Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Perfect VDSL but no WAN IP address and no DNS servers  (Read 1871 times)

dflack

• Just arrived
Perfect VDSL but no WAN IP address and no DNS servers
« on: April 15, 2016, 04:50:23 PM »

Hi I'm hoping tha someone on this forum can give. Me some advice on the above forum. Twelve days ago my internet cut out and since then I have been locked in an endless battle with so called network managers to try to get it restored. They have now sent two Openreach engineers to my house who tested the line and VDSL connection back to the street fibre cabinet. The last engineer as a precaution changed the connection node in the cabinet. Both of these engineers said that the VDSL sync was perfect and that the line to the cabinet was OK. However the talktalk router, my own Billion Bipac 8800AXL and the engineers router all gave the same results. VDSL stable at 77mbs, No WAN IP address, no
Primary or secondary DNS

TalkTalk seem to be unable to connect me to the Internet and insist that I need a new router before they can once again send out Openreach to tell me the same story as before. I keep telling them that the problem is in their severs software authentication of the connection, can anyone offer some advice on this, have you come across this before?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Perfect VDSL but no WAN IP address and no DNS servers
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 09:08:46 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.

Yes, I have heard of that scenario but not specifically with TalkTalk. As you appreciate, establishing an Internet broadband service is a multi-stage process. It appears that the Openreach technicians who have been tasked to attend to your problem have identified that is not in their domain of the physical infrastructure. From the evidence presented, it does appear to be centred on failure to establish a connection to the bRAS.

As is the normal reaction, from basic CPs/ISPs, any problem must be down to somebody else's equipment. A problem is reported to a basic CP/ISP and they, in turn, will insist that the problem is with and of the end-user's making. After a lot of script-reading, by the basic CP/ISP, and hoop jumping, by the end-user, the basic CP/ISP then decides that the problem is within Openreach's domain.

There does not seem to be any easy way of surmounting the barrier installed by TalkTalk. Quite simply, it might be best to go along with their scripted nonsense and let them send you another modem/router. The only other possible way would be to insist that they allow you to terminate the contract with them, at no cost to yourself, as they are unable to provide the service for which you are paying.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.