Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Lost 15Mb/s in under 24hrs / 53Mb/s in 3 months  (Read 26982 times)

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
Re: Lost 15Mb/s in under 24hrs / 53Mb/s in 3 months
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2016, 08:59:48 PM »

Well looks like something was gping on last night whilst I was at work...

Noticed some odd SNR fluctuation and then a spike back to my orginal speed....

Really would like to know whats emmiting the noise onto my line.

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2016, 09:09:20 PM »

That looks like one of your sources of crosstalk disappeared for a few minutes, so it just looks like someone's modem just resynced.

That's just the way it is unfortunately say if that specific person didn't have FTTC then you'd get those speeds but as they do you aren't going to get those speeds.

Added image of a power-cut which resulted in me being the only one connected to the cabinet so no crosstalk.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 09:12:04 PM by S.Stephenson »

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2016, 09:27:33 PM »

It just haapened again at 21:06....

This sort of thing gets to my ASD...

Dave2150

• Reg Member
« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2016, 09:30:59 PM »

It just haapened again at 21:06....

Look on the bright side, your syncing at 70mbit - which is far higher than the average FTTC user on these forums. Would you like to swap with my 36mbit line? Didn't think so! Be happy with what you have  ;)

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #124 on: May 01, 2016, 09:33:05 PM »

Look on the bright side, your syncing at 70mbit - which is far higher than the average FTTC user on these forums. Would you like to swap with my 36mbit line? Didn't think so! Be happy with what you have  ;)
Yep.... just settle for what you have when you cpould have more.... good attitude I find......  ::)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:46:56 PM by burakkucat »

Dave2150

• Reg Member
« Reply #125 on: May 01, 2016, 10:06:05 PM »

Yep.... just settle for what you have when you cpould have more.... good attitude I find......  ::)

Expect you can't have more, without paying for a leased line. Fiber on demand is still on hiatus, so your options are limited. Attitude has nothing to do with it - you simply cannot make your line go faster than it is currently.

My point was that 70Mbit is a very good sync for FTTC. You should be happy with this - as there are many people who have less than half of what you have, and have to put up with it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:48:48 PM by burakkucat »

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2016, 01:12:20 PM »

Expect you can't have more, without paying for a leased line. Fiber on demand is still on hiatus, so your options are limited. Attitude has nothing to do with it - you simply cannot make your line go faster than it is currently.

My point was that 70Mbit is a very good sync for FTTC. You should be happy with this - as there are many people who have less than half of what you have, and have to put up with it.

Well to start, my line is much more than just capable of 80mbps however theres faults causing this not to be the case right now, the line in January was performing very well with an attainable of 116mb, yet its BT's inept infrstructure that limits its capabilities.

I would be happy with 70Mbps with consistent errors if I was living in an hold house with old cabling in a remote area... however I live in a new building right at the centre of a city with 100's of Gigabytes running past my front door in fibre's, I live 600m by cable from the telephone exchange and half that from the cabinet which is very capable of using all the features of VDSL2 to provide a briliant service... however I've been told point blank that they won't spend the money to fix the problem which is well known in the area, worse still I've been informed to expect further speed loss to around 35-45mbps...

So I find it a bit hard to 'put up with it' when I've done everything to minimise any reasons for sub-standard quality of service and the end result comes that British Telecommunicatios cannot be trusted to manage the infrstructure locally to me.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2016, 01:32:05 PM »

This I was aware of - takes one to know one. These irritations get somewhat more bearable with age.

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2016, 01:36:12 PM »

This I was aware of - takes one to know one. These irritations get somewhat more bearable with age.

Sure they do, as a kid I would probably be growling at the modem  ::) ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2016, 02:40:26 PM »

That spike certainly looks like a crosstalker performing a retrain of his modem.   We all get them.  :(

Last year I did a random look at some stats based on members of this community's stats and the average loss through crosstalk was some-where just slightly over 20Mbps. It wasn't scientific, just based on what stats I could get hold of.   Some people who are closer to the cab lost the most - mine now is somewhere ~ 28 Mbps, but hard to tell because Im using a modem that gives a higher rate and also I was far from first on the cab.

Crosstalk is a major problem for vdsl.  It occurs in the lab and is even worse in the field. I sometimes wonder if Openreach themselves under-estimated the impact of Crosstalk in field.    Unfortunately there is nothing that Openreach can do about cross-talk unless they implement vectoring.   But considering how g.inp is going, I suspect vectoring on vdsl2 may be reserved for the BDUK type installs.
The ideal solution would be replacing the M41's but with talk of g.fast they now seem to be going down a different route.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2016, 10:43:07 PM »

Hmm, 28mb loss sounds ok but is this attainable or actual?

I've lost 38-40mb so far after all and that still continues to drop 1000kbps at a time.... dreading this beast http://www.crawleyobserver.co.uk/news/local/developer-increases-number-of-flats-from-173-to-185-in-crawley-office-conversion-1-6690727 next door getting connected
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:58:45 PM by mlmclaren »

mlmclaren

• Reg Member
« Reply #131 on: May 26, 2016, 02:12:12 PM »

Well just noticed my SNR had increased and my max attinable was 80000 so done a reboot of HG612 and will see how that carry's on....
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

anything