Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What Can A Broadband Boost Openreach Engineer Do?  (Read 11996 times)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
Re: What Can A Broadband Boost Openreach Engineer Do?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 10:07:55 AM »

I think you need to start reading posts and scanning the forum before posting that, I have made a formal apology in the chat section. What do you mean "Hang back for the engineer."?

I'd suggest you wait for the engineer and let him do his job. If you get too angsty, pester him and start telling him how to do his job he may do a rush job because he wants to escape.

If he's a Boost engineer he deals with cases like yours regularly.

Tea, biscuits, explain the issue then let him do his thing :)

EDIT: Thanks for the PM, have responded. Please try and relax over all this. You are only allowed to get this stressed over women and exams at this time.

Thanks for the reassurance, Ignition. :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:04:03 PM by burakkucat »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 10:30:02 AM »

Well, it wouldn't have come to this if the DLM reset was supposed to remove the banding, would it? I'm not sure what you want me to say to that, I'm afraid.

I'm not having a go, just stating some facts and in all fairness, it wouldn't have happened if you hadnt decided to do about 20+ resyncs despite advice from some of us not to.

• We know most of the facts about what can cause DLM to kick in. 
  • What we are unsure about is the reversal process -  I couldn't find much useful info on this.   Also from observations on many lines there is nothing we have seen to show there is a strict pattern for removal that works the same on all lines.

I've been DLM'd a few times and even had banding on my own line and in my case it appeared to use the 'doubler method' to remove it.   
However in one instance where I was monitoring closely mine happened after a line fault that caused many thousands of Errored seconds and as such my line would have been classed ILQ red/crimson.  iirc Chris Pettit has also talked about a doubler method and also a fixed days.

• Preforming lots of rapid line syncs causes the line to be classed as ILQ Scarlet.   

I know for a fact that Scarlet is supposed to trigger some sort of immediate and more intensive monitoring.  What that is,  I don't know because the doc didn't make it very clear. :/
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:33:23 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 10:44:40 AM »

What I cannot understand is that everyone wants me to upload to MDWS and then everyone just stops posting. Like what's that all about?

If I had data from MDWS I'd be able to fill in the blanks for you to tell you exactly what you needed to say to the Openreach Engineer.
I'm unable to see the data that you need to tell the Engineer which would vastly improve your chances of getting it sorted properly.

Also in one of your other threads you said you hoped your line wasn't flapping.   
If we had MDWS data about your line then I'd be able to tell you for sure if it was flapping or not.

We are trying to help, but you need to help us to be able to help you and that means letting us see your line info.
There's several people on this forum who are very experienced at being able to tell an awful lot about line conditions and line faults... if only you can provide that data.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 10:48:35 AM »

[Moderator edited to remove the entire quote of the above post.]

Ok, I'm upload data to MDWS under WilliamG, I hope you can see that, if you require older data then sorry I don't have that data however for all our benefit including myself I have started to upload permanently to MDWS.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:08:04 PM by burakkucat »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 10:50:37 AM »

I will print out this post specifically and read up on it to see what I need to say, we don't want he/she to know do we? I've got 2 days to read up and understand what I need to try to do (lets just hope I don't get one of my stupid giggles otherwise I will have to think of something depressing).

This is why I suggested you write everything down as per my list.  :)
I would have filled in the blanks for you,  but I can't see the data I need, so you will have to fill in those figures yourself.

If you have everything written down in a bullet point format, then it makes it easy for the engineer to understand those main points you need to convey to him.
-----

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 10:53:21 AM »

Well, it wouldn't have come to this if the DLM reset was supposed to remove the banding, would it? I'm not sure what you want me to say to that, I'm afraid.

I'm not having a go, just stating some facts and in all fairness, it wouldn't have happened if you hadnt decided to do about 20+ resyncs despite advice from some of us not to.

• We know most of the facts about what can cause DLM to kick in. 
  • What we are unsure about is the reversal process -  I couldn't find much useful info on this.   Also from observations on many lines there is nothing we have seen to show there is a strict pattern for removal that works the same on all lines.

I've been DLM'd a few times and even had banding on my own line and in my case it appeared to use the 'doubler method' to remove it.   
However in one instance where I was monitoring closely mine happened after a line fault that caused many thousands of Errored seconds and as such my line would have been classed ILQ red/crimson.  iirc Chris Pettit has also talked about a doubler method and also a fixed days.

• Preforming lots of rapid line syncs causes the line to be classed as ILQ Scarlet.   

