Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Iphone 5 battery issues  (Read 8174 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Iphone 5 battery issues
« on: December 24, 2016, 04:05:09 PM »

Hi,

The phone started losing battery life a while ago, the battery would run flat within a day just on standby, and would also go from say 60% down to nothing quite suddenly.  I've tried a third-party replacement battery and it's not much better.  Has anyone had good experience with replacement parts?  I'm not sure if it was just a poor quality battery that I tried, or whether there's something else wrong.  Not my phone, but I'll be the one paying for a new one if I don't get it fixed, and I've just seen the price of the Iphone 7.

Tony S

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: Iphone 5 battery issues
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 05:58:45 PM »

Suggest if you could put a milliameter in series with the battery and see if there is a drain when the device is nominally switched off, or excessive on standby,  that would show if there is a problem with the device.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 06:22:27 PM »

Hi

I could be wrong but that sounds like one of the bugs in recent iOS

If you are not running iOS 10.2, suggest you try upgrade and see how it works

The battery bug only affected some and not all

Many thanks

John

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 08:33:06 AM »

It could be the charging cable, its worth trying a new genuine one, or at least test the charging cable on another identical phone.

I had a similar problem  with my tablet, and that turned out to be the charging cable, and I'm sure Weaver recently posted he had the same problem with his IPad and it was the cable. They become damaged and can't carry enough current.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 11:30:32 AM »

Second that, best to use genuine Apple lightning cables.   I have purchased several non-original cables over the years and whilst they generally work for data transfer, the only ones that charge reliably are the genuine items.

Orher suggestions are to remove all third party Apps incase one is doing some power hungry activity in background.   If that improves things, reinstall them bit by bit and see if a culprit can be identified.

Many other things you can try to improve battery life, just use google, but if you followed every suggestion out there you'd end up disabling all the things that make iPhones useful.  :(

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 01:43:46 PM »

I had exactly this problem with several iPads. The cure (see earlier thread) was to get rid of all non-genuine-Apple charger cables.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 04:42:05 PM »

Thanks, will try what you suggest regarding charging cables.  We must have a genuine one somewhere, in fact I think the one that came with her Ipad mini is the same connector and that's certainly genuine.  The regularly used cradle is third party.  I don't think it's apps as I have much more junk on my phone (4S) and the battery lasts for ages.  She's lucky to get a day.