Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fantastic effort  (Read 3705 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Fantastic effort
« on: April 08, 2016, 10:43:39 AM »

Great results.

I am absolutely delighted to share the news that – following the tireless work by thousands of our engineers – we have hit a major milestone that now sees 90% of the UK being able to enjoy superfast broadband.

Openreach has excelled in rolling out fibre in what is one of the fastest deployments in the world. And we should feel rightfully proud of the part we have played in building Britain’s connected future.

We have come a long way since July 2009 when north London’s Muswell Hill and Cardiff suburb, Whitchurch kicked off FTTC (fibre-to-the-cabinet) trials. Since then we have been working at an incredible pace, passing an average of around 85,000 premises every week, to get us to the 25 million we see today.

While it is absolutely a milestone to celebrate, we still have lots to do as we work to help deliver the Government’s 95% UK coverage target. And we will continue to innovate and explore in order to improve speeds for the million or so premises in the final few per cent of the country.

With your hard work, determination and pride, we have helped deliver affordable superfast services to the vast majority of the country in the fastest possible time. Thank you for your help in making this happen.

We will build upon our efforts and – with your help – today’s superfast will soon become tomorrow’s ultrafast.

Clive Selley
CEO, Openreach

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: Fantastic effort
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 11:22:33 AM »

Woohoo!  :thumbs:

I noticed yesterday that TBB's coverage tracker read 89.9% ... and today has changed to 90% too.

Their story on hitting the target:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7391-uk-hits-the-90-superfast-broadband-coverage-target.html

As ever with such targets, though, it's straight on to the next one!  :whip:

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 12:44:34 PM »

Here is the Oxfordshire detailed progress one plus postcodes map
(It's a nigh on impossible url to find via searching - and its a slow server)

https://public.tableau.com/views/OxonCoverage/Viewcoverageinyourarea?:showVizHome=no&:embed=y
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 12:46:35 PM by c6em »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 12:45:04 PM »

Cheers for the further link, W3 .................. and you are as usual, 100% correct .............. you can't hit a moving target so the joy will be short-lived.  ;) ;D ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 12:45:43 PM »

Sorry c6em ...... post clash.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 06:01:01 PM »

The seven year between the original trials and now seems to have passed in a flash.  :o

It does not seem all that long ago when I was searching for details of (and images of the equipment in use at) the Muswell Hill trial.  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 08:40:33 PM »

Its took them a while, but this is a good milestone for BT as since privatisation they were stale for decades, good job from the previous CEO Ian Livingston who pushed this along.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 01:20:01 AM »

Without wanting to be too much of a killjoy, worth pointing out that these statistics appear to be about VDSL availability, as opposed to 'super fast' broadband.   I am sure Mr Selley's legal team will have scrutinised the press release, but I am rather surprised they allowed the wording.

One can be on FTTC VDSL, yet such a distance from cabinet as to get fairly modest speeds.  I for one am very grateful that I have download speed in the 20s, far superior to the 3-4Mbps I had before FTTC.  I can now watch Netflix and Apple TV, and I can upload at about ten-fold adsl1 speeds.   And and that is thanks to BT, with local authority funding. 

But let's not get carried away and start calling 20Mbps 'super fast'.   It's not, by any stretch of imagination super fast, but is typical of many rural FTTC users.  >:(

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 07:20:06 PM »

Where did Joe Garner go?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 07:21:27 PM »

Nationwide Building Society

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 07:23:03 PM »

Is that a joke? :lol:

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2016, 07:38:39 PM »

No he came from HSBC

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 08:32:13 PM »

CEO's are accountants more or less, they are picked for their financing managing abilities not technical knowledge of the product.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 08:41:17 PM »

Nationwide has recruited Joe Garner, the boss of BT’s Openreach division, as its new chief executive as the UK’s largest building society attempts to keep up with digital developments and fend off competition in retail banking.

Nationwide said Mr Garner’s remuneration would be broadly comparable with Mr Beale’s. That package last year amounted to £2.39m, including a base salary of £875,000

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 09:28:47 PM »

They also often come up via the sales route as well as the finance route.  The old way was via the operations/manufacturing side which you rarely see now.

And life at that sort of level of a CEO, top level director or UK area director in a international company is very far from the one that many think it is.
Depending on the business you can find

1. The executive spends huge amount of time traveling and in meetings as most of the job involves getting in new business, or for example in the case of a university boss desperately getting in money. 
Even I at a much lower level was once traveling so much that I had to look at the hotel information card in the room when I woke up to remember which country I was in today: it had just become a blur of endless planes, meetings and hotels, I had no idea where I was and all the international hotels look the same!

2.  Their family life is often non existent.  One I know at this level has only once managed an uninterrupted family holiday ever - they are always called back on some major issue.  Their wives are often more like single mothers albeit highly 'paid' ones - the husband is simply never around. They have PA's to sort out their diary and other things because they have to - there is simply not the time - it is 100% work.

3. They can be and are dispatched abroad at almost a moments notice for long spells and they have to lump it and the family has to go regardless of the disruption.  So you can be told with only a few months notice that you are working in South America for the next 4 years. 
Indeed part of the training/experience for a top level director post in an international company is spells spent overseas spent managing some region.

4. The market for them if they loose their job is rather small - there are not that many CEO position and even less vacant ones.  Ironically where it comes to retirement it is the CEO's who have the greatest difficulties in adjusting: far more so than the average worker.
They simply cannot cope with nothing to do and will not have built up hobbies and interests to now do full time.

Pages: [1] 2