I know for a fact that Scarlet is supposed to trigger some sort of immediate and more intensive monitoring.  What that is,  I don't know because the doc didn't make it very clear. :/

Ok, yes I know it's my own fault and why I even asked for all this help for something I personally did myself is in it's self wrong, that's why I am trying to tell everyone that I do appreciate all the help you give me for something that could have been easily rectified in the first place...

As far as I remember, I performed at least 20 retrains on the first day, then 10 the next day, but I'm pretty sure I did not do 5 the next day so that my line went into the "stable" profile, I'm pretty sure I only went as far as the "standard" profile but by now, that profile should of been removed, so it's possible the I am in ILQ scarlet as you have stated. Whatever happens, I hope that the banding is removed however if it can't then I only have myself to blame and that's the way it's going to be until we either get cable or FTTP.

I've just taken the dog a walk in this lovely warm sunshine and it definitely did me good, that's probably why I've now managed to write such a long reply.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 10:54:13 AM »

I will print out this post specifically and read up on it to see what I need to say, we don't want he/she to know do we? I've got 2 days to read up and understand what I need to try to do (lets just hope I don't get one of my stupid giggles otherwise I will have to think of something depressing).

This is why I suggested you write everything down as per my list.  :)
I would have filled in the blanks for you,  but I can't see the data I need, so you will have to fill in those figures yourself.

If you have everything written down in a bullet point format, then it makes it easy for the engineer to understand those main points you need to convey to him.

Alright, I'll make sure of that, many thanks again.

Ok, everything has been typed up and ready. *Does the cross symbol*
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:09:38 AM by William Grimsley »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 11:24:35 AM »

but I'm pretty sure I did not do 5 the next day so that my line went into the "stable" profile, I'm pretty sure I only went as far as the "standard" profile but by now, that profile should of been removed,

The standard/stable profiles is an ISP related thing and doesnt change.
I think BTr use Speed for the stability level.
See here to understand what the stability profile is - Stability Level.

So if BTr do use Speed  - that means DLM works on MBTR of 4200 to go scarlet.

86400 / 4200  = 20 resyncs in one day of full uptime.

If they use standard

86400 / 8400 = 10 resyncs in one full day of uptime.
-----

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 11:29:45 AM »

[Moderator edited to remove the entire quote of the above post.]

Yes, BT Retail use Speed. So even doing 20 resyncs on the first day would mean scarlet? I only lost 1 Kbps off my Downstream Rate the next day...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:06:13 PM by burakkucat »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2016, 06:41:17 PM »

William - can I ask a favour please.

There's no need to quote the full post if you are directly responding to the person above.
Use the quotes if you are replying to an item further up in the thread, or if you wish to highlight a particular sentence or paragraph that you are responding too.

I've had a couple of people mention over the past few days that the nested quotes are getting out of hand and it makes a thread hard to read, and I had to spend a good half hour or so last night cleaning up posts.

I now have about 25 unanswered PMs and in excess of 80 e-mails outstanding.  I was supposed to be doing something else this eve, but Ive cancelled it because Im getting so backlogged with admin stuff to the point I'm becoming stressed out myself cause I cant keep on top of everything.  I know Im going to have to take a few days out over the next week and I wont be around, so things are just going to pile up further.

Thanks for your understanding.

-----

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2016, 07:01:35 PM »

Sorry, kitz. I didn't realise that quoting you was sending you an email. I didn't realise it was causing all this inconvienience. :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2016, 08:05:09 PM »

oops, I think you misunderstand what I meant.

Other people had complained about the nested quotes making threads hard to read.

Then I was having a moan because I have lots of emails and PMs that need answering, yet I'd spent about half an hour trying to tidy up threads and removed nested quotations.
-----

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2016, 08:30:19 PM »

Oh, feel for you kitz really do you have spent so much of your own time building such a brilliant community some of it for free except for donations on kitz and MDWS. You do work hard, keep going girl! :D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:03:26 PM by William Grimsley »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2016, 08:58:59 PM »

LOL.   Bangs head on the desk.

"There's no need to quote the full post if you are directly responding to the person above."

Its the use of unneeded quotes that is making the forum hard to read for some people and why I had to go cleaning up unneeded quotations and multiple nested quotes, when theres other things I could be doing.

>>  some of it for free except for donations on kitz and MDWS

This site is free...  I sit here for hours for the grand salary of £0.     

Donations to MDWS have nothing to do with me.  MDWS is Tony's baby.

-----

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2016, 09:04:59 PM »

Sorry, kitz.

I'll try my best to not quote people from now on. Thanks for all your hard work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4