Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Huawei HG612 3B - can't access GUI  (Read 8584 times)

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Huawei HG612 3B - can't access GUI
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 07:09:20 AM »

A VNC server can also be started on a headless server, it does not require an X server to run, the VNC server is an X server. You could then tunnel the port over the SSH connection to access the VNC server with a VNC client running on your desktop.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 07:21:24 AM »

That's true, but you need to keep the VNC connection open to maintain the X server for running DSLstats, which means that you have to have another PC running 24/7.
  Eric

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 08:26:23 AM »

No you don't. You just leave the vncserver process running. You can then connect to it from a vnc client from any computer, when you disconnect the vnc client, the vnc server remains running, whatever programs are running within the vnc server stay running. I'm talking about starting the vnc server by running the vncserver command. It stays running regardless of whether or not any vnc client is connected to it.

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 08:28:58 AM »

On the server in question installing vnx4server, or vino, is asking to install the best part of 20 to 49 X-server related packages and dependencies.

Given that hg612 modem stats will not run properly on the VM, I will try DSLstats on it if only for a limited period of time.
Regards,
Mick

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 08:34:02 AM »

You're installing the wrong thing. You don't want a vnc server module to load into an existing X server. You want something like the tigervnc-server package (on Fedora). You'll still need all the necessary libraries to run a GUI application of course (unless some of them are statically linked into the DSLstats program itself).

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 08:37:09 AM »

Meanwhile, I ran a VM with MSWindows to test the hg612 modem stats, but the 'Connection Stats' page isn't showing anything yet.  I may have to wait for a while - I just set the 'Snapshot Settings' interval to 1 hour.

If hg612 stats is running correctly then it should populate the connection stats after a couple of minutes. For it to do this you have to setup a scheduled task which can be done within the GUI. You also need to make sure the modem ip address is set correctly.

Depending on what version of windows you are using it may block some programs from running, and you may need to run them directly and ok them. Namely HG612_STATS.EXE,  Hg612_run.exe and hg612 current stats.exe.

Also if you have anti virus installed that may block them.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2016, 10:13:04 AM »

Hmm ... I restarted the PC this morning and was able to run 'Run GraphPD' without errors.  I'm not sure what the problem was yesterday.

The Connection Stats and pbParams is now populated, although not fully yet.  I guess this is not being refreshed in real time?

Graphs are also being produced too.  :)
Regards,
Mick

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2016, 02:03:23 PM »

Result!   :)

I managed to get further with DSLstats (a big Thank You to all devs and contributors for both applications).  As is typical over most weekends a blip occurred, the modem resync'ed and everything was captured on the graphs.  The HG612 3B appears to be marginally more sensitive than the 2WIRE, but when the errors go off scale the 2WIRE drops the line just as effectively.   :P

This is a regular problem ever since I migrated over to ADSL2+.  Resyncs happen typically midday at the weekends and occasionally around 17:00-18:00 in the evenings any other day.  There is no repeatable pattern to the line dropping, which makes me think this is not because some device is operated by a timer.  Sometimes the modem can go for a week or more without a resync, but more often than not it will lose the signal every 3-5 days, especially if I have sync'ed above 10Mbps.  I attach some of the graphs in case you can explain the cause of these errors.

Please let me know if you would like to see more/all of them.
Regards,
Mick

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2016, 02:21:29 PM »

I recommend you sign up to Mydslwebstats now that you have DslStats running. Just pop your MDWS details in to DslStats and it all uploads automatically. Then if you need any assistance the experts on here (not me) can view all the info they need. It saves you from having to upload lots of static images of graphs, just give your MDWS username!
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2016, 07:03:54 PM »

Hmm ... I restarted the PC this morning and was able to run 'Run GraphPD' without errors.  I'm not sure what the problem was yesterday.

The Connection Stats and pbParams is now populated, although not fully yet.  I guess this is not being refreshed in real time?

Graphs are also being produced too.  :)

I'm pretty sure that as you're on adsl not all the pbParams will be populated, bear in mind it's more geared towards FTTC.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2016, 08:16:59 PM »

Thanks Ronski, I seem to be getting more information from DSLstats at the moment.  The FTTC cabinet is close to 1Km away from my house and costs more, so I stayed with the free upgrade to ADSL2+ for now.  The symptoms of dropping the line early evening are reflected in the graphs.  Outside those two periods the noise on the line usually goes away and the connection is pretty stable.  This can been seen in the attached graphs which show the early evening wobble, as well as an earlier resync.

Is this due to REIN?  The house was quiet at the time and these events do not align with electrical domestic activities, so I'm assuming some exogenous cause is at play ...
Regards,
Mick

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2016, 08:38:00 PM »

That SNMR graph is a worry, the other 2 graphs not so much.

FEC errors are not important and can run into millions/hour, your lines CRC's are at not a particularly high level; keep recording and posting those stats and the experts on here will offer more info/diagnosis.

Ian

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2016, 09:36:55 PM »

Another question about this modem and firmware:

I am able to login using nc (netcat) on Linux, but I can't login using telnet either on Linux (busybox), or on Apple Mac.  What happens is that the session hangs when I enter the password.  I cannot escape it, or quit.

With nc I get some funny characters in the terminal at login, but I can at least login and run commands:
Code: [Select]
$ nc -t 192.168.1.254 23
ÿûÿûÿû
Welcome Visiting Huawei  Home Gateway
Copyright by Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
Login:ÿüÿüadmin
admin
Password:admin

ATP>sh
sh

BusyBox v1.9.1 (2014-01-21 16:44:38 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

Is this a known problem and what is the fix?
Regards,
Mick
Pages: 1 [2]