Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL Only Stable With Phone Off Hook?  (Read 3047 times)

Eric

• Just arrived
ADSL Only Stable With Phone Off Hook?
« on: April 11, 2016, 04:45:10 PM »

Recently my DSL connection has begone to experience frequent disconnects (sometimes as much as twenty disconnects in a forty-five minute period) and when connection is present, I am often only able to obtain 192 kbps upstream, and 64 kbps downstream. Also, Before my troubles began, I was frequently getting 900 kbps upstream, and 3071 downstream. 

My DSL plan calls for up to 3 Mbps downstream, and my Internet service provider considers anything less than 60% of 3 Mbps downstream to be a problem, and clearly I am well below that threshold most of the time now. 

I've called my service provider numerous times in an attempt to get this problem resolved, but it appears that their technicians lack the expertise to adequately diagnose the problem themselves, or maybe they just don't care, I'm not sure.  One of the repair technicians has informed me that my secondary cables inside the communications cabinet need to be replaced, but after he supposedly replaced the cables, I did not observe any improvement whatsoever in the quality of my service. 

Since my Internet service provider's technicians appear to be unwilling/unable to fix my connectivity issues, I decided to document some of the info I found inside my modem, in hopes of pinpointing the problem. I should also add that I don't really have any training in the IT field, but I was hoping to be able to identify some sort of pattern that might indicate the problem.  (I have an entire spread sheet tracking changes over course of several days.)

04/08/2016, 20:30
Adsl Line Status                             SHOWTIME.L0
Attenuation Down Stream               28
Attenuation Up Stream                  19
SNR Margin Down Stream             10.4
SNR Margin Up Stream             5
CRC Errors                             3108
Up Stream BER                        0.0001138
Down Stream BER                0.0000148
Up Output Power                10
Down Output Power                     19.5
Down Stream ES                791
Up Stream ES                        709
Down Stream SES                72
Up Stream SES                        34
Down Stream UAS                651
Up Stream UAS                        0
Distance                                1550 M
Upstream Speed                476 kbps
Downstream Speed                     3071 kbps

I showed the above spread sheet to the repair technician, but he really did not make any comment when he saw the data, and he was unable to use it.  I was just about ready to give up and cancel my DSL service entirely, but then I stumbled across a very strange quirk. 

Yesterday my Internet connection was rock solid all afternoon, until a neighbour came over and told my wife that she'd been trying to telephone us all day, but our phone was constantly busy.  My wife picked up the phone and found that the receiver had not been properly placed on the hook, and a few minutes after she placed it back on the hook, my modem lost synch, and my intermittent disconnect problem and slow connection speeds immediately returned. 

I'm not sure how it is happening, but if I take the phone off the hook, then I get a very solid DSL connection, but within a minute of the handset being replaced on the cradle, then my Internet connection falls apart again.  Somehow having my phone off the hook appears to stabilize my DSL connection?  Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?  Also, simply unplugging the RJ11 connector from the phone doesn't seem to help, and the only way to make connection stable seems to be to remove phone from cradle.

BTW, I'm a retired expatriate living in the Philippines, and until March 17, 2016, my connection was relatively stable.  Also, my modem is a, Prolink H5004NK ADSL Wireless Modem.  Any advice greatly appreciated.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: ADSL Only Stable With Phone Off Hook?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 05:06:52 PM »

Short reply ...... assuming all is correct with the internal set-up (ie: filtering etc), then you probably have a 'High Resistance' (HR) fault ??

These manifest themselves in two guises .............. 1) As in your case .... and 2) The DSL drops out when the handset is in use.
These faults are miniscule by nature and all 'Remote testing' performed by ISP's will see the HR go undetected and threats of death to you and your family shortly follow.  ;)

You need a network/broadband engineer to visit to resolve this ......... if  (I refer you back to the start) your installation is up to par. I'm absolutely sure it will be as you've not had issue before ??  :)

PS ...... welcome to Kitz forums.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 05:11:52 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.

On reading thorough the details you have posted, I was attempting to formulate a possible cause for the effect . . . and then I read your last paragraph.

All I can suggest is that you check the filter, which would be present somewhere in the circuit, by substitution. 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Eric

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 04:24:08 AM »

Thanks for the great information, everyone. 

I've changed my DSL filter three times since the on set of my connection problems, (each time using a new filter) but I did not observe any noticeable change afterwards.  I suppose it is possible that all of the DSL filters might be defective, but I think that it is unlikely that each of the new Filters would produce exactly the same fault, if defective? Also, the original DSL filter had been in use for approximately three years before onset of trouble.  However, I agree that a faulty DSL filter cannot be ruled out at this point. 

Also, I noticed that my problems started about the same time that construction began on a new high-rise hotel near my house. I wonder if the construction crew could have repositioned the main trunk line, thus causing my connection issues?  But if that is the case, then shouldn't my nearby neighbours also be experiencing the same connection issues as me?  (They are not.)

I remember reading years ago that the telephone company sends a continuous 5v AC signal down the line while phone is on the hook, but the voltage climbs to 40v once the phone is picked up.  Is this true, and if so, could the higher off the hook line voltage be enough to cancel out any noise in my line that is causing my connection issues?

Any advice greatly appreciated. 

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 07:44:27 AM »

One theory is that the trickle of current heats the troubled joints and improves the connection. Someone has even suggested wiring a resistor across the wires to make the current flow permanently - 15k ohm I think. See http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=12349.5

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 08:30:44 AM »

One theory is that the trickle of current heats the troubled joints and improves the connection. Someone has even suggested wiring a resistor across the wires to make the current flow permanently - 15k ohm I think. See http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=12349.5

This idea is aimed at HR joints. It isn't heating just breaking down the oxide film.
You can prove the point (and temporarily fix the problem) by doing a Ring Back test. 

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 08:32:25 AM »

It isn't heating just breaking down the oxide film. 
How is the oxide film broken down if not by heating?

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 09:30:52 AM »

The same way as a 6v electrolytic dies if you put 12v across it !  Oxides  aren't conductors  so need over-voltage to disrupt.  With valve type voltages you could have quite a bang !

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 10:19:25 AM »

The same way as a 6v electrolytic dies if you put 12v across it !  Oxides  aren't conductors  so need over-voltage to disrupt.  With valve type voltages you could have quite a bang !
The dielectric heats up and boils causing the bang. As I said.

Eric

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 01:07:10 PM »

Thanks everyone. Looks like I better call a local witch doctor to help me fix this one.