Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: VMG1312-B10D - any good?  (Read 30482 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: VMG1312-B10D - any good?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 11:39:43 PM »

Sorry, yes, got it the wrong way round - what I meant was 801p is shown as 0 in Zen's quide rather than 2. Does it make any difference?

I always had it set as 1.  Then someone advised me (via tplink) that they had to have it set for 2 for TalkTalk.. and then later BT.

Last year I switched from Apple to Android and got chromecast (& a Now Box) to replace Apple TV.  I was having problems getting it to work..  yet when I changed 802.1p setting from 1 to 2 and also disabled IGMP proxy..  it worked fine.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 07:08:00 AM »

I've now got my VMG1312-B10D back on test, online and working fine; my INP has been reduced from 48 (long term) to 44.
Now works just fine with DSLstats using the provided router selection as 'VMG1312-B10A' and then changing the required stats command to xdslctl
The xdslctl configure --maxDataRate  x y z        is seen to work as intended.

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 10:39:16 AM »

After several day's use of this router being online, I'm finding it to be very good indeed in terms of reliability and  VDSL performance. The up/down rates are very similar to my Billion 8800NL and it has reduced my normal INP of 48 down to 44. It works well with DSLstats and shows error rates somewhat lower than the usual, and its BCM control is fully accessible via telnet.

I'm powering it directly from my mini 12v UPS rather than using the supplied power adapter, and it runs very cool indeed; no excess temperatures at all.

Though its GUI management interface provides access to a wealth of features, and which will be of interest to some folk, I haven't implemented much beyond basic VDSL setup, configuration save, DSLdiagnostics, and turning wi-fi off.

All in all I rate this very highly, and its value for money is excellent. It is doing so well for me  that I'm in no rush whatsoever to return to my Billion 8800NL  and will continue with it online for the the time being.

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 11:56:14 AM »

The router is still doing brilliantly, and is now my first choice for general VDSL use.
Two observations tho:
1. I cannot find a GUI way to drop and reconnect a PPP session when working in normal 'PPP always on' mode. I've asked Zyxel about it, but no answer as yet.
2. The 2 logs, System and Security never have anything whatsoever recorded in them, even tho I've selected to have all events recorded. I've asked Zyxel Support and they say it is 'a design limitation'......I've suggested that's difficult to believe when the User Manual goes into some length about logging/viewing.

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 09:03:34 AM »

The empty logs issue has been sorted; all it required was to have 'Syslogging' enabled....but to 'local file' rather than a Syslog server.
Security and system logs now work fine.
Zyxel Support confirm there is no GUI function to just disconnect or connect a PPPoE session; a resync or reboot is required.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 11:07:04 AM by jack21 »

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 04:33:52 PM »

I have had what was once leonroy's device in use for a day or so.  Performance on ECI DSALM with obviously no G,INP  at this time is a bit better than I had with a TP-Link TD-W9970 which has the same chipset. 

With the TD-W9970 and a full day and a half of testing I found the TD-9970 was not quite as good as e.g. a ZyXEL VMG1312 or Billion 8800NL. The error rate seemed a bit higher than those and other 63168 devices.  The wireless n was also not as good.  Nothing too bad but I would say very mediocre performance.

With the VMG1312-B10D the downstream sync was less than with 63168 devices but a bit more than a HG612, similar the TD-W9970.  The upstream was a couple of Mb/s less than the other devices and similar to the TD-W9970.  This upstream drop in speed seems consistent with it always getting an upstream power about 1 db less than other devices.  Error rates may be little better than with both the other 63168 devices and also the W9970. For me the HG612 remains best for errors.  The wireless was good and better than the  ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A or Billion 8800NL. The power up and gui response times are tediously slow but the gui allows all you would expect and did consistently work. For me nothing was lacking.  dslstats worked fine and the VMG1312-B10D  allows multiple telnet sessions.

Seems good for the price

Sheepie

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2016, 01:30:38 PM »

does anyone know (or can test) if the tone selection works with the Zyxel VMG1312-B10D ?

Basically, what I am after is a vdsl2 model where I can deselect certain tones. I know from monitoring SNR on a number of tones that some are pretty bad, and without the ability to deselect these I am getting the odd latency spike every 20 sec or so (>100ms), I guess this is due to GINP retransmits? And these spikes really mess up online gaming :(

At the moment I am using a Billion 8800NL (v2.32d.dh65) and somehow managed to get the following commands to exclude the bad tones, and it was perfect for 18 months until I had a powercut. Now I cannot get these commands to work:

adsl connection --tones 0-210,212-280,283-337,339-4096 --up

"adsl info --Bits" still shows the excluded tones as being used

Pages: 1 [2]

anything