Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dos protection  (Read 1325 times)

roberto2212

Dos protection
« on: March 29, 2016, 09:55:27 AM »

Question: any advices if I need turn on dos protection in router asus Rt-ac66u for online gaming?..any advantages or  side effects?...thanks for help

plexy

• Reg Member
Re: Dos protection
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 10:37:20 AM »

Depending on how much CPU it uses to enable, it may not be worth it. Most nefarious individuals with the capability to launch a DoS attack nowadays would swamp any home line, just one server in a datacentre with good connectivity is enough to DoS a home line with a volumetric UDP attack to consume the bandwidth, thus denying service.

DoS protection in home routers tends to protect/limit SYNs, Pings, echo etc. While that is still valid protection, chronologically I find it along the lines of keeping a bale of hay out front of your house just incase a horse and carriage with the lord and lady of the manor passes by. The protection is for attack vectors that are rarely seen

If theres no noticeable change in performance with it on, then sure leave it on as it offers some protection. But if there is a performance hit, in my opinion its probably not worth it .

--
SSE 80/20
Sky 40/10
Zen 80/20
Bonded: 200/50 (in progress)

Hardware:Hg612/HH5/Tg589vac/Linux SBC router

roberto2212

Re: Dos protection
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 11:29:05 AM »

Thanks, I will test cpu.

anything