Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What are Plusnet like now?  (Read 6107 times)

tommy45

• Reg Member
Re: What are Plusnet like now?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 09:30:44 PM »

Yes their profile  robbed me of around 2mbps throughput , They should offer the customers a choice of disabling their management  as those like me never needed it,  no benefit to me at all,

It doesnt benefit any of the customers.  It benefits them.    iirc they are supposed to do some sort of profile.   Just wish they could do it on sync.   They gave a reason why they used ip-profile something to do with the delta reports from BTw..  but other isps such as AAISP can do so.

Try  a tracert to 216.98.48.56 that  always used Level3 and AS6453.net (TATA ) and there was a lot of variance in the latency , and the route it took sometimes  was really dumb.

Bear in mind,  Im on their new network, so no LTP2 which would normally hide the RAS hops.

Code: [Select]
Tracing route to lb-lsg-prod.ubisoft.com [216.98.48.56]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4     5 ms     5 ms     4 ms  172.17.8.77
  5    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  172.17.12.2
  6    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  be2.pcn-ir01.plus.net [195.166.129.164]
  7    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  195.99.125.136
  8    12 ms    11 ms    12 ms  peer6-hu0-1-0-1.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [195.99.127.25]
  9    12 ms    11 ms    11 ms  t2c3-et-3-1-0-0.uk-lon1.eu.bt.net [166.49.211.236]
 10    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  166-49-211-38.eu.bt.net [166.49.211.38]
 11    97 ms    97 ms    97 ms  xe-9-0-0.mtl10.ip4.gtt.net [141.136.105.162]
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Nearly forgot about their web blocking,(pandering to the media companies  ect, ) not to mention so called legit web sites randomly being un accessible  to pn customers at times,  Does that bug still exist were a web site will fail to load  on the first attempt to connect?

Ummm...  not aware of any of this.   Not experienced it here that I know of.
I use google DNS rather than Plusnet's DNS servers, if that makes any difference.
I had a problem last year accessing vodafone, but that was down to vodafone stuffing up - it wasnt restricted to just PN.  It also affected BT and Virgin.

Yeah their IP implementation  sucks when compared to that of other ISP's  which are seamless and transparent and have no adverse impact on throughput

I never used Pn's often flaky DNS servers but i still got the issue of web sites failing to load  on 1st attempt

I think this relates to that issue http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135270.0.html

So they are using BTW's peering  for that now, well for those who like you at least  have been migrated  onto the other so called network , But that may change  at some point in the future once they have completed  the migration from wbmc shared They are using GTT who bought Tinet As Ubi only peers with 2 providers for some insane reason

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 01:01:45 AM »

They are a business who have a strategy, plans and are probably more than aware of what is right/wrong internally. Some things they can share, others they simply don't want to. It seems like because we have Twitter, Facebook and forums that people seem to think they have the right to what might/can be commercially sensitive stuff for everyone these days.

The Plusnet forums are rife with it, you only need to look at the new network thread and the same people coming back asking for rollout plans, dates, times and then coming back asking for updates!!! It's crackers.

I feel the same way, I've been with Plusnet numerous times from dialup in the 90s to fibre more recently, the only time I've ever had to correct a mistake they made was last year when they incorrectly gave me a contract early termination charge.

They are a bargain basement ISP that actually manages to provide decent, friendly, UK support - unlike BT for whom residential support is a dirty word and an expense that needs to be pared to the absolute minimum, or TalkTalk who will take three days on average to reply to a post on their UK forum. If people are complaining about Plusnet then exactly who are they comparing them with - because the alternatives tend to be dire at similar price points.

Because Plusnet staff actually engage with customers this leads to communities forming which in turn leads to gossip and generally taking Plusnet for granted. Now I like a good natter as much as anybody else but at the end of the day I'm paying peanuts and in that context I'm not going to hold Plusnet to impossibly high standards. If people are unhappy with Plusnet they should stick their hand in their pocket and pay extra for whatever ISP suits them best.

I haven't spent time criticising their network because it's not normally an issue, there isn't much to  differentiate mass market ISPs offering low prices for typical customers but Plusnet has managed it by offering UK customer service.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 01:04:47 AM by phi2008 »

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 09:04:39 AM »

Plusnet then exactly who are they comparing them with - because the alternatives tend to be dire at similar price points.

When I joined Plusnet their DSL price was roughly twice that of the cheapest on offer, but their promotion cancelled that out over the initial contract period.  (Plusnet £17.49, free for 12 months compared to Post Office £8 free for 6 months, both 18 month contracts).   Given Plusnet's reputation as a decent provider I thought that worth a punt, reckoning that by the end of the contract I'd know whether they were worth the extra.

As it happens my experience was so bad that I'm jumping ship after only 8 months,  I'll be paying more for the DSL but saving around £7.50pm on the phone line, which almost cancels out the extra DSL cost.   I guess I'd say they are "Bargain Basement" if you're on one of their free DSL promotions, but if you're paying the actual price they're not that cheap.

G.DMT

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 09:16:36 PM »

Furthermore their page showing your profile is now not accessible from the account menus, they've chosen to remove the link so unless you have a note of the URL you can't check to see if it's updated yet.

So, to help others who cannot now access those details, could you post here the URL that you have saved?
thanks  :)

aesmith

• Kitizen

G.DMT

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 10:29:27 PM »

@aesmith

Thanks for that.

Unfortunetely that URL delivers the same content as the I see using the link I have bookmarked
for line speed, https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
wherein  the 'Current line speed:' is the figure available at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com
for the 20CN IPstream speed limit.

Telephone number:
    NNNNNNNNNNN
Phone exchange:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
Estimated line speed:
    1.0Mb (This may vary between 0.75Mb and 2.5Mb) - Checked on 2016-05-20 16:02:43
Current line speed:
    2 Mb

[edit: fixed missing link]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 06:17:06 PM by G.DMT »

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2016, 08:58:05 AM »

Unfortunetely that URL delivers the same content as the I see using the link I have bookmarked

Not quite, what that link shows is the speed that Plusnet think your line has, based on figures that should be updated from BTW.   All to often it is not the same, giving rise to the problems discussed above.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything