Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: stuck on 512k suddenly  (Read 14840 times)

shiplu

Re: stuck on 512k suddenly
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 10:55:43 AM »

I have been turning my router on and off several times almost every day before i started this thread.
so I can get a new ip address. is there another way to renew ip address without turning on / off?

what about USB modems, so that mean the more you turn your computer on/off, your likley to get slow speeds?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 10:57:21 AM by shiplu »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 11:03:48 AM »

This is probably why you've got stuck on 512k. In your router there should be a way to disconnect and reconnect the PPP session (your virtual connection to the ISP), without rebooting, which cuts off your connection to the exchange, which is what causes these sorts of problems.

As for USB modems, I think when you shut your PC down properly, they will disconnect "properly" from the telephone exchange before shutting down, which doesn't make it look like there's a line fault.
Chris

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 11:51:46 AM »

Sorry if I've missed it in the thread, but why are you trying so hard to get a new IP address? Many (most?) ISPs only offer a fixed address anyway, and it's difficult to think of any significant disadvantage if you're using a NAT router.

Eric
  Eric

shiplu

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 12:43:12 PM »

Sorry if I've missed it in the thread, but why are you trying so hard to get a new IP address? Many (most?) ISPs only offer a fixed address anyway, and it's difficult to think of any significant disadvantage if you're using a NAT router.

Eric

to cheat rapidshare downloads.

shiplu

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 07:20:37 PM »

the router has been on for: 2 days 1 hours 8 minutes 9 seconds
and the download speed changed to: approx 2 mbps

is this normal, its not even full 3 days. could the speed go higher after 3 full days?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 07:22:33 PM by shiplu »

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 07:42:08 PM »

the router has been on for: 2 days 1 hours 8 minutes 9 seconds
and the download speed changed to: approx 2 mbps

is this normal, its not even full 3 days. could the speed go higher after 3 full days?

Without my magic ball I would say it is possible it might go higher, just in the same way your line has seen a speed improvement in less that the three day time period.

At the end of the day most of it is down to line conditions. No doubt the profiling occurs at certain intervals as I cant believe the equipment at the exchange is going to constantly monitor your DSL's performance.

If the stats remain good and the connection stable then hopefully you might go faster again. Of course, kitz will know more and be able to give you a proper answer!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 11:39:09 PM »

The DLM in some respects is a bit of a mystery and BT havent really disclosed too much info about it.

I do know that the equipment monitors and records each sync speed...  and theres also a heart beat pulse once a night, when it checks "all ok?"
It is "supposed to be" three full days..  so Im not sure whats happening.. 
but then again if the DLM has been tricked into thinking that each disconnect is due to an unstable line, we dont really know at which point in time its decided on "2Mb".  It does seem to be creeping back up, so maybe because of the way the speed went right down, its gradually increasing???

Hopefully after 3 full days of the even higher speeds.. then it may go all the way back up to 3Mb?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

shiplu

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 06:21:22 PM »

I cant believe my eyes :D,
after exactly 3 days, the speed has gone up.

Your current bandwidth reading is:
4.33 Mbps
which means you can download at 553.81 KB/sec. from our servers.

one of the highest speeds I ever got.

this is what I changed to get this speed:

I repositioned the extension cable the other way and away from TV and electricals.
I used my old router which hasn't got wireless.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 06:44:25 PM »

That's great! I suspect it was the wiring rearrangement which did it for you, but the router may have been a factor as well.

Eric
  Eric

shiplu

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006, 07:41:38 PM »

I was using my old router during this time, my old router is a SparkCom 4 Port Router

The SparkCom was Displaying connect speed of 5.5mb

now I connected back my usual router, SafeCom SWAMRU-54108 4 port with wireless
that still displays its usual connect speed of 3.7mb (3712 Kbps)

does this means I can get faster downloads speeds on my old router which is out of date and low spec.
and slighly slower speeds on my current router Safecom which has a higher spec.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2006, 07:29:43 AM »

It certainly looks that way, although I'm surprised to see such a big difference between the two routers. Perhaps there's a compatibility issue with the particular exchange equipment which happens to favour the SparkCom. Unfortunately, by syncing at that lower speed, your bRAS profile will have gone down again, so even if you put the SparkCom back you'll have to wait another three days for it to come back up. :(

Eric
  Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2006, 12:34:49 PM »

There may be hope - if you have only synced once at the slower speed, "blip logic" will not reset your BRAS profile speed down until you sync again at the lower speed.

Then it will take 3 days to go back up again.
Chris
Pages: 1 [2]

anything