Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT DSL Checker accuracy  (Read 3097 times)

JRHartley

• Just arrived
BT DSL Checker accuracy
« on: April 20, 2016, 10:55:22 PM »

Hi,
My new FTTC service is getting poor speeds compared to what BT predict on their checker site for my phone number.
They estimate:
A (clean) 80 80 20 20
B (impacted) 80 69.2 20 19

I'm actually getting sync speed of 48.3/15.9 (and actual speed of 45/13).
Attenuation of 21.3

Is BT's website accurate based on actual line length or just a rough guess? BT are offering an overpriced engineer visit to investigate if there's actually a fault.

Thanks

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: BT DSL Checker accuracy
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 10:56:42 PM »

Their estimate should be accurate. How long have you been installed?

JRHartley

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 11:05:08 PM »

Hi,
Thanks for replying. It's been enabled for 6 days.
I've checked other houses on my estate and they get different results on that test site so I assumed it had some level of accuracy but I've heard it's just a good estimate.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 12:16:11 AM »

Its usually conservative with its estimates.
But seeing your attenuation of 21.3 dB then you are looking in the region of 45-50 Mbps, also depending if g.inp is enabled yet.
iirc Ronski used to get about 47Mbps on his line which has similar attenuation.

Could that telephone number have been re-issued and the data carried from a previous premises?
What does the checker say if you use the postcode?

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

JRHartley

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 01:00:27 AM »

Looks like I'm getting about typical speeds for that attenuation then. Just checked the address checker and that comes back with
A 80 78 20 20
B 80 56.7 20 17.3

The phone line has always been mine from new 12 years ago so there's shouldn't be an issue there.

Ultimately I guess I have high attenuation causing low speeds. I'm just stuck on whether it's line length or a fault. BT can't find anything at the cabinet end supposedly so I'm not sure what there is fault wise they could find at my end?

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 01:06:03 AM »

Looks like I'm getting about typical speeds for that attenuation then. Just checked the address checker and that comes back with
A 80 78 20 20
B 80 56.7 20 17.3

The phone line has always been mine from new 12 years ago so there's shouldn't be an issue there.

Ultimately I guess I have high attenuation causing low speeds. I'm just stuck on whether it's line length or a fault. BT can't find anything at the cabinet end supposedly so I'm not sure what there is fault wise they could find at my end?

A few good things to check are how far the cabinet is from your house and make an estimate of how long the line could be.

Also I assume you are plugged into the master socket and not an extension line.

JRHartley

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 01:29:50 AM »

Thanks for the reply.

All plugged into the master socket with a brand new faceplate and shielded rj11. My house is on the corner of a square shaped estate, with my neighbour (one house closer to the cabinet) having an attenuation of 13.6 (compared to my 21.3). He's a minimum of 480m from the cabinet. I guess it's possible they've cabled me the long way round the estate.

But I'm just still surprised the BT checker is so far off as I thought the phone number search would be accurate, but maybe not.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 01:40:20 AM »

Thanks for the reply.

All plugged into the master socket with a brand new faceplate and shielded rj11. My house is on the corner of a square shaped estate, with my neighbour (one house closer to the cabinet) having an attenuation of 13.6 (compared to my 21.3). He's a minimum of 480m from the cabinet. I guess it's possible they've cabled me the long way round the estate.

But I'm just still surprised the BT checker is so far off as I thought the phone number search would be accurate, but maybe not.
Is your neighbor on a different telegraph pole?

Only three things jump to mind of you are on different poles.

Neighbor has a thicker gauge wire somehow as 13.6 seems low for 480m.

Your pair could be made of aluminium.

Or your wire goes the long way around the estate as you mentioned.

JRHartley

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 02:11:17 AM »

All the cabling is underground as it's a relatively new housing estate so there's no poles. I'll try and get some stats from other neighbours and compare attenuation.