Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What Can A Broadband Boost Openreach Engineer Do?  (Read 11998 times)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
What Can A Broadband Boost Openreach Engineer Do?
« on: April 19, 2016, 09:04:30 PM »

Hello everyone,

I was just going to ask, if you don't mind, what a Broadband Boost Openreach engineer can do? Is it just a DLM reset? Is it possible that he may try to investigate that I have a fault? I'm just asking these questions as I don't want a charge and/or nothing done...

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: What Can A Broadband Boost Openreach Engineer Do?
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 09:55:49 PM »

Basically they are specifically sent to investigate speed related faults...
... and are cheaper than an SFI visit (which most ISPs tend to use) when it comes to cost for the ISP/EU.

Primarily they check internal wiring/CPE, but they can also do checks on the local loop equipment.

You will need to be very clear and tell him that you have quote

my line is still *cough* banded...
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 09:56:35 PM »

Basically they are specifically sent to investigate speed related faults...
... and are cheaper than an SFI visit (which most ISPs tend to use) when it comes to cost for the ISP/EU.

Primarily they check internal wiring/CPE, but they can also do checks on the local loop equipment.

You will need to be very clear and tell him that you have quote

my line is still *cough* banded...

Right, but I can't tell him that I've been rebooting the router so what do you recommend?

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 09:57:51 PM »

try saying that you've been banded and you'd like it removed.

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 09:58:39 PM »

Just tell him your sync rate has been banded and that your attainable rate is higher. Prove this by showing your stats.

He'll most likely have a JDSU tester.

He will call HQ and request a DLM reset if approved.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 10:00:38 PM »

Just tell him your sync rate has been banded and that your attainable rate is higher. Prove this by showing your stats.

He'll most likely have a JDSU tester.

He will call HQ and request a DLM reset if approved.

Cool, cheers. It's a shame they can't just get an engineer to do that say on the way between a job, Openreach CEO may have a trick up his sleve. ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 12:48:17 AM »

As much as I hate to say this then I think your best chance of getting this removed is by lying about the amount of resyncs that you did a few months ago.

If he finds out that you inflicted the wrath of the DLM by your own accord then you could get charged.
I'm of the opinion that your ISP/Openreach shouldnt have to foot the bill for something of your own doing.   

But conversely if Openreach made it easy for the ISP to reset and we didnt have to call out an engineer to do something that IMHO could be done remotely then theyve made a rod for their own back and more work for their engineers which could easily be remedied without the need for a call out.

----

Sooo...  bearing in mind that you did all those resyncs using your HH5 and then you bought your own Billion. 

• Why dont you say that one day you had a shed load of reboots on the HH5 which evoked the DLM   
  • You went and bought your own router and since that date the line has been perfectly stable (which it has).
  • Despite waiting for over 2 months, the DLM still has capped your line at 34999 and it wont go back to normal.

Now if I could access your stats from MDWS I could tell you exactly what you need to say next, but since I cant see your stats then I cant tell you what to say...  but it would be something like.

• The line has been very stable at 34999 and had a surplus SNRM of {need what this figure was}  and a maximum attainable of {need this figure}
  • Knowing that your max attainable was more than 40k  {need this figure} you thought they by upgrading to the 55/10 product that it would cause a DLM reset, plus get a bit more speed.
  • However, despite being on the 55/10 the 35k cap has followed and you now also have interleaving and FEC, the overheads of which have decreased your max attainable further.
  • You know your line is stable and that the Errored Seconds are very low, but you cannot get rid of the 35k cap.

Make sure that you impress on the engineer that you know the difference between sync speed and max attainable speed.

Make sure you read my points very carefully and are able to tell them to the engineer in a polite and unrushed manner.
If it helps, write down these facts on a piece of paper and hand it to him so he can read them in his own time to digest the relevant points.

• Finally offer tea and biccies. 

Dont lie to him if youve been doing lots of syncs over the past few days - because he will be able to see this info.
If asked, hold your hands up and say it was you rebooting in the hope of picking up a new DLM profile.

I would keep the line as stable as possible over the next few days.  DO NOT REBOOT.   Let him see that the line is stable.   He can check, so the less you do with your line over the next few days, the better.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 12:54:15 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 08:03:07 AM »

Alright, cheers again kitz.

I'm not going to touch the router now I'm uploading to MDWS. The data would start to become inaccurate then. I will print out this post specifically and read up on it to see what I need to say, we don't want he/she to know do we? I've got 2 days to read up and understand what I need to try to do (lets just hope I don't get one of my stupid giggles otherwise I will have to think of something depressing). LOL.

The excitement is starting again with only around 48 hours to go, the longer you wait for things the more you enjoy them, to even have an Openreach engineer come to the house will be pretty cool! :D

Just had an email back from Openreach saying that the issue has been passed to the executive department of BT. :)

admin - removed proceeding quote
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:45:56 AM by kitz »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 09:41:22 AM »

You seem awfully... fixated by your broadband, William. You're spending an extraordinary amount of time and effort over a few extra megabits.

I can only imagine what the house move I did when I moved in with my now-wife would've done to you. 100Mb cable to 1.3Mb ADSL.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 09:46:36 AM »

You seem awfully... fixated by your broadband, William. You're spending an extraordinary amount of time and effort over a few extra megabits.

I can only imagine what the house move I did when I moved in with my now-wife would've done to you. 100Mb cable to 1.3Mb ADSL.

Well, it wouldn't have come to this if the DLM reset was supposed to remove the banding, would it? I'm not sure what you want me to say to that, I'm afraid.

What I cannot understand is that everyone wants me to upload to MDWS and then everyone just stops posting. Like what's that all about?

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 09:54:49 AM »

Best guess people need the data to help further and have backed off after you took offence and said you'd report people for badgering you.

Hang back for the engineer.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 09:56:59 AM »

Best guess people need the data to help further and have backed off after you took offence and said you'd report people for badgering you.

Hang back for the engineer.

I think you need to start reading posts and scanning the forum before posting that, I have made a formal apology in the chat section. What do you mean "Hang back for the engineer."?

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 10:02:11 AM »

I think you need to start reading posts and scanning the forum before posting that, I have made a formal apology in the chat section. What do you mean "Hang back for the engineer."?

I'd suggest you wait for the engineer and let him do his job. If you get too angsty, pester him and start telling him how to do his job he may do a rush job because he wants to escape.

If he's a Boost engineer he deals with cases like yours regularly.

Tea, biscuits, explain the issue then let him do his thing :)

EDIT: Thanks for the PM, have responded. Please try and relax over all this. You are only allowed to get this stressed over women and exams at this time.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:05:26 AM by Ignitionnet »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything