Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: 3dB Target SNRm Live?  (Read 77065 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: 3dB Target SNRm Live?
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2016, 06:51:16 PM »

Unfortunately the IP profile and Sync rate don't match still on the 92.3% instead of 96.8% so with a sync rate of 39999Kbps the throughput should be 38720Kbps but all I am getting is 36950Kbps a loss of 1770Kbps somewhere.

Still it's way better than the IP Profile of 28.4 that I used to get before G.INP was rolled out and when I first got VDSL2 installed the open profile sync was 32000Kbps for 2 days and I am exactly 1000 meters from the cabinet that is good going for the old pots cable which was not designed to take these higher frequency we use on FTTC.

Dave2150

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2016, 07:48:10 PM »

I am exactly 1000 meters from the cabinet that is good going for the old pots cable which was not designed to take these higher frequency we use on FTTC.

VDSL2 was designed for use on the POTS cable. 99.9% of all new houses in the UK have had POTS cable installed, and still do today. It's good for BT that they've been able to keep this decrepit infrastructure relevant, though not so good for us, the end users.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2016, 08:05:53 PM »

Chrysalis we've always had a multi tiered service based on how far away the cabinet is and how good your line is  :P

Why should no g.inp annoy you, looking at your stats your on fast path and you have a 72/20 sync, fancy a swap with myself, BE1 or Weaver?

It annoys me as its technology progression and that it is a prerequisite for the 3db profile (which in turn improves burst speed).

I do also get occasional SES. So the errors are not completely not service affecting.

Finally I also dont just think about myself, there will be people stuck on interleaving because of this.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2016, 08:10:48 PM »

BT rolling this out is going to annoy peeps like me, as they cant even get g.inp right on my line yet.  Which is a requirement for this 3db profile.

So we now have a 3 tier service, dependent on cabinet lottery?

1 - no g.inp 6db
2 - g.inp 6db
3 - g.inp 3db

Chrys they are not rolling it out.   Its a trial.   A test on some lines.   Some lines will get it and some wont.
So how is a 3dB trial annoying you?
I know for a fact that I will not be part of the trial, so no point me holding my breath..  and its nothing to do with the fact that Im on an ECI cab.

True its not a full rollout, its a small rollout for the trial.  My post more meant "if" this proceeds to a full rollout whilst ECI cabinets are not fully g.inp activated I will be annoyed.

So the trial itself in its present state doesnt annoy me.

So now this is cleared up, will you please share with all us peons all the 3db trial information you have :)

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2016, 08:19:04 PM »

Nice clarification Chrysalis. I think we all appreciate the Kitz forum as the only place you can get good, reliable technical information.

PS. There is nothing worse than not knowing what someone else knows... and have told you they know! Pretty please Kitz  ;)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2016, 08:44:57 PM »

It will certainly benefit some more than others, and it should give me a bit more of a speed boost, although it's my upload that really suffering. I wonder why they don't make it the target SNRm variable so each line can adjust to it's optimum, perhaps that's just too complex?

PS Kitz, please share  :fingers:
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2016, 01:07:57 AM »

PS Kitz, please share

There will no doubt be some who will complain and who will think its their right to then go demand that their ISP to be put on the trial.. and all that will happen is some script monkey will know nothing about it.

Its the ISP who ultimately decides if their customers partake in the trial.  I don't know the criteria other than its ISP related and which (if any) of those customers will go on the trial.

Looking at you William - No matter how hard you pester your ISP, they will not put you on the trial just because you ask them, so there is absolutely no point moaning if you are selected or not.   Its possibly already been decided and nothing you can do is going to change it.

---
Its not unknown for BT to ask ISPs such things. 
They did this with maxdsl - "Do you want to partake in the trial -  can we have 'x' no of customers from you."

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2016, 01:18:08 AM »

I already knew the above, and thats the only reason why Im sharing now.

However, this is the last time I go looking for or asking for more info.. because every single time I do, then all I get is grief and false accusations about BT.   

Its happened with DLM, my suspicions about the MSILs & PN, G.INP Mk1, G.INP Mk2,  G.INP 2016, 3dB.
It should have been abundantly clear that Im sick of having to justify I do what I did for the sake of getting more info.
The hints were there that I was sick of hassle when all I was doing was trying to help.
Its just not worth it and takes up far too much time and all I get for my efforts is stupid accusations.

