Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Odd reset occuring  (Read 2484 times)

central scrutiniser

Odd reset occuring
« on: April 17, 2016, 04:23:44 PM »

I'm not really that tech savvy but can someone tell me if this this DHCP resetting is being done by the router, or is it some other fault  ???:-

[attachment deleted by admin]

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
Re: Odd reset occuring
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 05:23:54 PM »

What line number are you concerned about??

central scrutiniser

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 07:36:38 PM »

3 and 25 really.This is happening regularly now,  each time there is an adjustment to the connections speed either up or down the modems never goe beyond two days before they reset, and the speeds go all to hell again.
The only reason I have selected 3 25 is that they appear to  be plusnet adjustments.

ISP SAYS line is showing good but are doing further testing , but insist  the disconnects have been instigated my side of the connection.I have not reset/ rebooted  powered on ~ off the router at all, It's nearly like a time out fault or similar, but the modem option for the timeout period is greyed out, auto connect  to  ISP.

This behavior is repeated with a HD 635  as well, I can't do more than two three days without an  unauthorised  disconnect.Nothing seesm to get the chance to settle into any pattern.

Have had two line faults reset, two  electrical storm power cuts and a resync within the last two weeks, I fear the zyxel  may have been damaged, but the hd 635 was in a cupboard this whole time

All interconnects  cat 6a modem to 2 PCS ,  modem to  microfilter Cat 5a (1m).Have tried  with 3 different new  microfilters all via test socket.I have recently had to disconnect a cordless phone as when fully charged and left idle ringer on handset it was showing and chord line error stop working completely no dialtone  and would redlight  disconnect the modem, possibly damaged as well now binned.Surge protected extension sockets though old, are still functional.

I am beginning to suspect fault dirty mains, extension socket  something electrical  etc .. any thoughts ?

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 03:19:51 AM »

Obvious thought is check the cable that connects the modem to the wall socket.
If the cable is making a bad connection it my be intermittantly 'breaking connection'
This could be either a bad fit at the socket ends or an internal break in the cable which makes/breaks if the cable is moved.
You see a similar 'random' loss' of connection when ethernet cables go the same way and have an internal break in a connector.

If you have spare cable to substitute try swapping cables. (Usually get a cable with a modem so may have a spare from an old modem.)

Sent from my Samsung SM-P900 via Tapatalk (Typos & Bad formatting are free)

central scrutiniser

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 09:48:35 AM »

So obvious as you say, completely missed it  :blush:,Have changed  modem lead and my new phone is busy charging and plugged into the micro filter, all well so far.

central scrutiniser

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 08:48:15 AM »

Just to update

OR engineer discovered corroded screw and wire in main junction box for the building for my line giving intermittent connection.Tidied up an open jointer box with a new one further round the building that had all it's connections exposed to the elements for the other apartments, it looked like my line ran to it, but in fact was behind it, this  along with discovered  fault at the  cab 20 mtrs from the front gate, all remedied on the 5th May, connection speed has been pretty  constant since, and we are very pleased.

I have to say that Origin broadband are very quick to pounce on any faults I report (my actual out of area partner provider is Plusnet ) and I heartily recommend them.Also It's common to criticise OR BT ,but in this instance the visiting engineer went past what he was there to do,( technically their equipment I know ), but he put right what was a prospective fault  source for the rest of the residents here on his visit, both he , and OR should be given credit for it.

This is how my line now performs :-
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 08:52:40 AM by central scrutiniser »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 04:44:30 PM »

Also It's common to criticise OR BT ,but in this instance the visiting engineer went past what he was there to do,( technically their equipment I know ), but he put right what was a prospective fault  source for the rest of the residents here on his visit, both he , and OR should be given credit for it.

Perhaps you would be willing to register that praise with Openreach? Just go to the "Tell Us Something" page, scroll down to the "Let us know how we did" heading and then left-click on "send them a thank you message".  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

central scrutiniser

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 06:26:47 PM »

Perhaps you would be willing to register that praise with Openreach? Just go to the "Tell Us Something" page, scroll down to the "Let us know how we did" heading and then left-click on "send them a thank you message".  :)

Duly done  ;).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 06:30:34 PM »

Thank you.  :)

I think it is important that we, the end-users, provide feed-back on the service received.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 06:56:12 PM »

Thank you cs, and B*cat for supplying the relevant linky.  :)