Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Line pair swap from premises to FTTC cabinet  (Read 3557 times)

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
Line pair swap from premises to FTTC cabinet
« on: April 22, 2016, 04:53:46 PM »

What exactly is in involved and how does the engineer ensure that the right FTTC profile remains in place? As in, not accidently put onto a 40/10 line profile from 80/20 since the wires are different?

Would you consider a line pair change the same as a having a new line installed?

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Line pair swap from premises to FTTC cabinet
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 05:48:47 PM »

Its just simply moving a jumper from one D side pair to another in the cab and moving your dropwire at the DP. Nothing changes as far as broadband is concerned.

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 06:42:53 PM »

Its just simply moving a jumper from one D side pair to another in the cab and moving your dropwire at the DP. Nothing changes as far as broadband is concerned.

So basically the same location in the cabinet and DP but just swap the line pairs? Like swapping an ethernet lead on a router?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 06:54:22 PM »

So basically the same location in the cabinet and DP but just swap the line pairs? Like swapping an ethernet lead on a router?

Yes, exactly.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 07:18:17 PM »

Yes, exactly.  :)

Now I was thinking, what if a new port was required in the cabinet? How would the engineer someone update records so that the new pair is linked to the same line? So that there won't be any discrepancies in line profiles, etc.?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 07:33:38 PM »

Its just another pair of copper wires, nothing too technical.

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 07:41:43 PM »

My line got a pair swap as part of a water ingress issue causing instability, a DLM reset was also performed afterwards :)

This I guess depends on the nature of the fault being voice or broadband.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 07:42:00 PM »

Its just another pair of copper wires, nothing too technical.

Yes, but I mean, what if due to a faulty port in the cab, another port had to be assigned? Would the cabinet automatically know it's the same "line, phone number"?

Like I've been reading about people's lines being switch for another number by some dodgy engineers?

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 07:45:06 PM »

I believe if they swap ports in the FTTC cab, they need to call up to get the port swapped before the service can be issued from that new port.

However, others will confirm
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 07:50:52 PM »

True ...... we can only provide a new port if the DCoE deem it suitable (and they kick the ar4e out of the stats before they do this).

The simple 'Copper pair'. Not as simple as some would have you believe. There's a whole host of 'things' that can and do go wrong, plus the 'disturbers' within the bundle that  will affect the X-Talk. We can do tests to check on the 'noise' levels of the disturbers, but generally wont. It is a legacy service ......... you get what you get for the most part.

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 07:52:02 PM »

True ...... we can only provide a new port if the DCoE deem it suitable (and they kick the ar4e out of the stats before they do this).

The simple 'Copper pair'. Not as simple as some would have you believe. There's a whole host of 'things' that can and do go wrong, plus the 'disturbers' within the bundle that  will affect the X-Talk. We can do tests to check on the 'noise' levels of the disturbers, but generally wont. It is a legacy service ......... you get what you get for the most part.

How easy it is for the DCoE to allow a line pair swap to clear a fault?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 08:08:36 PM »

That can come across as a loaded question. IF there has been a fault identified, it's incredibly easy to allocate a new port.

However, I would imagine the skill comes in deciphering the difference between pedants, and genuine fault scenarios. I have no idea of the parameters, but can well imagine the DCoE have their very own targets regarding allocation of new ports ??