Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: BT Infinity 1 increasing from 38 to 55mbps  (Read 36149 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: BT Infinity 1 increasing from 38 to 55mbps
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 10:17:00 PM »

The graphs shows me to be one of the 88% in the UK that can get 35Mbps those percentages will drop the higher your sync rate is.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 10:19:00 PM »

The product is 55/10, which should mean migration and a DLM reset.

It is highly unlikely that existing accounts will be put on the service tomorrow.   Accounts will need to be upgraded for which there will be a modify fee, which is normally £10.   However I note that from next month Openreach are running some special offers for bulk modify orders

That's confusing? Because why would there be a fee if the service goes from 40 Mbps to 52 Mbps and the 40 Mbps gets removed completely? Surely, it would just be the same package with a faster speed and yes no more banding! :D

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 10:24:10 PM »

40Mb isn't being removed. Openreach can't and don't do free upgrades like Virgin Media do.

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 10:25:51 PM »

Likely it will be a re-sub for another 12 months to get the new 'deal' of 55/10. Much like when you add TV packages etc. or make any other change.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 10:26:25 PM »

The graphs shows me to be one of the 88% in the UK that can get 35Mbps those percentages will drop the higher your sync rate is.

Hmm. DOCSIS is not distance limited. You either sync at the full speed either your modem or the node is capable of, whichever is lower, or you have a fault.

With that pretty basic errata I'm suspicious of the rest of the graph.

EDIT: Ah I see. DOCSIS shouldn't be on that graph. The graph relates to the tiers people are subscribed to, not limitations of the technology. Every area on the VM network offers 152Mb delivered on a 400Mb sync rate. Much of the network delivers sync rates of 600Mb or 800Mb, if you've the latest modem, with 300Mb available.

500Mb is perfectly feasible with the VM Superhub 3 and the hardware they have installed, just need to add capacity.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:29:53 PM by Ignitionnet »

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 10:28:16 PM »

40Mb isn't being removed. Openreach can't and don't do free upgrades like Virgin Media do.

"BT Infinity 1 increasing from 38 to 55 Mbps", where's the 38 Mbps still present? Ah well, I'll just get the new contract, we're up for renewal anyway. So, if they're not going to upgrade everyone then how's it going to work? They can't just keep going to the cabinet every day changing everyone's package? It's got to be automatic surely?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:31:25 PM by William Grimsley »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 10:35:03 PM »

"BT Infinity 1 increasing from 38 to 55 Mbps", where's the 38 Mbps still present? Ah well, I'll just get the new contract, we're up for renewal anyway.

BT Retail offer Infinity, and for this they pay BT Wholesale to resell a product. BT Wholesale in turn pay Openreach. Neither Openreach or Wholesale are stopping selling the 40Mb product, so BT Retail will have to pay Wholesale to have customers moved. It's not as simple as everyone waking up tomorrow on 52Mb.

They have to pay to have you all moved and it'll take time.

I don't see anything to indicate what they plan to do with existing users in that initial thread. They may not move you at all in the very short term.

EDIT: Incidentally your service speed is not provisioned by a guy with a laptop at the cabinet, that would be crazy. It is not an automated process, someone will have to write the appropriate scripts.

The people who actually control the equipment are not upgrading you. BT Retail have to send orders to their suppliers requesting you are all moved. In that respect it's no different from someone asking for an upgrade from 38 to 76, just if they decide to uplift existing customers they'll be doing a whole bunch of those requests.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:37:46 PM by Ignitionnet »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 10:37:54 PM »

I had a free upgrade from 40 to 80 Mbps in 2011.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 10:38:08 PM »

Yes, I know that! It's still all speculation at the moment!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 10:38:33 PM »

The product is 55/10, which should mean migration and a DLM reset.

It is highly unlikely that existing accounts will be put on the service tomorrow.   Accounts will need to be upgraded for which there will be a modify fee, which is normally £10.   However I note that from next month Openreach are running some special offers for bulk modify orders

That's confusing? Because why would there be a fee if the service goes from 40 Mbps to 52 Mbps and the 40 Mbps gets removed completely? Surely, it would just be the same package with a faster speed and yes no more banding! :D

I expect be handled like this.

55/10 to replace 40/10 for new customers.

existing customers stay as they are but they can ring for upgrade, and given if agree to new contract.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 10:39:00 PM »

The graph shows that 80% of the population is currently getting 40Mbps of sync speed.
It straight line drops because many of them could get more than 40 Mbps, but they are restricted to 40Mbps only because they are on the 40Mbps product.

The graph also shows that 13% of the population are on the 80Mbps product and syncing at the full 80Mbps.

If 13% are currently syncing at 80Mbps, it cant possibly mean that 88% can only get 35Mbps.
Wombat and I were trying to calculate where the middle ground of that straight line would lie, and we both concluded it was around 55Mbps

The way I interpret that is that 80% can get least 40Mbps.   33% take up the 80 Mbps product..  so therefore there's potential for 46% to get more out of their connection. 
Have I worked that out right?   Obviously we don't know the figure for how much more they could get.

That's what I make it too. The proportions will likely change, as BDUK targets more rural areas, with longer D-sides. Probably not a huge change.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 10:43:36 PM »

To be fair I said that Openreach don't do free upgrades. Your provider ordered the upgrade from them and you were regraded.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2016, 10:45:33 PM »

I would assume that the upgrade is free other than the normal £10 upgrade charge by BT but surely if Infinity 1 is still going to be "up to 52 Mbps" instead of "up to 38 Mbps" then surely no one gets "up to 38 Mbps" anymore?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2016, 10:48:19 PM »

BTretail/consumer will still have had to pay Openreach for the upgrade. 
Openreach still applies the modify fee regardless if you or the ISP pays it.   BTretail obviously decided to subsidise it in your case, but they will have had to pay Openreach to do the upgrade.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2016, 10:50:44 PM »

The graph shows that 80% of the population is currently getting 40Mbps of sync speed.
It straight line drops because many of them could get more than 40 Mbps, but they are restricted to 40Mbps only because they are on the 40Mbps product.

I thought you might say that, but just take a look at my pbParams band plans and you will see no way could I make use of the 55/10 service  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10