Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Williams Line RE: BT Infinity 1 increasing to 55mbps  (Read 20703 times)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: Williams Line RE: BT Infinity 1 increasing to 55mbps
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 09:18:15 AM »

I've managed to get the upgrade but surely the reset has to be done by an engineer?

DLM is reset as an integral part of reprofiling the line to a new package. It all happens in the central operational system, no engineer involved.

When an engineer fixes your line, the DLM reset he asks for is triggered in the same operational systems. In that case, it is keyed in by operational staff, who have to be phoned by the engineer, who presumably has to give a job number.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2016, 09:24:29 AM »

DLM is reset as an integral part of reprofiling the line to a new package. It all happens in the central operational system, no engineer involved.

When an engineer fixes your line, the DLM reset he asks for is triggered in the same operational systems. In that case, it is keyed in by operational staff, who have to be phoned by the engineer, who presumably has to give a job number.

Sounds good, ooo to be on that old line state again! This time, I probably will only reboot the router once to reset the line counters after resync, then I'll probably start uploading to MDWS again! :D

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2016, 10:36:27 AM »

Sounds good, ooo to be on that old line state again! This time, I probably will only reboot the router once to reset the line counters after resync, then I'll probably start uploading to MDWS again! :D

Given your history probably better not to resync for at least 4/5 days after you have been regarded - certainly not just to reset the line counters.

OTOH it would be nice if you could start uploading to MDWS now so it captures the regrade and we might learn more about the impact/change on of the speed increase on the line..

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2016, 11:03:35 AM »

Ok, thanks for the advice. I will do as you say and not even touch the Billion BiPAC 8800NL! I can start uploading now if you wish. :)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2016, 11:24:55 AM »

We're back on MDWS! ID is WGrimsley!

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2016, 01:22:37 PM »

Showing as down since 11:28
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Dave2150

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2016, 07:10:51 PM »

40000 Kbps before the banding, 33.1 Mbps download and SNR Margin is 10/6 with 0 ES on Downstream.

So just to confirm that's 10db downstream SNR and 6db upstream SNR?

Yes.

Right, well then I recommend you getting in touch with BT tomorrow using the Live Chat in the following link.... http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/53505

This link is whats been given to me by BT's Twitter team (@BTcare)... they seem to know a lot more than BT's tech support chat which as you probably would guess seems to be oversea's...

Ask them if they know what SNR is???

When they reply yes ask them if they know what a banded profile is, and go from there and just explain that your SNR is 10db and the connection syncing correctly at 6db will boost your speed back to its previous...

If it comes to it ir it actually was the case, tell them that you had a fault with the router that cause DLM issues and that you would like them to request a line reset from BT Wholesale or Openreach...

Hopefully this works out for you, I seem to be getting more sense out of them at the moment, but then my many tweets to them over the past 3-4 months are not what they would consider good for their public profile and customer service portal.

I decided to give this a go. Surprising enough, it worked! I now have an engineer booked to "check my cabinet" on Tuesday the 19th. I presume the person I spoke to realized that an engineer needs to come to give the go ahead to reset the DLM to remove the banding from my line. Many thanks for the information  :cool:

Brief background on my connection/issue: I had Sky FTTC for around 2 years, sync'd at 33-34mbit with the usual 6DB SNR, completely stable though heavily interleaved. I moved to BT Infinity option 1 and it decided to apply banding to my connection, restricting my sync to 27400Kbps. Weeks have gone by and no sign of the banding being removed. G.INP was applied to my line recently, which pumped up my max attainable rate to 38mbit. SNR while banded is 10-11DB.

I've attached a screenshot of the live chat, for anyone interested (edited out personal information and the Surname of the agent I spoke with)

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2016, 07:23:38 PM »

I decided to give this a go. Surprising enough, it worked! I now have an engineer booked to "check my cabinet" on Tuesday the 19th. I presume the person I spoke to realized that an engineer needs to come to give the go ahead to reset the DLM to remove the banding from my line. Many thanks for the information  :cool:

Brief background on my connection/issue: I had Sky FTTC for around 2 years, sync'd at 33-34mbit with the usual 6DB SNR, completely stable though heavily interleaved. I moved to BT Infinity option 1 and it decided to apply banding to my connection, restricting my sync to 27400Kbps. Weeks have gone by and no sign of the banding being removed. G.INP was applied to my line recently, which pumped up my max attainable rate to 38mbit. SNR while banded is 10-11DB.

I've attached a screenshot of the live chat, for anyone interested (edited out personal information and the Surname of the agent I spoke with)

Oh, I should of done this weeks ago, ah well not long now until it's removed! :D

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2016, 04:53:18 AM »

40000 Kbps before the banding, 33.1 Mbps download and SNR Margin is 10/6 with 0 ES on Downstream.

Yes.

Right, well then I recommend you getting in touch with BT tomorrow using the Live Chat in the following link.... http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/53505

This link is whats been given to me by BT's Twitter team (@BTcare)... they seem to know a lot more than BT's tech support chat which as you probably would guess seems to be oversea's...

When they reply yes ask them if they know what a banded profile is, and go from there and just explain that your SNR is 10db and the connection syncing correctly at 6db will boost your speed back to its previous...

If it comes to it ir it actually was the case, tell them that you had a fault with the router that cause DLM issues and that you would like them to request a line reset from BT Wholesale or Openreach...

Hopefully this works out for you, I seem to be getting more sense out of them at the moment, but then my many tweets to them over the past 3-4 months are not what they would consider good for their public profile and customer service portal.

I'm glad my advice helped or atleast inpsired you to battle BT... hopefully your issues are resolved :) hopefully my guy/gal sorts or locates my issues on Monday...

Keep us in the loop bud :)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2016, 08:42:32 PM »

We're back on MDWS! ID is WGrimsley!

Showing as down since 11:28

William - as Ronski states MDWS still shows your line down  - it would be good if you could be reporting by Wednesday night (before the resyncing)

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2016, 02:44:08 PM »

I'll try this. Just what I require!

Yes.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2016, 02:52:58 PM »

Good man!

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2016, 03:01:33 PM »

Good man!

Maybe you can try too?

What's your MDWS link?

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2016, 03:02:54 PM »

Good man!

Maybe you can try too?

Nope, because my line gets reset tomorrow remember. :D

digitalnemesis

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2016, 03:03:25 PM »

Good man!

Maybe you can try too?

Nope, because my line gets reset tomorrow remember. :D

Let us know please before and after stats.

What's your MDWS link?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8