Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ISP Virgin Media Cuts Superfast UK Cable Broadband and Phone Prices  (Read 2043 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

ISP Virgin Media Cuts Superfast UK Cable Broadband and Phone Prices

Cable operator Virgin Media has cut an extra £1 off its broadband and phone discounts and extended how long they last for from 6 to 12 months. The reductions only apply to bundles and so you still have to pay line rental from £15.33 per month (when pre-paid for 1 year) or £17.99 as standard.

Otherwise all customers are subject to an 18 month contract and receive a free SuperHub wireless router, unlimited usage, as well as unlimited weekend calls to UK landlines (inc. 0870 numbers and Virgin Mobile numbers), free access to Virgin’s WiFi hotspots (e.g. London Underground Stations), free Internet security + Parental Controls, free email and free self-install with QuickStart.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: ISP Virgin Media Cuts Superfast UK Cable Broadband and Phone Prices
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 08:55:25 PM »

pretty misleading title on that article.

VM havent cut baseline prices, but just made certain offers slightly more generous.  However overall with the annual prices rises these customers will be paying more.

Not blaming you for the title as you just copy and pasted from ispreview, but I would expect ispreview to see through this and word their article appropriately.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 12:04:28 AM »

I would imagine ISPreview wrote the title themselves.

I have to wonder sometimes if some sites dont get abit too close to ISP's and end up, maybe subconciously being a PR person for them.

It's one thing being critical of ISP's and holding a personal opinion. But I'd say the flip side is I can imagine it could be easy to over-compensate the other way and end up putting a spin on the news too.

I'd say it was the same for most businesses dealing with public opinion.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 03:26:30 PM »

Well these articles are sourced from PR announcements of the respective companies, they will issue a press release, and then media sites will publish them as news.  There tends to be a lot of trust involved, enough that a full copy and paste is deemed sufficient.