Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: How to utilise 2 vdsl lines?  (Read 14852 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: How to utilise 2 vdsl lines?
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2016, 04:11:00 PM »

That's the guy I watched yesterday.

I don't understand how load balancing is able to show up on the speed test as doubled download and upload speeds, unless its combining both lines for the test only.

In the motorway example more cars can go down the motorway but surely they are only allowed to go a maximum of 70mph? It would just mean when the speedtest car came along it wouldnt be interrupted by any other cars.. and would in theory travel at the full 70mph?

I guess there is one way to find out about this. Anyone who now load balances, as your actual download/upload speeds increased when your downloading a file?

I'd recommend load balancing if you are having bandwidth issues i.e. a lot of devices want to use the Internet at the same time, you'd have more available bandwidth. I'm going to be recommending this solution to a friend soon as her and her family, including gamers and parents who are avid watchers of netflix and other streaming services all struggle for bandwidth, especially at evening times. Load balancing is a perfect solution for big familes lots of devices.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2016, 04:23:53 PM »

Is it not just utilising all the available bandwidth.
No doubt I may find out as looking to order my 2nd line and load balancer shortly hopefully
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:19:29 PM by skyeci »

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2016, 10:03:17 PM »

Yes, you'll have more bandwidth available.. so more devices will be able to access the internet with good speeds concurrently.

So if someone is playing games and someone else is downloading a file, before you might have a slow down or buffering if you're trying to watch a streamed movie. But with load balancing it will double the available bandwidth, so your streamed movie would use the extra bandwidth and no slow downs or buffering, hopefully :)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2016, 10:28:03 PM »

Hi

I'm sorry, I am not sure of your current connected speed, but from what I can gather, it's circa 60mbps, so I find it hard to believe with game machines and video streaming, even if you had IP phones, you have exhausted your bandwidth, unless your family is exceptionally large (ie excess of 10 users or or 10 computers/game consoles), given that most work on 2mb each, but let's say it's 4mb, x 10 would give you 40mbps, with leeway spate of 20mb...

I could be wrong though as a lot of information is not given and you maybe on less bandwidth

However, if your doing this primary for games console, to improve gamers experience, then the latency is adapted at the games server, to try to equalise the connected users latency, and it's normal for anything with latency of less then 50ms, to give excellent user experience (I know, I have been an avid gamer for years, playing against a lot of friends from all over the world), some with latency in excess of 350ms, but no real ghosting or sudden loss/seen of user. However, there are a few tricks used by cheaters, to give them an advantage in play, but if caught using these, a full ban on the game follows - light switch is one cheat

Many thanks

Johb

iMx

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2016, 08:28:14 AM »

Doesn't bandwidth/speed usually come down to 'want' rather than 'need'?  Mine certainly does :p

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2016, 09:47:34 AM »

Hi

I'm sorry I don't normally reply to these type of comments, but I suppose it depends upon what the reasons are for wanting more bandwidth or speed, and as you state, is a personal choice.

However, if it's connected to games consoles or gamer experience, then I hope the expectation is not that it would improve this experience, as it seldom does, unless it was poor on the connection in the first place

I could be wrong so I apologise in advance as I do not know the specific reasons.

Many thanks

John

shadow4dog

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2016, 01:47:13 PM »

I love my load balanced setup and it has proved it's worth when one of my ISPs lost routing and I didn't notice.

I started out with a TP-Links and later a Netgear SRX5308... but am now using FreeBSD. It'd be interesting to explore bonding... but I don't have a pc in a data center with a 130Mb unlimited connection to the internet! :-)

Tim

Panda666uk

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2016, 11:11:52 AM »

Morning, what would be best to do on a budget ! TL-ER5120 with just the ISP's modem/router plugged into it ?! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2016, 11:44:07 AM »

My TL-ER5120 works perfectly fine for my 2 ~60mbps lines.

Panda666uk

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2016, 12:04:25 PM »

My TL-ER5120 works perfectly fine for my 2 ~60mbps lines.
Thanks, are you just using the ISP's modem/router ?.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2016, 12:15:27 PM »

s.step said higher up the thread when  I asked

In my case

Plusnet line goes directly from modem to balancer with ppoe

BT line goes from modem to HH5 to balancer using Dynamic IP

Panda666uk

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2016, 01:02:36 PM »

Thank you, I've got a second business FTTC line going in soon thought I might as well look at load balancing saying bonded is way to much money !.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2016, 02:03:45 PM »

nice, who are your providers.

1 of mine is sky (as already in ) and the other will be BT I suspect.

Panda666uk

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2016, 02:07:38 PM »

nice, who are your providers.

1 of mine is sky (as already in ) and the other will be BT I suspect.

On Talk Talk Business LLU and second will be Plusnet Business got it for £35 plus vat and £110 quidco cashbank. Can you set WAN static ip's on the t link box ?.

Thanks

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2016, 02:10:44 PM »

These are the available options Static IP is one of them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5