Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Plusnet refusing to send openreach out  (Read 26694 times)

Busa

• Reg Member
Re: Plusnet refusing to send openreach out
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2016, 07:50:21 PM »

I'd love too but they don't seem to do an Unlimited option and with kids who are constantly on consoles, youtube, etc. we use quite a bit of data so it would work out very expensive.

TBH I'd love ditching Openreach all together more as I don't really see why we should have to fight for a reasonable service at all.

I was also looking at https://pulse8broadband.co.uk/ as they do FTTC with a month to month contract for a little more, anyone have any experience of them?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2016, 08:55:47 PM »

Do you really think you use more than 1TB monthly?

Busa

• Reg Member
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2016, 09:17:57 PM »

We can do on the odd month  :-[  ;)

Even so £60 a month will be hard to justify to the missus and the fact it is still a 12 month contract puts me off even knowing A&A actively pursue Openreach to correct things.

It also looks like it doesn't include telephone or calls?

I'm hopeful VM will be in within a few months so if need be and PlusNet do nothing I will just hold out until then.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2016, 10:12:16 PM »

if you using more than 1TB then have a word with your kids because that is absolutely insane usage.

The only type of usage I can see exceeding that is warez downloading.

Busa

• Reg Member
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2016, 10:39:42 PM »

Not just the kids mind I need to grab some pretty big 3d models at times as I work in the Oil and Gas game. A full 3d model of an entire platform including subsea layout or FPSO can be a little large as you can imagine.

No warez here

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2016, 11:05:07 PM »

I need to grab some pretty big 3d models at times as I work in the Oil and Gas game. A full 3d model of an entire platform including subsea layout or FPSO can be a little large as you can imagine
So do you have a business account?  :-X

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2016, 11:22:29 PM »

I use multiple Terabytes per month, I'd imagine a few are due to the BT TV though.

Also if you're uploading these same models it will be slower by a fair amount on virgin media.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2016, 12:10:47 AM »

I watch lots of HD netflix and dont come anywhere near close that, also download my games digitally, as well as use other on demand tv/movie services.

Things like BT iptv will be compressed enough so it works without a super fast speed and as a result you not going to get multi TB a month just watching iptv.

Of course if you downloading 4k bluray's a few dozen a month then you can be in the TB's :)

Busa

• Reg Member
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2016, 12:53:50 AM »

So do you have a business account?  :-X

No but then I don't have a business either, just the same as downloading electronic books doesn't mean I own a library ;)

Busa

• Reg Member
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2016, 12:55:32 AM »

Also if you're uploading these same models it will be slower by a fair amount on virgin media.

No uploading of models, just download so I can check a few things when required.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2016, 08:06:25 AM »

The AA price may look expensive but it includes the landline rental. How does the price compare to what you currently pay for fibre + phone?

Busa

• Reg Member
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2016, 10:11:38 AM »

Currently only paying £32 for line rental and broadband. I pay an extra £3 for free evening and weekend calls too and have a Static IP which cost me the one off fee of £5.

Still works out almost double the cost and then I'd have to go through all the pain of the last 13 weeks again with no guarantee of a fix still.

As of this morning with the introduction of interleaving my speed has now dropped to below the FTTC A Low rate on the downstream and it is still some 1.7Mbps below on the upstream. I've now lost 13Mbps from my download speed in a month, that's 27%!

From DSLStats my actual Max line Rate has increased whilst the actual connection rate has decreased:

xdslctl info --stats
xdslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last Retrain Reason:    0
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 6532 Kbps, Downstream rate = 45555 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 6466 Kbps, Downstream rate = 37770 Kbps

Link Power State:       L0
Mode:                   VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:          Profile 17a
TPS-TC:                 PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):        6.3             6.1
Attn(dB):        22.2            0.0
Pwr(dBm):        12.4            3.5

I'm currently waiting for a call from the PlusNet Complaints Advisor, I really want to hear his defence for this now.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 10:57:59 AM by Busa »

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2016, 11:12:06 AM »

This (price) is the problem.   Cheap ISPs like Plusnet are driving the price right down, now nobody want to pay more for a better service.  This in turn shrinks the market for said better service, and makes it's price even higher.   I noticed on Plusnet's forums that there were almost as many complaints from existing customer upset because they can't get free broadband like a new customer, as there were people complaining about the poor service.

For me the price wasn't such an issue, on a 20CN non low priced exchange I couldn't get any of these dirt cheap offers anyway, and on a slow line I don't need hundreds of gig per month.  So A&A works out £7.50 pm more expensive, I've saved £4 of that by moving the phone line to Pulse 8, and could save more still by moving the line to A&A which would make it effectively no price increase at all.

Busa

• Reg Member
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2016, 11:49:04 AM »

Price isn't the real issue for me either but I really can't be bothered to go through all this pain again whilst keep putting money in the pockets of Openreach/BT if I change supplier.

I'll keep on at PlusNet, I have a good case now my download and upload speeds are both below the FTTC A Low range, some 14Mbps download less than prior to my Openreach visit on 11/04/16. My line is not impacted at all either.

I am expecting a call today from their Complaints Advisor, let's see what he has to say now.

Busa

• Reg Member
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2016, 01:14:07 PM »

PlusNet are totally unbelievable, just picked up a voicemail left by the Complaints Advisor and he has said they will send out an Openreach Engineer again should I wish however if they do not find anything they will charge me!!

Let me get this straight, I have to pay for someone to not find the fault they caused in the first place?

Are they having a ******* laugh!!!  >:( >:( :blush: >:( >:(

[Edited for language - Roseway]
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 02:46:04 PM by roseway »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

anything