Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Slow connection to the UK  (Read 2890 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Slow connection to the UK
« on: April 01, 2016, 06:08:39 PM »

I've just returned from a weeks holiday at Center Parcs De Kempervennen  :) Now because the Netherlands is not a feel at home country on Three I opted to pay for a weeks wi-fi pass, I didn't expect it to be up to much but speed tests showed I was getting 23/4Mbps which is great for a holiday park, and on Wi-Fi. Yes I know I should be enjoying myself and not reading the net, but the wife and kids like to 'rest'.

That was until I tried reading the forums on Kitz, or looking at My DSL Stats website, it would seem that almost any UK website would grind to a crawl or just completely stall. So I tried a speed to test to the UK, one based in Sittingbourne that I use for testing my home connection and got a lowly 13/3.4 kB/s! Testing again immediately to Antwerp gave 12.8/2Mbps, so I don't think it was contention on the parks network, also to back this up when kitz stalled I could easily google and get results, go back to kitz forum and we'd be on a go slow again.

So what would cause the slow connection to the UK?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Slow connection to the UK
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 01:06:50 AM »

Their transit provider (ie Level3) or peering point congestion. 

I know you're on mobile but are you able to do a tracert?   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »

Hi Kitz, I'm back now, don't like to let on that we're away on holiday for obvious reasons.

I have Ping Tools installed on my tablet, which can do all sorts of things, even map a traceroute, but it couldn't even get out of the Netherlands when I tried it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 12:00:52 PM »

If you were using their own wi-fi, I wonder if they had some sort of overseas QoS going on? 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 11:09:34 AM »

There was wi-fi in the villa, and it was run by KPN, there was certainly something weird happening, but without being there it'll be impossible to work out what was causing it. It did mean I managed to read some of my PC Pro magazines instead  :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 01:00:26 PM »

Some providers will indeed international transit bad due to the costs, in the UK peering is probably the cheapest in europe, I have seen isp's in romania e.g. actually apply seperate usage limits for traffic depending if its .ro or non .ro.

With that said holland has a lot of good connectivity, so what you posted here seems very extreme.  It to me tho seems either a deliberate shaping policy or just a international connectivity capacity problem.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 01:43:35 PM »

@Ronski... The place you were staying - being Easter week, were there perhaps an unusually high proportion of Brit's?

I'm just vaguely wondering if the impact might have been caused by some traffic shaping or bottleneck that arose from an unusually high percentage of site users all accessing UK at the same time..?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 03:34:27 PM »

It was Centre Parcs and there was quite a lot of Brit's, but I'd say we was in the middle minority. Time of day didn't seem to affect things.