down more sharply to tone 200? What could be causing dwilson75's to have missing tones at the high frequencies?

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Comparing stats on mydslwebstats.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 01:17:00 PM »

The difference in the slope at the start is because daveesh1 must be on a cabinet that's a long way from the exchange, whereas dwilson75's cabinet must be closer to their exchange. The strength of the VDSL2 signals is deliberately restricted so that they don't interfere with ADSL signals from the exchange. Nearer the exchange, the ADSL2+ signals will be stronger and using more frequencies towards the higher end of the ADSL2+ spectrum, so the VDSL2 signals need to be restricted over a wider range of frequencies, perhaps up to the top end of ADSL2+ at 2.2 MHz. Further away from the exchange, the ADSL signals from the exchange will be weaker, but they won't be using the higher ADSL2+ frequencies. So the VDSL2 signals only need to be restricted over a narrower range of frequencies, but because the ADSL signals are weaker, the VDSL2 signals need to be reduced more sharply.

The gap in the bitloading in the middle of the third downstream band could be almost anything, but I'm not signed up for MDWS so I won't be scrutinising the rest of their graphs to guess what it might be.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 01:57:56 PM »

yes is different power masks's for different cabinets.

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 01:59:42 PM »

The difference in the slope at the start is because daveesh1 must be on a cabinet that's a long way from the exchange, whereas dwilson75's cabinet must be closer to their exchange. The strength of the VDSL2 signals is deliberately restricted so that they don't interfere with ADSL signals from the exchange. Nearer the exchange, the ADSL2+ signals will be stronger and using more frequencies towards the higher end of the ADSL2+ spectrum, so the VDSL2 signals need to be restricted over a wider range of frequencies, perhaps up to the top end of ADSL2+ at 2.2 MHz. Further away from the exchange, the ADSL signals from the exchange will be weaker, but they won't be using the higher ADSL2+ frequencies. So the VDSL2 signals only need to be restricted over a narrower range of frequencies, but because the ADSL signals are weaker, the VDSL2 signals need to be reduced more sharply.

The gap in the bitloading in the middle of the third downstream band could be almost anything, but I'm not signed up for MDWS so I won't be scrutinising the rest of their graphs to guess what it might be.

If that was the case then daveesh's line wouldn't have high bitloading around tone 300 to 500? ADSL2+ goes up to around tone 500. Perhaps it's dynamic based on cabinet noise levels?

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 02:01:14 PM »

yes is different power masks's for different cabinets.

How are power masks determined per cabinet?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 02:52:13 PM »

NICC maintain a Access Network Frequency Plan (ANFP) which all operators have to follow.

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 02:56:28 PM »

NICC maintain a Access Network Frequency Plan (ANFP) which all operators have to follow.

Why  does it differ per cabinet?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 03:11:38 PM »

I guess I didn't explain it very well the first time then.  :(

The power mask applied is determined by the distance between the cabinet and the exchange. This is needed because the ADSL signals from the exchange will differ depending on the distance from the exchange to the cabinet.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 05:48:12 PM »

My gradual dip in the D1 band looks closer to what dwilson75 has on the D1 band and my exchange is about 4.4km from the cabinet.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 06:38:58 PM by NewtronStar »

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 06:03:41 PM »

I still can't quite understand why daveesh's tone graph drops sooner at around tone 300? :lol:

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 06:31:42 PM »

Perhaps have a look at Figure B.1 on page 35 of ND1602-2016-03_v6.1.1.pdf

If that was the case then daveesh's line wouldn't have high bitloading around tone 300 to 500?

daveesh1's line has high bitloading starting a little before tone 300 because none of the signals from the exchange on the higher ADSL2+ frequencies can reach a cabinet far from the exchange. So there's no need to reduce the power of the VDSL2 signals on those frequencies, because there are no ADSL2+ signals on those frequencies.

Well, that's the theory anyway. Regarding NewtronStar's line, I don't know why it looks like the mask for CAL=20 or CAL=30.

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 07:11:24 PM »

Have you a copy of ND1602-2016-03_v6.1.1.pdf?

Cheers

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 07:12:37 PM »

There is a link to it in reply #5

Dray

• Kitizen

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 07:15:37 PM »

There is a link to it in reply #5

Great thanks, very interesting site. Love to read these sort of papers.
Pages: [1] 2

anything