Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Apple users, a better class?  (Read 5956 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Apple users, a better class?
« on: April 15, 2016, 05:59:04 PM »

I find my Apple Watch is still sufficiently rare that when I wave it for contactless payment in any shop for the first time, as like or not it'll draw a comment, usually just an expression of surprise.  I try not to feel smug and to just look cool, though looking cool isn't easy at my age.  ::)

But on my recent trip to the US I turned up at Heathrow Bag drop and, when asked for my boarding pass, held out my wrist with the pass showing on the watch.   The check in attendant was completely unfazed.  "Thank you, Mr Muddle" she said without any hesitation, "that's fine".  Then she added "Oh, and you have been upgraded to Club World Business Class.  You may also use the lounge.  ".   ;D

Co-incidence of course.  Without a doubt, co-incidence.  But you can bet your bottom dollar I'll try it again next time.  And yes, I felt smug.   :D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Apple users, a better class?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 07:48:20 PM »

No coincidence at all. It's well known the world over, that Apple-users are regarded as first class citizens wherever we go. MS-users can usually be found with the hold luggage. ;) :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Apple users, a better class?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 08:44:19 PM »

You may be right, BS.  Thinking back, I had an internal flight in the US, no upgrade.   And no upgrade on the flight home either.     But neither of these airports had facilities to use the watch for check-in.  So analysing these statistics...

Checkin using Apple Watch, 100% flights sampled instantly offered upgrade to Business.
Checkin without Apple Watch, 0% offered upgrade.

I guess that's pretty convincing then?  ::)

BTW, watch-related or not, I could get used to the lounge at Heathrow.  Comfy seats and a help-yourself bar, with a decent range of single malts... Not a bad place to kill time before a flight.  Oops, spot the pun. :blush:

anything