Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach's 8 types of household  (Read 5621 times)

ejs

• Kitizen
Openreach's 8 types of household
« on: March 15, 2016, 06:45:12 PM »

Apparently I was bored enough to look at https://www.ciz-openreach.co.uk/Consumer/segmentation/18 in which Openreach have divided the consumer fixed line telecoms market into 8 segments.

It gives some vague figures for FTTC uptake, although it also says the survey was from September 2014 so it's probably somewhat out of date already.

HouseholdsSuperfast
Connected Champion13%41%
Engaged Aspirer11%36%
Engaged Complacent11%32%
Value Maximiser11%29%
Unconfident Dabbler15%25%
Tech Apathetic19%24%
Tech Follower14%21%
The Traditionalist6%8%

Multiplying the percentages then adding them up makes the overall percentage with superfast 27.7%

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Openreach's 8 types of household
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 09:23:55 PM »

What might they mean by "superfast"? A speed minimum, or "FTTC"?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 09:36:03 PM »

It doesn't say if it was using the old 30Mb or the newer 24Mb definition of superfast, it just says "FTTC or cable". Since it's mainly about what different kinds of people buy, it probably means they have any FTTC or cable connection, regardless of what speed it achieves.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 08:32:41 AM »

Those personal descriptors! Where did they come from; reports from all those Black Sheep completed work sheets?! ::)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 09:18:26 AM »

Those personal descriptors! Where did they come from; reports from all those Black Sheep completed work sheets?! ::)

Ha ha ........ there's quite a few more descriptions I'd like to have seen on there, but I suspect it's because they're unprintable being the reason behind their absence ???;) ;D ;D

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 10:34:35 AM »

Doesn't the "Superfast" percentage depend on what's available?   I mean you can be as engaged as you want, but if only low speed is available in your area then that's what you'll have.    Would be interesting for those hanging their hat on the whole Super Fast thing, to know what percentage of people have high speed available but choose low speed because they don't see the benefit it paying more.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 03:23:19 PM »

The current superfast coverage is supposed to be getting towards 90%. It would have been less in September 2014.

There isn't any more information about the survey data, so I don't know if it's 41% of those who had FTTC/P or cable available, or 41% of that entire segment.

There was also this statistic from the September 2015 BTW ISP forum slides, about a 15Mb (now going to be I think 18Mb) FTTC speed:
Around 2m lines get below 3Mb/s of which ~900k can get FTTC today

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 01:39:06 AM »

btw...  before I forget  I claim copyright on using descriptors for types of users.

:lol:

Note my sig over there

Dont forget the Geeks! - ™ kitz 2005

If anyone wonders what it was really all about - I was taking on Plusnet at the time about deterioration of service for some of the more techie services they used to provide... and of course the introduction of ellacoyas and traffic shaping.   The battle was done elsewhere, but I took that bit out to share. 

I dont think that a lot of people realised some of the really big battles I had with Plusnet on behalf of the EUs.  Im pretty sure certain that Lee Stafford hated me, because I was one of the very few people that would take him to task head on... and face to face.
Just had a giggle at one of those such occasions where he probably wished I hadn't been invited to one event.   Ooooh those were the days...  and before they got bought out by BT.       I had my wits about me back then and my memory was a lot sharper.   These days I seem to have so much going on I can hardly remember what day it is :(

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

BigBunny

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 04:03:51 PM »

Lee Stafford; now there was a man that knew nothing about customer relations.  Where we normally like MDs to be active on forums and social media he was one feller that should give it a wide birth.  (I often wondered if he thought that he had "Arrived" and so could do and say anything.)  I went to Plusnet about a year after they started and one of the things that attracted me was what they provided for techies and those that had their own domains.  I can recall in those early days one of their on-line customer support lasses saying that complaints, etc had to be in writing by post and that email and on-line channels was not an accepted means.  I assume that she did not previously have anything to do with IT.  I took her to task over it on-line.  They did have a large turnover of on-line staff.

I used to deal with Choice Peripherals that was an offshoot of Express Micros.  Plusnet was started by Express Micros just about the time that Insight purchased Express Micros for the Choice Peripheral business .  A guy that was involved with the first Plusnet endeavours, that was a single computer/server, went onto work for Insight and I had dealings with him for many years as a supplier.  He of course knew Lee Stafford at a personal level, and from all accounts thought he was a great guy, however he also knew my impression of Lee Stafford.  I would imagine putting the two together that he was a bit of a "Keyboard Warrior" which is no good in those company positions.  Plusnet do appear over the time to have had some odd staff, including directors, though it does appear to have settled down a bit since the BT take over and the Lee Stafford demise.  However information does not appear to be as forthcoming as it was at one time.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 05:07:01 PM »

I think that maybe the bandwidth/usage comparisons may be different nowadays as the Internet becomes more of a "normal" resource.  Just informally from speaking to people I get the impression that the big usage consumptions nowadays come from the various video and film services, and the heaviest users of these aren't necessarily the most technically aware or interested.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 11:57:19 PM »

I think that maybe the bandwidth/usage comparisons may be different nowadays as the Internet becomes more of a "normal" resource.

Agreed.    That was 2005 after BTw first introduced CBC charging... the average cost to the ISP was 73p per GB and why at that time the vast majority of ISPs had some form of traffic shaping or caps.

iirc there was only BE* at that time, who offered truly unlimited broadband.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 12:52:29 PM »

I think that maybe the bandwidth/usage comparisons may be different nowadays as the Internet becomes more of a "normal" resource.

Agreed.    That was 2005 after BTw first introduced CBC charging... the average cost to the ISP was 73p per GB and why at that time the vast majority of ISPs had some form of traffic shaping or caps.

iirc there was only BE* at that time, who offered truly unlimited broadband.

Bulldog and UKOnline/Easynet were also doing their thing at that time.

anything