Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL 20CN - synch rate to profile changes  (Read 1880 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
ADSL 20CN - synch rate to profile changes
« on: April 19, 2016, 01:07:30 PM »

Hi,

Our line is prone to occasional drops during bad weather, and sometimes it briefly reconnects at a lower synch speed.  Is there some rule of thumb as to how long it needs to stay at that lower speed before the BT machine decides to reduce the profile?   It's not quite seemed consistent.

Thanks, Tony S

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
Re: ADSL 20CN - synch rate to profile changes
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 10:13:47 PM »

I always thought it was immediate....

mikeh

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 03:44:25 AM »

I remember it could be about an hour before the profile would change on ASDL Max.

The Current Line Speed system that Plusnet uses can also delay a profile change also with ASDL2+.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 07:11:05 AM »

Cheers, it's not happened often enough for me to have a good view, maybe only once a month.  However I am completely sure that the line reconnected once at 3700 for a few hours without dropping the profile, but that once a similar slow speed connection resulted in a slower profile that took days to clear.   The problem is a day/night SNR variation, so if the line drops for any reason overnight it comes back slow.

mikeh

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 08:44:23 PM »

Because my line is unstable and prone to connect at much lower speed I would turn it off and only turn it on during daytime while I used it. As long as the sync was high the DLM would increase the profile after 2 to 3 days. I didn't need to be on 24/7 for the profile change up. Otherwise I would have stayed at <2mb. Of course it helps if you don't need the internet all day!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 08:54:03 PM by mikeh »