Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: G.INP rollout 2016 - ECI cabs  (Read 33361 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
G.INP rollout 2016 - ECI cabs
« on: April 09, 2016, 12:23:38 PM »

As already reported Openreach commenced rollout of G.INP to their ECI estate in March 2016.

We have been following progress of the roll-out and for the vast majority of lines this appears to have been successful, with most users have seen an increase in their sync rates.
However, it became apparent a few days ago that some lines were seeing behaviour that looks suspiciously like the ECI modem - Issue 1 problem.   Affected lines are able to sync but not get a valid PPP session.   

Openreach have identified those lines which they suspect could be susceptible to this particular fault.   
As a precaution Openreach has ceased rollout of g.inp for those affected lines only. 
Retransmission has also been removed from any lines which have an increased risk of developing this fault regardless if they were affected or not.

Links:

What is G.INP Retransmission?
Questions about Openreach implementation of G.INP
G.INP -  BT rollout 2015
ECI cabinets & G.INP discussion
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: G.INP rollout 2016 - ECI cabs
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 12:38:38 PM »

I dont know for certain and I must stress that this is just pure speculation on my part, but Im wondering is the 'affected lines' could perhaps be those on ECI cabinets which were updated to IFTN:0xb206.
This update had some sort of fix applied in respect of the upstream FEC count.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 12:58:16 PM »

thanks for the update kitz, I am confused tho by this line.

"As a precaution Openreach has ceased rollout of g.inp has ceased for those affected lines only."

Have they suspended the rollout or have they just suspended it for those lines identified as problematic?  So in other words what does it mean for people like me who havent been moved over yet.

For reference my cabinet is 206.

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 01:01:16 PM »

Hello Kitz,

Your comment about IFTN:0xb206 appears to tie in with my line. Since the flurry of activity with the news of rollout of G.inp to ECI cabinets, I have been eagerly waiting to see what effect it might have on my line. It appears from stats displayed in DSLstats that my local cabinet is indeed IFTN:0xb206, and there has been no indication that G.inp has been applied to my line. The only thing that I did notice was that on or around 23 March, my power levels were reduced from 11 DS to 2.9 and 2.9 US, which seems to have followed a resync at this time.

I suppose it's a waiting game again, until the boffins sort this problem out.

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 01:30:55 PM »

Have they suspended the rollout or have they just suspended it for those lines identified as problematic?

Its not been totally suspended - Only for those lines which Openreach suspect could develop a problem. 

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 01:39:33 PM »

For reference my cabinet is 206.

Your comment about IFTN:0xb206 appears to tie in with my line.

Thanks guys for the confirmation.   So far its looking like it may be.

I dont know yet what they are going to do.  If it is that, then presumably they either need to roll back to IFTN:0xb204 or put a fix out for 206.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 01:39:41 PM »

ok thanks, so its possible somehow they have detected my line to be in the category of risk and took it out of the queue for migration.

you think its 206 lines that are been suspended then?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 01:45:43 PM »

Its looking like it, but its speculation on my part. I dont have anything official that says whether it is or not.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 02:01:15 PM »

Then again, it may not be.   Just noticed mikeZ still has g.inp and I think he's on 206.   
Will have to wait see if his gets removed over the next few days.

---
ETA

I now think it may be a Red Herring!

mikeb is showing typical signs of the problem, but according to his stats ATU-C Information Vendor ID: b5004946 544eb204

---
Edited again.
On closer inspection of stats - this  leads me to suspect a modem issue rather than ECI cab specific.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 04:31:53 PM by kitz »
-----

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 02:28:39 PM »

Then again, it may not be.   Just noticed mikeZ still has g.inp and I think he's on 206.   
Will have to wait see if his gets removed over the next few days.

---
ETA

mikeb is showing typical signs of the problem, but according to his stats ATU-C Information Vendor ID: b5004946 544eb204

I am on a 206 version and lost g.inp yesterday.

Cheers

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 03:44:07 PM »

I think the 206 reasoning is logical, we will have to wait and see if other 206 users get disabled, or if other 206 users get enabled.

daveesh1

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 03:46:28 PM »

I am still on 206 with G.inp at the moment

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 04:16:24 PM »

ETA

Having just looked at mike's stats in more detail.   It's far more likely that in his case the issue was with modem firmware not being g.inp compatible.  After updating with new firmware the line is now showing more normal behaviour.   An Openreach Engineer has also recently reset the DLM, which is probably why he now has downstream interleaving and no g.inp.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 04:29:46 PM »

I am still on 206 with G.inp at the moment

I have no idea if/when it will be removed. 

It has taken them a several weeks so far to get around to applying retransmission on those lines they have  as there's only so many they can do in one day.
It was only a couple of days ago that they decided to start reversing it, so this will take longer than suspending. 

I'm sure I said somewhere in the long thread about 2015 roll-out how many lines they could do per night, but I cant recall what that figure was now.   
-----

Terranova667

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 04:50:51 PM »

I had a reset last night about 1am, IP profile has risen back up to 46Mb and latency has dropped back down to it's normal 13-15ms It could well be that G.INP has been turned off on my line as Bob on the Plusnet forum said was happening Or Openreach already has a fix i dunno,  I can't confirm if G.INP is off until tomorrow when the Plusnet staff are around to check due to my locked Openreach ECI modem but i have a feeling it's off because everything is as it was before G.INP was enabled

seems things are indeed not going to plan ECI G.INP Mk2 incoming sometime soon  :D.   

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

anything