Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Plusnet's new Community Forum  (Read 12399 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Plusnet's new Community Forum
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2016, 12:37:46 AM »

The BT mail from Lithium has just arrived after a 5 hour delay

BST time should actually be: Sent at 19:23. Received at 00:20

Envelope-to: MONGEDTHIS.co.uk
Delivery-date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 00:20:06 +0100
Received: from smtp2.lithium.com ([46.19.168.11]:52289)
        by kitz.servers.eqx.misp.co.uk with esmtp (Exim 4.86_1)
        (envelope-from <forum.moderation.team@community.bt.com>)
        id 1ap2Ad-00030X-Nn
        for MONGED.co.uk; Sun, 10 Apr 2016 00:20:06 +0100
Received: from ams1papp20.am.lithium.com (am-lb-VIP-VLAN90.am.lithium.com [10.50.90.6])
        by smtp2.lithium.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 7C6E13B0530
        for <MONGED.co.uk>; Sat,  9 Apr 2016 20:23:03 +0200 (CEST)
X-DomainKeys: Sendmail DomainKeys Filter v1.0.2 smtp2.lithium.com 7C6E13B0530
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2016 20:23:02 +0200 (CEST)
From: BTCare Community Forums <forum.moderation.team@community.bt.com>
To: MONGED.co.uk
Message-ID: <1633735470.4767.1460226183510.JavaMail.lithium@ams1papp20.am.lithium.com>
Subject: Email Address Verification
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
        boundary="----=_Part_4766_1506288321.1460226183507"
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.9
X-Spam-Score: -18
X-Spam-Bar: -
X-Ham-Report: Spam detection software, running on the system "kitz.servers.eqx.misp.co.uk",
 has NOT identified this incoming email as spam.  The original
 message has been attached to this so you can view it or label
 similar future email.  If you have any questions, see
 root\@localhost for details.

Content preview:  Hello kitz, We have received a request to change your email
    address on BTCare Community Forums.

Content analysis details:   (-1.9 points, 5.0 required)

pts rule name              description
 ---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
 -0.0 RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_H2      RBL: Average reputation (+2)
                             [46.19.168.11 listed in wl.mailspike.net]
 -1.9 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 0 to 1%
                             [score: 0.0000]
  0.0 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: HTML included in message
X-Spam-Flag: NO
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2016, 12:54:17 AM »

in the ticket ask them to search logs for smtp2.lithium.com

I think its greylisting the culprit here.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2016, 01:41:23 AM »

I didnt give my ticket an urgent or high importance ranking, so Im not expecting any response until tomorrow.   
Ive already added to the ticket showing headers of where it should come from, so hopefully they should be able to suss the details.

One of the 5 PM's I sent myself from kitz2 has just got a notification which has an 8 hr delay.  Ive PM'd the full headers to Bob over on the community forum.

The other 4 notifications seem to have got lost, as are about a dozen missing reset passwords to get into my proper account.   Ive just done another reset but nothing from that either.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2016, 09:12:41 AM »

Just got in with a password reset without problems (my mail goes to tesco.net then relayed to Google Apps).   As you say the new forum is horrible, but that was always going to be the case as their aims were to change the appearance for it's own sake, and to move to Lithium for reasons of dogma rather than any other reason.  I don't think anyone ever said the new forum was going to be better in any real way.

Academic for me since I'll be fully shot of Plusnet by the end of this week, unless they try to mess me around on billing - there have been reports of them closing peoples logins when they do that, so there's no way to dispute the bill except via the forum.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2016, 01:03:02 PM »

The problem really with plusnet (and many other isp's), is they I suspect had noone internally employed to manage the forum, hence the long standing issues that didnt get fixed, then a decision eventually got made to work on the forum, but via outsourcing, and lithium tends to be a go to place for outsourced forum management.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2016, 07:54:11 PM »

hence the long standing issues that didn't get fixed,

It was well overdue an update as it was still running SMF1.   I've been on SMF2 for 5 years, and I delayed that a little because of time to transfer over and design a new scheme.

Believe me I can well understand that a lot of the corporates now want to outsource and leave the work to someone else.   I think one of the things that shocks me most though is that both PN and BT are running lithium.   One looks professional, the other with all the images...  looks more like something someone knocked up using a WP template.   Far too many images and whitespace  :-X
-----

Jaggies

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2016, 11:04:22 PM »

@Jaggies, who do you use for mail?

My domain is hosted by Vision Internet http://visn.co.uk

I eventually got an email on Sunday morning with the reset password link, but as I was out most of the day on Sunday I just get errors when trying to reset it. I have registered another account and got the activation email several hours later. It worked when I clicked the link just now.

Meantime, I've requested another password reset on my original account, and will see if that comes through any quicker (it took 3 days for the first one to arrive...)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 11:15:07 PM by Jaggies »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2016, 04:09:06 PM »

Should update this.  My problem has been sorted.

Chrys probably explain it better than me as I know nothing much about configuring mail servers, but it would appear the lithium server is configured in a way so that they are not doing themselves any favours when it comes to those hosts which use greylisting.

There are several checks that CPanel (used by a lot of hosting companies) does to check that the sending mail server is who they say they are and the lithium server does none of them.

I think in total there are about 4 pointers that the receiving server could think that lithium is an originator of spam.
Most specifically the lithium smtp server is dropping packets which 1) they should respond to to avoid greylisting 2) some servers deliberately wait a couple of seconds to avoid spam and the lithium server is timing out too quickly.

Code: [Select]
2016-04-11 10:02:15 SMTP connection from smtp2.lithium.com [46.19.168.11]:51745 lost
2016-04-11 10:04:22 SMTP connection from [46.19.168.11]:60148 (TCP/IP connection count = 1)
2016-04-11 10:04:34 SMTP connection from smtp2.lithium.com [46.19.168.11]:60148 lost

Although it has been fixed for TSO and Vidahost, there will be other hosting companies out there who use CPanel, so if you still have a problem it may be worth while mentioning how smtp2.lithium drops the connection if there is any delay.

-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2016, 08:14:11 PM »

Yeah based on what was reported on tBB, this is whats happened.

TSOhost (and all its sister companies) configure their email servers to have an artifical delay before accepting email, this is an antispam measure.  It does not breach RFC.

Lithium on the other hand configure their mail servers to be impatient and if they cannot quickly do the email transaction they abort, and try again after a specified delay (which also seems configured very large).  Lithium's configuration does breach RFC.  I expect its a misguided configuration to lower load on their email servers.

I wasnt affected as I dont add the artificial delay to my email servers, although I have considered doing it multiple times in the past.
Pages: 1 2 [3]