Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which MP3 player.  (Read 13584 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Which MP3 player.
« on: March 31, 2008, 08:37:37 AM »

Hi all,in my new car it has a socket to plug in an mp3 player and listen via the car speakers.I am therefore looking to buy an mp3 player,but what do I need to look out for.I have quite a lot of cd's on my computer which I would like to put on the mp3 to save taking loads of cd's away with us.I am looking for one 2 to 4Gb.I have never owned an mp3 player so its all new to me,so ease of use is quite important.Any help would be appreciated.

Edit. This looks pretty cool,any thoughts

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=NWZ-S515&site=odw_en_GB&imageType=Main&category=NWS+S+Series
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 09:00:49 AM by UncleUB »

Re: Which MP3 player.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 10:14:51 AM »

We tend to use Creative MP3 players without many issues :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MP3-Digital-Audio-Players/s/ref=sr_nr_p_4_4?ie=UTF8&rs=573372&bbn=573372&rnid=365489011&rh=n%3A560798%2Cn%3A560884%2Cn%3A573372%2Cp%5F4%3ACreative

Yes I know they look like Ipods, but that's because Apple ripped off Creative's design and in fact Apple have to pay Creative a few dollars for every Ipod sold ;)

Avoid Sony like the plague and get a player which handles high bitrate MP3s - stick to that and you'll end up with something decent that'll probably work as advertised :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 10:28:52 AM »

Rizla,why avoid Sony? the reviews on amazon from buyers seem quite positive.Don't understand what is meant by high bitrateMP3s

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 11:01:06 AM »

Put very simply, high bitrate MP3s are where you copy your CDs to the computer and the audio is converted in a higher-quality MP3 file.

MP3 is a lossy compression method where the audio can loose quality depending on the level of compression and the encoder employed. In MP3 terms, the higher the bitrate, the better the quality will be (whether you notice it, particuarly in a car or other noisy environment is a different matter). The downside is that the files are bigger.

MP3 bit rates for copying music tracks in most audio programs can be set from 64Kbps to as high as 320Kbps. The higher the bit rate the more audio precision is maintained within the compressed file.

So MP3 players that can handle MP3 files with high bit-rates are favourable if you prefer to have high-quality audio files rather than just cramming as many MP3s as possible on there.

I have a 4GB Apple iPod Nano which is very easy to use. The only thing with iPods as you may well know is that iTunes is the only audio application which can be used to manage the iPod.

All the same, I like iTunes and I use the Apple Lossless Encoder for my music. A lossless encoder means that the audio quality should be the same as that of the original on the CD. The downside is that the files are 30Mb to 50Mb per track depending on length and the variable bit rate.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:05:44 AM by soms »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 05:44:34 PM »

Still trying to find out why Sony should be avoided(like the plague)

MikeS

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 08:36:05 PM »

In the past they have been less than straightforward - sticking root kits - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit - on your PC without letting you know, which had security implications.  They also has their own propriatory compression format which was a pain as other players couldn't read it.  Overall they seemed obsessed with copy protection and didn't particularly care how they enforced it.  Consequently they are on my list of to be avoided

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 10:03:21 AM »

Just a question.All I want to do is drag and drop music files from windows media player 11 (vista) into an mp3 player.If I bought an i-pod can I do this or do i have to do it via i-tunes?Would I have to transfer my music collection from media player 11 before I could put it onto the i-pod?

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 10:39:56 AM »

Plenty of Creatives to choose from at eBuyer:

http://tinyurl.com/3d7mxz

Play.com might be worth a browse too:

http://tinyurl.com/2kskdc
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 10:52:55 AM »

cheers floydy,I have narrowed my search down to either a sandisk sansa e260 4mb or a samsung YP-T10JABXEU.I'm just abit tempted by the i-pod nano but being tied to i-tunes is making me think again.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 11:11:19 AM »

You'd be better getting a generic MP3 player, rather than being locked into i-tunes.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 11:52:25 AM »

Thats what I thought.Having watched the Sandisk demo video it looks so simple in media player 11 to drag and drop your music straight into your player. :)

dwtb

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 04:34:58 PM »

UncleUB, not sure if you've got one already but i've just done a post on the top 5 MP3s around at the moment: www.decidewhattobuy.com . Got my stats from people who actually bought the products and interestingly the only iPod is at number 5. It's a Sony one-two so you might be better off going with one of them although I've had my Creative for years and it's brilliant.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 05:44:45 PM »

Thanks for that dwtb,thats interesting because a lot of the guys have dissed Sony on here.I myself have read a lot of reviews and there is not much bad said about Sony (since they dropped the sonic software and made everything able to sync with windows media player.)The one that I am now(after much research) 95% certain to buy is th 8gb NWZA818B.I shall mainly use it for music.I will use it in the car via theAUX socket.Also the earphones which come with it look very good quality,it saves on spending extra cash.

dwtb

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 06:01:19 PM »

No probs. Yeah, I have to agree with you, I know a lot of people who have invested in Sony's and really like them. They tend to have a much better track record for battery life but I guess that's not hard!
Pages: [1] 2

anything