---
ETA
Those that wondered what the above is about, obviously didn't see some of the comments the other day as to why I went off on one and why I am so fed up.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 06:08:15 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2016, 01:20:02 AM »

I agree there is no right to demand to be put on a trial and so forth.

I think the issue that has got to some people, is that CP's are not communicating with their customers, so the issue not with openreach but with the CP's. not communicating with their customers, this sort of information at the very least has to be passed onto those selected end users in the trial. 

This 3db trial is a good thing going forward and will surely up most people's speeds without a downside (g.inp managing most of the risks).

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2016, 08:19:52 AM »

Looking at you William - No matter how hard you pester your ISP, they will not put you on the trial just because you ask them, so there is absolutely no point moaning if you are selected or not.   Its possibly already been decided and nothing you can do is going to change it.

Sorry, but if you mean me, where did I state I would moan if I wasn't on the trial, I understand it would be very unlikely and why would I contact BT?

spudgun

• Reg Member
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2016, 10:17:27 AM »

I will be watching the trail with some interest as it may have the potential to squeeze even more speed out of ageing copper.

However, does this not have the potential to make crosstalk worse for those that are already affected? With more data squeezed down the lines using previously ignored frequencies, as they were below the margin set for a 6db margin, doesn't this mean that it will impact upon other users on the same cabinet? For me this means that either GNP will have to work harder (or add more depth to compensate for errors) or this will just end up being a zero sum game where once everyone has it on a cabinet that there will be more crosstalk and the end result will not be significantly different from what we have now. This may also have implications for those connected to a cabinet who are much further from that cabinet. Those users closer to a cabinet will see more benefit, but again, this will create more crosstalk and be a bigger problem for those who are further away.

With this in mind, I'm surprised that the trial seems to be with individual users and not individual cabinets as this has effectively ruled out a consideration of the above problem.

I'd also have some doubts about the ability of the current backhaul in many areas to cover the increase in available bandwidth that is now available to consumers, especially at peak times, but that is another issue.

Interesting times, and it is always good for a healthy and informed debate here on Kitz, so please feel free to correct any assumptions that I have made which are wide of the mark :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 10:50:13 AM by spudgun »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2016, 12:30:43 PM »

Seem to have had this happen on morning of 15th.

No mass of graphs as I'm only running by BQM and a rare speed test.

Throughput gone from 63Mb/s to a touch over 67Mb/s.

This is on a Huawei 288, one of a pair, approximately 500 enabled FTTC lines between them at about 500m of cable from cabinet

pooclah

• Reg Member
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2016, 05:35:45 PM »

Its the ISP who ultimately decides if their customers partake in the trial.  I don't know the criteria other than its ISP related and which (if any) of those customers will go on the trial.

<quote snipped a bit>

Thanks for the info.

As probably yourself and others here, I remember when ISP’s were smaller and asked for volunteers to trial new products.

The last trial I took part in was when UKOnline were trailing ADSL2.  IIRC it took 3 profile changes before I could keep synch at the heady speed of 15Mb/s -  and I was subject to a NDA.

Also I’m pretty sure I was paying more for broadband then than I am now.  How times change.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2016, 05:37:19 PM »

<quote snipped a bit>

Thanks for the info.

As probably yourself and others here, I remember when ISP’s were smaller and asked for volunteers to trial new products.

The last trial I took part in was when UKOnline were trailing ADSL2.  IIRC it took 3 profile changes before I could keep synch at the heady speed of 15Mb/s -  and I was subject to a NDA.

Also I’m pretty sure I was paying more for broadband then than I am now.  How times change.

Yes, we pay at least £20 less a month for 37 Mbps more speed...

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2016, 06:31:39 PM »

Seem to have had this happen on morning of 15th.

No mass of graphs as I'm only running by BQM and a rare speed test.

Throughput gone from 63Mb/s to a touch over 67Mb/s.

This is on a Huawei 288, one of a pair, approximately 500 enabled FTTC lines between them at about 500m of cable from cabinet

I would have expected a bigger jump in speed, seems a bit disappointing.

You are on a 3db snrm now?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

anything