Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 2 power cuts and line fault  (Read 1867 times)

central scrutiniser

2 power cuts and line fault
« on: March 31, 2016, 04:55:46 PM »

We have had two power cuts and a line fault over the Easter weekend.The modem  is  only now showing  73  13   as opposed to 80 20  link uptime 1 day 4 hrs.

The BTW line test gives 68.5  profile  (62.85 actual ) down, 20 profile ( 12.5  actual ). The line fault has been cleared and we have a working phone again. I'm wondering what to do to get the modem back up to speed, do I need to reset it somehow ie leave it off for a while, hard reset etc.., or is it just a matter of waiting for it to adjust itself upwards as it were ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: 2 power cuts and line fault
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 05:23:32 PM »

Was the line fault cleared by an Openreach technician? Was s/he dispatched for a telephony (network) fault? Or was s/he multi-skilled and versed in the knowledge of broadband circuits?

If the latter, I would have expected the circuit to have been reset (a "recalc", if I remember correctly what Black Sheep has explained in the past). Now if the fault was cleared and the circuit was reset before the two power outages occurred, there could be the possibility that they have induced the DLM to take "grumpy action"!

The best thing you can now do is to leave all the equipment alone and just wait for the DLM to revert its actions.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

central scrutiniser

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 06:17:05 PM »

I reported the line fault last Thursday to my isp they gave me a completion time of by midnight 31st. Over the weekend two separate power outages Sat eve Sun afternoon.Had a phone call from Openreach yesterday morning saying they had worked and cleared the fault, and asking me to confirm line was operational, which it is.

I must commend Origin broadband here pretty quick of the mark, and told me time date to expect the fault to be cleared

But it was functional / repaired Saturday AM prior to the outages, and could well have been reset by them, but the storms could have undone their work, as it were.

As regards any reset, unless it can be done from Bombay or wherever Openreach operate from these days I could not guess who if anyone has worked on it.Origin told me it was a first leg fault from my exchange.

I shall wait another week or so to see if anything improves.

Thanks for reply.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 06:31:14 PM »

Ah, I now understand. No visit to your property was required for the fault to be cleared. The two power outages would have been noticed by the DLM but without constant monitoring of your circuit's statistics it would be impossible to say, for sure, whether they provoked the DLM to take any action.

Your proposed plan of action -- to review the situation weekly -- would be sensible.

As far as I am aware, Openreach HQ is still in Judd Street, London (the B504)!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 06:58:58 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

William Grimsley

• Kitizen
    • Newton Poppleford Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 08:35:51 PM »

Do you think I should go there to get my line reset? :lol: :lol: :lol: