Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Re: BeThere - Are they Good?  (Read 7755 times)

philangst

Re: BeThere - Are they Good?
« on: March 25, 2008, 06:48:25 PM »

H all. My first post on here although I've been reading a lot.

I joined BE about 2 weeks ago and somewhat underwhelmed by the sync speed I'm getting at the moment. I was hoping/expecting 12-13mbps with my attenuation figure of 29.5db and snr margin of 6. However I'm lucky to sync at 7.7mbps. I've tried the usual e.g. BT test socket, different filters, turned off possible sources of interference, no other devices on line etc..
BE technical want me to ring them to 'run some tests on my line' which I will do but if what I've read on is anything to go by Ive zero change of BT Openreach getting involved if there is a problem!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 06:54:05 PM by philangst »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 09:32:52 PM »

Hi phil and welcome.

Just a thought - what upstream are you on. 
Obviously the higher upstream will take some away from your downstream.

Although saying that I would still expect a lot more on a 21dB line than 7.7Mbps.
What stats did you have before going to Be?  Do you have a record of them ?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

philangst

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 11:20:53 PM »

Hi phil and welcome.

Just a thought - what upstream are you on. 
Obviously the higher upstream will take some away from your downstream.

Although saying that I would still expect a lot more on a 21dB line than 7.7Mbps.
What stats did you have before going to Be?  Do you have a record of them ?

Thanks Kitz. Latest Router stats below for info....

When I was on 8mb adslmax with F2S I synced at 5.5mb. I've tried everything I can locally (test socket, high quality filter, turned off sources of interference, no internal wiring, no bell wire). The BT cable looks like its underground to the exchange. I need to ring BE tomorrow to 'run some tests'.

I've tried DMT but not really sure what I'm looking for?

Link Information

Uptime:   0 days, 4:30:26
Modulation:   G.992.5 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   818 / 7,979
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:   10.61 / 46.04
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   13.0 / 29.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   6.0 / 5.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / µ
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   4 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   5 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   2,055 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 44,069,797
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   123 / 736
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   256 / 418

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 01:20:21 PM »

Thanks Kitz. Latest Router stats below for info....

When I was on 8mb adslmax with F2S I synced at 5.5mb. I've tried everything I can locally (test socket, high quality filter, turned off sources of interference, no internal wiring, no bell wire). The BT cable looks like its underground to the exchange. I need to ring BE tomorrow to 'run some tests'.

I've tried DMT but not really sure what I'm looking for?

Link Information

Uptime:   0 days, 4:30:26
Modulation:   G.992.5 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   818 / 7,979
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:   10.61 / 46.04
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   13.0 / 29.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   6.0 / 5.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / µ
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   4 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   5 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):   0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   2,055 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 44,069,797
CRC Errors (Up/Down):   123 / 736
HEC Errors (Up/Down):   256 / 418

You have a wiring problem. I don't know whether its internal or external to your property but every time I have seen both reduced upstream and loss of framing errors then it has been due to dodgy/cheap wiring - usually internal extensions. If you don't have a wiring problem then you are living next to a MW radio transmitter!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 01:37:35 PM »

Hi Phil - Im sorry I missed seeing your post the other day in the other thread.

Therefore Ive just split your topic away from the other so that your info is all together and your query doesnt get lost amongst the other convo going on.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 01:44:20 PM »

Phil, would you please run the DMT tool and then post a screenshot of the screen which shows bit loading, SNR etc.

It'll be easier to get an idea of the problem from that - assuming that you're still using the BeBox?

philangst

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 12:30:21 PM »

Phil, would you please run the DMT tool and then post a screenshot of the screen which shows bit loading, SNR etc.

It'll be easier to get an idea of the problem from that - assuming that you're still using the BeBox?

Thanks rizla. Is this what you need?

[attachment deleted by admin]

philangst

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 01:33:21 PM »

I've also run the snr monitor (results attached). I am still using the BE modem/router

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 02:52:05 PM »

I'm not being facetious but do you actually live near a radio transmitter?

You have massive noise problems from the looks of that graph, in fact I can't recollect ever seeing that many gaps reported by DMT :(

Can you connect the BeBox into the test socket behind the front plate of the master BT socket and then post the screenshots again please? I know you've probably done this already but try again please.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 03:23:58 PM »

You have massive noise problems from the looks of that graph, in fact I can't recollect ever seeing that many gaps reported by DMT :(

sheesh just look at all those gaps - over a fair range too not just in one area  ???  :o

-----

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 04:59:42 PM »

For comparison here's a screenshot of my Be line when I was with them :

philangst

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 11:03:31 PM »

Thanks. I've been connected to the BT test socket behind the faceplate since day 1 so thats where the DMT results are from. I don't think I live near a radio transmitter or mobile mast and don't have any internal extensions connected at all

I have previously synced at 9mbps but the connection has been up and stable for almost 3 days at 7.5mbps.

Having done some reading, noise problems seem very hard to diagnose! I'm guessing it could be locally inside my house or even in neighboring houses from faulty power supplies, thermostats, street lights etc....etc....

I got this reply from another forum:

Noise is everywhere. Biggest culprits seem to be crosstalk from other line pairs in the same bundle and MW transmissions. If both legs in your line pair are reasonably balanced impedance-wise and twisted evenly then common-mode rejection built into the DSL hardware can combat a lot of the noise. However if your line is not balanced and twisted properly then the noise affects the DSL transmissions significantly.

I've not entirely ruled out a BT fault and I sill need to ring BE to check it with them but the BT quiet line test is clear so I don't hold out much hope of getting BT involved to resolve this.

I'll try DMT again when the modem re-syncs but do you have any advice in the meantime? Thanks Phil
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:08:11 PM by philangst »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 01:41:49 AM »

>> Having done some reading, noise problems seem very hard to diagnose!

Unfortunately yes :(

Theres some info on REIN faults on the main site.
Yes crosstalk can be a problem, but I dont think Ive ever seen crosstalk cause a pattern like that.
Whatever is causing the problem appears to be on several frequencies hence the natural assumption of a radio transmitter.
Electronics isnt my forte Im afraid, so hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge could comment.
-----

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 07:27:13 PM »

It's possible that the big gap centred on 1796 kHz could be a nearby transmitter of some sort and the other gaps are caused by the production of harmonics and subharmonics from that fundamental. Looking at the frequency allocation charts Amateur Radio "top band" goes from 1.8 - 2.0 MHz so that seems a bit too high unless it's a rogue amateur. The other allocation that falls spot on that frequency is for early cordless phones or unapproved America cordless phones. Is it possible that someone close by has an old cordless phone he has just obtained or maybe recommissioned. Or this could all be pie in the Sky - but it's meant to be helpful!
Tony

philangst

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 07:36:30 PM »

Thanks for your help. As I suspected BE tell me there is no problem with the line and everything looks normal. BE have decreased my SNR margin to 3 which may have not been the best move with the errors the router was showing although its increased the sync speed by about 1.5mb.

From my limited research I don't think I have a mobile/radio transmitter in my postcode.

Can I just ask if the noise issue on my line could be caused by a dodgy BT drop cable to my house or the wiring to the NTE5? Is it more likely to be some electrical interference inside or in the vicinity of the house?

DMT results with the new SNR margin. Is this worse? Plenty of crc errors

« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 09:03:44 PM by philangst »
Pages: [1] 2

anything