Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: stuck on 512k suddenly  (Read 14837 times)

shiplu

stuck on 512k suddenly
« on: October 15, 2006, 04:18:28 PM »

I was previously with bulldog 2mb and speed was good very stable.
then I joined tiscali, for a few months the speed was ok,
exactlty after the tiscali line rental was activated my speed / ip profile became 500k.
all online broadband checkers say also that i can only recieve 500k.

it remained at 500k for about 4 or 5 days. then the speed went up to normal speed again at 3MB.
12 or 13 days later the speed went down to 500k again.

I contacted tiscali and I mentioned that the problem came after tiscali line rental was activated and they submitted fualt to BT.

Any expert know what happened and can it be fixed?

shiplu

Re: stuck on 512k suddenly
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 05:17:05 PM »

sorry, i just notice i posted in the wrong section

shiplu

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 09:58:13 PM »

Test from http://test.speedtester.bt.com:50301/

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 3680 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 259 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 11:50:22 PM »

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

With MAxdsl the speed you get depends on what rate your router syncs to the exchange at.
The Bummer is that you have to have higher stable sync speeds for a full 3 days before your actual profile will be increased.
(What ssems to have happened in the past (500 > 3Mb).
Then it only takes one poor sync speed and within about 75 mins your stuck back down to the lower speeds.
(How dslMAX works)

So whats possibly occuring is that something is causing you to have a poor sync speed.
The trick to getting higher sync speeds is trying to increase your SNR Margin.

Theres several things you can do to try and Improve your SNR Margin.

Most routers and modems will tell you what your SNRMargin is so that you can monitor it.  Details how to get your SNR Margin.

Monitoring your SNR Margin can often help understand whats happening on your line.
If you have any probs or want anything clarifying.. just holler
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 11:52:54 PM »

sorry, i just notice i posted in the wrong section

nps I'll move it to the correct section, but will leave a "shadow" in the old thread so you know where its gone. :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

shiplu

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 11:42:53 AM »

I started getting this problem after I moved my computer in new position, could that have caused it.

btw my speed has gone up, from 500k to 1mb this morning

shiplu

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 12:02:50 PM »

Im using propper broadband extension rj11, and it is tucked under the skirting board.
see the image below, map of my room. can the TV and other electrical effect the SNR.

could it make it better if i put the rj11 extension close to the celing

shiplu

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 12:13:44 PM »

here are my snr details from router

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 01:18:24 PM »

Sorry shiplu...  Id typed out a reply then lost it :/
tries again

>> after I moved my computer in new position, could that have caused it.

Its not impossible, - ask mr_chris who moved stuff around in his room, and a previously stable 8Mb connection is now proving troublesome.

I suppose the only way you will know for sure is moving things back as they were again.
As a test you could try just laying the cable round the room the other way

Code: [Select]
  |
  |

I know it may look messy but this is just for testing purposes to see if things improve.. and if they do, then its worthwhile seeing if you can keep the cable away from the back of the tele.

Its sometimes hard to know where the noise is coming from.
Fitting a NTE5 adsl filtered faceplate may also help

Out of curiousty which modem is it.. and is the xbox hooked up to your adsl connection too.

A rather expensive solution (thats not guaranteed), is purchasing a wireless router thats known to work well with lowSNR lines, and have it plugged straight into the phone socket. :(

---------------------------------------

On the plus side, it does seem like things are slowly improving.
It takes a full 3 days synced at the higher speeds before you will actually see the increased throughput speed.

Your attenuation isnt particulary high.. therefore I would expect you to get much higher speeds than you are currently seeing.  Your SNRMargin has a lot of leeway there too.

If you reconnected now.. based on those stats you would probably sync at an even higher speed.  However.. the downside is that if you do that.. then your SNRMargin drops as the day wears on (as it will likely do), then you may find yourself resyncing at a lower speed if the SNRMargin drops too low.

If you can keep your connection up as it is now (without dropping), then there is a good chance that in 3 or 4 days time, then your speed will increase to 2.5Mb

It maybe worthwhile monitoring your SNR Margin and sync speed over the next few days to see whats happening.
Its possible that things are now just resettling down after you moving things around.
Therefore if I were you I think I may be temped to leave things as they are for the next few days (keeping an eye on what your line stats are doing).. and seeing if you can get the 2.5Mb throughput.

Then after the 4 days..  if things have proved stable on your current sync speed and if your SNR Margin hasnt dropped too low...  you could perhaps see if you can try for 3Mb again.

-----

shiplu

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 01:30:08 PM »

Thank you for your expert advice. better advice than the tiscali technical people in india.

im gonna starts some cable changes and see what happens after 3 or 4 days.

shiplu

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 01:33:14 PM »

Out of curiousty which modem is it.. and is the xbox hooked up to your adsl connection too.

the modem is SafeCOM SWAMRU-54108
The xbox is linked to the modem by ethernet

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 01:40:53 PM »

yw..

I'd love to think its expert advice.. :/
Sadly though, SNR is a very variable thing (in more ways than one)  and most of the time there really is no hard and fast rules.
aside from the obvious - higher the SNR margin, the better.
What sometimes works for one, doesnt always work for another... and all you can do is suggest various things and hope that one of them works :/
-----

shiplu

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 11:33:25 PM »

1 last thing...

is it best to leave the router on over night or switch it off (at night, when not in use) , during these 3 days

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 01:34:53 AM »

Theres 2 schools of thoughts on this.

Some say leave it connected and dont switch off...
then some say reboot once a day.

One thing is certain though, turning on and off isn't good, so definitely dont do it more than a couple of times a day.
Once is supposed to be ok... particularly if you are hoping for a better sync speed... and it doesnt harm if you say switch off once overnight.
My thoughts are if you have a decent sync speed that you are happy with and its looking good, then leave it alone until you get the higher profile.
- If it aint b0rked dont fix it so to speak.
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 09:19:38 AM »

As a rule, turning your router off more than a couple of times in a day will cause you problems with your MaxDSL - it will trigger stuff at BT that will think you've got a line fault and will have the overall effect of decreasing the speed at which you can connect, by increasing your target SNR margin.

I am kicking myself for changing stuff around in my room - I used to have a perfectly stable 8Mb rock solid connection for months... now it's up and down more than the proverbial er.. yoyo!

Now my target SNR has now gone up to 12dB for some reason, and I was synced at 5.5Mb for a few days.
But I did manage to get synced at 7.8Mb this morning ;D which is exactly what I wanted - slightly under 8Mb to stop it re-syncing every so often. Now I have to never reboot my router again!! :D
Chris
Pages: [1] 2

anything